Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I soon plan on moving to Iowa. I have nothing keeping me home here in Alabama. I was just wandering if anyone can explain to me the difference in south central Iowa, around Decatur And Wayne Counties, and Southeast Iowa, around the Van Buren County and Lee County areas, when it come to deer populations, size, and just the terrain differences?

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
12,866 Posts
Generally similar terrain, deer populations and deer size. All great areas for deer hunting. The trick will be finding access to good land if you can't buy or lease your own.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Carroll county

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Thanks guys! So what would you consider to be the best county in Iowa for big bucks and/or deer population?
There are plenty of resources to help you learn all you want about that. Here is one: http://www.bowhuntingroad.com/is-this-heaven-no-iowa/

Do your research, and you will find southern Iowa a great place to live. But like someone said above, hunting access can be a challenge so make sure that is part of your decision.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I soon plan on moving to Iowa. I have nothing keeping me home here in Alabama. I was just wandering if anyone can explain to me the difference in south central Iowa, around Decatur And Wayne Counties, and Southeast Iowa, around the Van Buren County and Lee County areas, when it come to deer populations, size, and just the terrain differences?
Look up Clifford Martin on FB. He lives in Iowa and is a hard core hunter (harvested two gross booners this last year). He would be a great resource and is an all around good person. Shoot him a friend request on FB. Hope this helps.

Scott

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
There is a lot less timber around the Taylor and Ringgold counties isn't there? Do you think that affects the deer population?
Some what concentrates them to locations, but deer adapt and will just lay up in CRP fields....don't just look for Timber, look for resources as well. Water and food, tall grass, etc. I would say any county you are looking at is good, just have to find that one magical spot :)

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
Some what concentrates them to locations, but deer adapt and will just lay up in CRP fields....don't just look for Timber, look for resources as well. Water and food, tall grass, etc. I would say any county you are looking at is good, just have to find that one magical spot :)
So true. I've seen dead deer along the highway and wondered, "where in the heck did that deer come from!" They certainly don't need woods apparently.

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
What you'll learn is that Iowa deer are a whole different animal than the southern deer your used to, and not just in body & antler size .... I grew up in KY, cut my teeth bowhunting the hardwood ridges here...Moved to Iowa in '07 and lived there for 5.5 years and it was a learning curve to say the least. I lived next door to Carroll County that was referenced above, that part of the state has very limited amounts of timber, mostly all crop fields "not even much CRP really"... I've had hunting buddies from KY up there and they were all like "I can't believe there's a deer in this county, there is no place for them to live"... Iowa deer have adapted to living in standing corn fields, very small strips of timber, small sections of crp and brushy fence lines. Summer scouting & early season hunting can be tough because the deer are in the standing corn and rarely come out of it...But as soon as the rut heats up and the corn is picked it's a madhouse of activity because with the crops out of the fields they all of a sudden lost their thousands of acres of bedding area and are forced into the timber. Also, the rut in Iowa is WAY different than anything you'll see in the south...When it cranks up it can be crazy at times, not uncommon to see huge bucks chase a doe right through the middle of town if your out in one of the smaller rural areas and the activity you'll see from the stand the first couple weeks of Nov will blow your mind if your not used to it....Good luck on the move, Iowa is a special place for a bowhunter, I miss it more every fall.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
What do you plan to do for employment? Seem surprising you can just go wherever the best hunting is.

Lots of jobs available...and he/she may be retired....Lots of jobs can be found if look hard enough. And if you don't live beyond your means....most jobs will get you a decent living.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What do you plan to do for employment? Seem surprising you can just go wherever the best hunting is.
What I actually want to do is be a land agent who sales farm land and hunting properties. It's just going to basically starting over in a brand new place for me. No I'm not retired, I'm actually really young but have nothing to hold me here. So I'm just kinda going to pick up and go eventually.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
What I actually want to do is be a land agent who sales farm land and hunting properties. It's just going to basically starting over in a brand new place for me. No I'm not retired, I'm actually really young but have nothing to hold me here. So I'm just kinda going to pick up and go eventually.
That's a very competitive market in most of Iowa.

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
Good luck getting in on that market in Iowa.. I tried getting in with Whitetail Properties at one time up there and I couldn't even get a response from anyone that worked for them... Those guys tend to frown upon competition it seems, even if your working for the same company.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts