Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, im wanting to buy a scent control outfit for this year but i have been holding off due to " its gota be a oven in them".

What kinda gear do you southern guys wear? Im in south Ga. and i just cant imagine not burning up in longsleaves and mask and such? Any links or websites would help. I have looked in cabelas but all their stuff wont do any good here until december or late november and then seasons almost over.

do they make a shirt and pants? all i have seen is jackets and pants. any brand is fine i just want something that i wont cook in.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I had a similar issue for early season, and bought X-Scent Base layer, Cabela's has MTP Hunt Series Silk Weight stuff that is about $25 a piece, top and bottom, that is good stuff. It is lined with Antimicrobial Silver Fibers which help eliminate the odor emitted from your body. I have nothing but good things to say about this stuff, and will likely never use anything else. That being said, I wash all my clothes, hunting clothes and regular clothes in ALL: Free & Clear Detergent, and use a scent free fabric softener. I also am very particular about keeping my boots scent-free or suppressed, and wear a thin neck gaiter over my mouth and nose to contain my respiratory tract scent that may be emitted. I cannot remember being "winded" in the last 3 yrs, and have had a few hundred deer within bow range during that period of time, including a few dandy bucks, only one of which I was able to close the deal on, but I do get close to them. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
8,161 Posts
scent loc

I have a pair of scent loc Savanna coveralls, they are very thin and not like cardboard. In early season I wear shorts and t-shirt under them and usually pack a sweatshirt in to put on under them before it gets to shooting time. I'm usually cooled down by then if not I don't put the sweat shirt on.

·
Registered
372 Posts
what part of georgia are you in. statesboro here, i use just spray so i cant coment

·
Registered
376 Posts
bodawg said:
Save your money! Scent suits are just hype! Stay clean and play the wind! Good hunting-RK
Best Answer I have seen in a while. It's all a big Jedi mind **ck. The major hunting corporations See that we as hunters will believe anything they or a " Celeb" hunter will say. We wear what they wear and we use the equipment they say is the best. Its the power of suggestion. Try this. Go to work tomorrow and find a co-worker. Tell him all day long that he doesn't look like he feels that good. At the end of the day he will be sick. For all we know they are sitting in a big office somewhere laughing at all of us, and as for scent eliminating sprays.... Smells and feels like water to me.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
eric7791 said:
bodawg said:
Save your money! Scent suits are just hype! Stay clean and play the wind! Good hunting-RK
Best Answer I have seen in a while. It's all a big Jedi mind **ck. The major hunting corporations See that we as hunters will believe anything they or a " Celeb" hunter will say. We wear what they wear and we use the equipment they say is the best. Its the power of suggestion. Try this. Go to work tomorrow and find a co-worker. Tell him all day long that he doesn't look like he feels that good. At the end of the day he will be sick. For all we know they are sitting in a big office somewhere laughing at all of us, and as for scent eliminating sprays.... Smells and feels like water to me.
Maybe not necessarily. If you happened to be a guy who hunts in a warm climate, and sweats alot, you may have issues with scent control, no matter how "clean" you are and how well you "play the wind." I think maybe you missed the point of many of these products. They aren't guaranteed to keep you scent-free, they merely help suppress your odor. Come hunt where I do, where the winds swirl, and the land is parcelled off to such and extent, if you want to hunt the winds if they will stay consistent, you would be required to trespass, and you may understand a little better. In all honesty, I quit trying to figure the wind out 3 yrs. ago when I saw how good the gear I have is, and now I just hunt, as you've heard in the commercial, I "FORGET THE WIND," and "JUST HUNT!!!" I pass up nearly 100 deer a year, so I must have something right, I think. :embara:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts