Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im writing this review to hopefully help someone else in there decision weather or not to book a hunt with southwest Iowa outfitters. We hunted with them in 2014 so we had some knowledge of what to expect as far as deer numbers, food plots, quality of land, etc. Sadly i feel the quality of deer has suffered dramatically due to EHD ,and also a lack of effort on Cole Winther's part. We booked a late muzzleloader season on the advice of cole. He felt this offered us the best chance at a trophy buck, because of food plots and quality of land. We paid 4500 a guy for a group of 5 and we joined a couple buddies from Kansas who booked also so we could have the whole camp to ourselves. Which cole told me and another one of the guys we would have if we booked 7 guys. So the day we show up we find out another guy has rebooked because he was unsuccessful earlier in the season. He also had a buddy with him which bumped the number of guys in camp to 9 instead of the 7 we thought we were gonna have. We tried to have a good attitude about the whole thing we sat all day for 5 days straight with snow and cold which should get the big ones moving. The only deer that was harvested in our group was a penalty buck which he had trail cam pics of and he called it a shooter. The deer we did see were all young does and young bucks the numbers were terrible compared to what we experienced last time due to EHD. He didn't plant any of the food plots which we had seen the last time we were in. Which is the reason we rebooked. Instead we were hunting fields with miles of cut corn sitting over 50' x 100' strips of corn if we were lucky.The hunter who rebooked was hunting a 4 acre food plot walking out of the lodge. If your gonna go here make sure your hunting close to the lodge that is were the tv hunters,and his buddies end up hunting. I know he has quality deer but unless u have deep pockets good luck. IMG_0007.jpg The last time we were in he would brag how much a person will pay to shoot a deer. The final straw for us was when Coles dad Cody went off on us because we were joking that we were gonna have to shoot a small one because all the big ones were dead. We almost packed our bags and left but knew there was no chance of getting anything back from Cole. So we decided to stick it out and hope maybe he would put in some effort. Ill post some pics of the different things i talked about and u guys can be the judge. We've done a bunch of guided hunts and feel there's other much better choices out there and i wanna make sure anyone booking here is aware of how much things have went downhill. Also pay attention to the trail cam pics no yr or date on any of them.

Attachments

·
Registered
987 Posts
I hunted this area during bow season, not with an outfitter and we tagged out in a few days. From what I was told the deer numbers are down some but we saw plenty of deer while there, also saw lots driving back to camp every night. With as little cover as there is anywhere with some timber should have decent deer numbers. Sorry you had a bad hunt.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea we had a decent hunt the first time with them. I'm pretty sure hes just getting lazy and only worries about TV hunters and buddies. We were shocked with how much worse the hunting was I'd say Iowa isn't what it once was. We hunt Kansas every yr and never had it half as bad. The down side of outfitting seems over time every thing gets over hunted. To bad there's no long term vision.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We run a construction business and we've been in business over 20 yrs. It's pretty simple take care of the customer and they keep taking care of you. The money can't be the only reason your doing it your providing a service. That's why the people keep coming back. Make it
about money and your only there until someone else can provide something better for less.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hey everyone. I'm going to keep it short, legit, and real. If anyone would like to contact me for another opinion/reference to SWIAO, please DM me and I will gladly give you my number. This PA guy can talk bucks and Iowa all day. Hope to hear from some of you. Thanks! By the way, I have some good pics of the lodge & terrain, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
203 4/8 non-typical
12,068 Posts
There are 2 sides to every story and id like to hear the other side before id say this outfitter is garbage.i also think slandering someone on a public forum is classless.if your trip was bad dont go back and move on

·
Registered
106 Posts
You people can't have it both ways. Members say they want an honest review, hopefully saving someone else a bad experience. Then other members call you names when you do just that. To most an Iowa bow hunt is an expensive trip that you can only do so many times as a nonresident. At best, currently, once every 4 years. And it's very expensive to boot. To some , it's once in a lifetime for these very reasons. Most people will process this information to help make an informative decision. For me, with the right weather, 7 hunters not seeing one shooter in 5 days of late season hunting is enough info. He could be the best guide ever, but doesn't have the animals. I for one, appreciate the OP's review. My advice is this - if your outfitter is catering to Michael Waddell , or some other tv show - who do you think is getting the better farm? Be realistic, there is no better free advertising than some celebrity killing a stud on tv using your outfitting service, then posting your info with a personal recommendation in the credits. Business is business.

·
Registered
389 Posts
@Hntrss95 This wasn't a bow hunt per the multiple threads the OP has posted on AT about this outfitter.

I am not calling anyone names. I was in camp this year with 4 other guys and they all rebooked 1 day into the hunt.

Not getting into an argument, if you want some feedback about this outfitter, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thanks everyone! And good luck shed hunting and winter scouting!

Oh and by the way:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You people can't have it both ways. Members say they want an honest review, hopefully saving someone else a bad experience. Then other members call you names when you do just that. To most an Iowa bow hunt is an expensive trip that you can only do so many times as a nonresident. At best, currently, once every 4 years. And it's very expensive to boot. To some , it's once in a lifetime for these very reasons. Most people will process this information to help make an informative decision. For me, with the right weather, 7 hunters not seeing one shooter in 5 days of late season hunting is enough info. He could be the best guide ever, but doesn't have the animals. I for one, appreciate the OP's review. My advice is this - if your outfitter is catering to Michael Waddell , or some other tv show - who do you think is getting the better farm? Be realistic, there is no better free advertising than some celebrity killing a stud on tv using your outfitting service, then posting your info with a personal recommendation in the credits. Business is business.
This is the key can he give everyone a quality hunt and ours was far from it. I believe he has a couple honey hole farms and alot of farms where u can maybe kill a 150 inch buck. I know there's not a booner behind every tree but a chance at a 150 is hardly a reason to go spend 5k. U can do that in almost any state with any outfitter. Most hunts are 2500 to 3500 he's charging next level price so he should provide a next level hunt. If we paid 3k and went to one of those places we would have been okay with it not happy but OK. It's just we feel he didn't do the work lack of food plots putting another hunter on a honeyhole because he came back ECT. If u can't provide a quality hunt don't book them. I understand it's a business but don't make promises u can't keep.

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
23,274 Posts
Not sure how to show a link to this thread but these guys didnt seem to have an issue
Post is from 2012....OP did said 2014 was good enough to convince them to comeback, 2016 way downhill.

I agree about hearing both sides, but I disagree about sharing the experience; especially here on AT. Some of our members may be considering this Outiftter. I'm sure the outfitter won't give out the numbers of any of these guys as a reference. This post, albeit one side of the argument would hopefully inspire a potential candidate to dig a little deeper and ask a specific set of questions....archers helping archers right?

Joe

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm just trying to save someone else from the disappointment of waiting yrs to go only to feel like a second rate client.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Post is from 2012....OP did said 2014 was good enough to convince them to comeback, 2016 way downhill.

I agree about hearing both sides, but I disagree about sharing the experience; especially here on AT. Some of our members may be considering this Outiftter. I'm sure the outfitter won't give out the numbers of any of these guys as a reference. This post, albeit one side of the argument would hopefully inspire a potential candidate to dig a little deeper and ask a specific set of questions....archers helping archers right?

Joe
That's what it's about Joe! My advice to the OP is look into leasing farms with your buddies. Starting leasing Ohio and Illinois farms 7 years ago. Some have not been as good as we've liked and we dropped them. I would say for 2017 we have our best group of farms with a chance at a legit giant. Can't imagine using an outfitter for whitetail ever again.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I'm just trying to save someone else from the disappointment of waiting yrs to go only to feel like a second rate client.
You are entitiled to post YOUR experience, be it good or bad. As a working man, knowing what it takes to save then spend that kind of money, I too would have expected a much better hunt. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thank you for your review. I like honest reviews of outfitters. I am sorry it turned out poorly for you.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Two things I'd like to point out about Iowa. Very few nonresidents wait years to hunt late season muzzleloader, and anyone can be an outfitter in Iowa. Consider this a valuable lesson in booking outfitters in Iowa.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts