Archery Talk Forum banner

Soybean question?

955 Views 14 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  scrapejuice
Do deer eat the soybeans in the late winter if they are not harvested? I had heard they did and have a small plot about a 1/2 acre. I was wanting to plant winter wheat in there and thought about just broadcast spreading the wheat right into the soybeans. Would you recommend this or should I disc and drag the soybeans under, then plant the wheat??
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,829 Posts
Do deer eat the soybeans in the late winter if they are not harvested? I had heard they did and have a small plot about a 1/2 acre. I was wanting to plant winter wheat in there and thought about just broadcast spreading the wheat right into the soybeans. Would you recommend this or should I disc and drag the soybeans under, then plant the wheat??
They sure do eat this in late winter. Where I hunt, last year there were about 1 acre that was too wet to harvest so they left them. Saw lots of deer there.

· Registered
Bowtech SS34
1,284 Posts
Broadcast the wheat in with the beans! It will be golden!

· Registered
48 Posts
ok, I am a farmer and here is what happens. When the soybeans get dry enough to harvest, 10 to 15% moisture, the deer can eat them but they do not digest any of the protein. They have to be wet and swollen for the deer to be able to digest it. I would plant them anyways because it will draw them in. If you are going to plant wheat over top of them, spread it on before the leaves start dropping from the beans. Then, when the leaves do fall off they will cover the wheat and it will sprout and grow.

· Registered
6,288 Posts
I forget all about the beans once they brown out. At that time, around me,m the corn is the number one priority.

· Registered
35 Posts
soybeans are considered primarily as a spring/summer plot. It definitely won't hurt the deer to eat them in late winter but as someone mentioned earlier, as the beans break down so does the protein content in them. the main concern deer have in getting through the winter is energy, legumes such as soybeans have a huge protein content but not so good for energy needed in the hard winter. i'm in no way a food plot expert but throwing that wheat in with your left over soybean plot should work for you pretty well. you'll have your wheat for energy and i'm sure they won't mind diggin the beans left in the ground

· Premium Member
17,591 Posts
ok, i am a farmer and here is what happens. When the soybeans get dry enough to harvest, 10 to 15% moisture, the deer can eat them but they do not digest any of the protein. They have to be wet and swollen for the deer to be able to digest it. I would plant them anyways because it will draw them in. If you are going to plant wheat over top of them, spread it on before the leaves start dropping from the beans. Then, when the leaves do fall off they will cover the wheat and it will sprout and grow.
+1

· Registered
4,324 Posts
I would have to agree with both Jeff and Newbow. I think it all depends on what stage the beans are at, and what other avaible feed is around?

Most deer seem to hit the beans heavy in late Spring and Summer when the plants are lush and green. With that inmind, a late planting that is still green will draw them, although as they brown and other food sources come avaiable, they will not hit them as much.

Once they brown out, in area where White Oaks and corn is within easy access, I'd think these food sources would be the better bet now.

· THwack--CRASH
11,208 Posts
ok, I am a farmer and here is what happens. When the soybeans get dry enough to harvest, 10 to 15% moisture, the deer can eat them but they do not digest any of the protein. They have to be wet and swollen for the deer to be able to digest it. I would plant them anyways because it will draw them in. If you are going to plant wheat over top of them, spread it on before the leaves start dropping from the beans. Then, when the leaves do fall off they will cover the wheat and it will sprout and grow.
+1 KEEP THE DEERE TRACKS OUT OF THE BEANS:wink:

· RuffLight and Bsquare
16,940 Posts
Deer love the young shots on the bean plants and will nip them, off down to the stems. When the beans begin to get older and especially in the yellowing stages they tend to lay off them. Then when all that's left is browse they will eat any leftover beans trying to get the highest protein food source available.

· Registered
905 Posts
If you disc them under it would be a HUGE mistake!! I plant beans and corn as foodplots side by side.The deer will eat the mature beans 2 to 1 over any other late season food source you can think of.People always say corn because there is lots of waste grain left in corn fields in the late season and there is hardly anything in a bean field so people don't get to see how much they like them.If you leave those beans (plant the wheat if you like in them) I promise you will have the best season of your life over them as long as you don't over hunt it.

· Registered
10,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks a ton everybody.

The beans will be left standing!! I'm going to broadcast the wheat right into it.

Thanks again!!:darkbeer:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.