Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing some research and looking to create a spring/summer food plot that would attract and hold bucks for the umpcoming year. Wanting a plot that would provide some wealth of nutrition and attractability to my whitetail deer here in Oklahoma. Are their any food plot hunters that can give advice or help in this matter?

·
Registered
10,387 Posts
Forage soybeans are where it's at. Will still be green and attractive to deer durring bow season.

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
Good summer protein for rack growth. . beans good idea for early season but once they start to turn they trend to switch god sources if there others choices available. .they go back to the beans once snow comes back. If its a small plot and you have any large number of deer dont expect to actually grow beans they love to east then as green shoots and they wont let them grow much taller than ankle high. .we played seven acres this last year and have seen a many as forty deer in the field. Only two acres were harvest able so we let them have them..

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
As mentioned, forage soybeans are simply awesome for summer attraction!

Check out Eagle Seeds for the most impressive varieties in the industry! In fact, one of AT's own members shot a 242" B&C in Kansas over these soybeans!

http://www.eagleseed.com/

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
If you want to make your beans an "All Season Plot" then overseed them with Rye Grain, Radish (or turnip), and some cheap clover around Sept-Oct. Hand-broadcast these seeds just as the leaves are turning and about to fall off. The seeds will sit on top of the ground until the first good rain which should get them going. The leaves falling off will allow the needed sunlight. In no time you'll have green strips in between your bean rows. The deer will hit this new tender growth and then when the beans dry down and become attractive again in late season you'll have a buffet that they can't resist. :wink:

·
Registered
17,808 Posts
you need early spring nutrition like clover till beans are ready to plant, the eagle beans are great and there is another one i forget the name of but adrenalin junkies tv endorses there seed and it is cheaper than eagle beans. as mentioned above just as the beans beging to turn brown in fall over seed with turnips or brassacas.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Soybeans or great. What I have found you will need to plant a plot of at least 5 acres to keep the deer from killing them before they get up and mature enough to handle the grazing. What I am doing on smaller plots 1 to 2 acres is planting Iron Clay Peas (Cow Peas) also high in protein. The deer will not touch them until they get mature and at that point they will reproduce as the deer feed on them.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
I did it last year. Only problem is the deer demolished my plots before they had a chance to grow. My plots were an 1/2 to an acre in size. If you have a high deer density you'll want to have larger plots.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Eagle seeds forage soybeans will get about waist deep and provide tons of forage. I think about 50% will carry pods and feed them into the winter....

·
Registered
132 Posts
One of the best nutritional plots I have is a mix of alfalfa and chicory. Deer will be feeding in the alfalfa in the early spring before my Eagle soybeans (Manager's mix) germinate. And when the fall frost kills off the soybeans, alfalfa will still be providing forage. (Deer do return to soybeans in late winter to feed on the pods). I agree that forage soybeans do well for deer, but alfalfa/chicory seems to be a better draw, particularly during the summer drought in my area. An added plus is that hen turkeys will favor the alfalfa/chicory field for brood rearing habitat. But alfalfa takes extra effort to grow and maintain, while soybeans are easy to establish - so there are tradeoffs. Try both if you have the space.

-fsh

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Man that sounds like some great advice in planting the plots. When should I start tilling, fertilizing and planting the soybeans this spring? Oh and will this soybean do good in Oklahoma, The Alfalfa won't really work for us down here because of the heat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts