Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you guys worn a base-layer made from a non-traditional or specialty fiber? Merino is everywhere nowadays but it seems that there a few fabrics that have not achieved the same notoriety as their more common counterpart (merino) due to price and availability. I am looking for feedback on alpaca, silk, qiviut or merino blends that you have worn and have faith in. Thanks.

·
Registered
11,513 Posts
I have alpaca socks and find them much better than any type or merino socks that I used in the past. I thought about buying Alpaca base layer but it wasn't cheap and never pulled the trigger. Figure instead of spending the money on more base layer I went with an IWOM :)

·
Registered
7,200 Posts
I own next to skin merino and merino blends and have to say that I find them either itchy or scratchy and not comfortable. It’s not a good base layer and just suffer with the scratchy stuff but nothing is more comfortable next to the skin than cotton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alpaca is great, but it definitely isn't cheap. I try to avoid cotton late in the season due to its tendency to absorb water and chill. We have tested some base layers consisting of a merino/alpaca blend and are impressed so far. Merino seems to be the staple in all outdoor brands because of availability and low cost.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,401 Posts
I own next to skin merino and merino blends and have to say that I find them either itchy or scratchy and not comfortable. It’s not a good base layer and just suffer with the scratchy stuff but nothing is more comfortable next to the skin than cotton.
Some of my merino shirts are more comfortable than a cotton t-shirt. Which merino do you own?

I've tried the blends and don't care as much for them. Never tried alpaca, and I prefer 100% merino to silk.......seems to wick the sweat away better than lightweight silk.

·
Team #9
9,051 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am the same way , not sure if I am allergic or what, but it irritates me and is itchy , I have the Sitka Merino, I had to wear
the core short sleeve shirt under it, witch seem to get smelly after sweating in it . kind of defeated the purpose for me as
Merino is not really warm insulating as others , but was getting it to wick away sweat and not smell, but can not wear it next to skin
for me ....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree that the odor of cotton and polyester after a day of hunting is stronger than in a merino garment. Natural fibers wick moisture better and do not stink, which is a big plus. On the down side, it does seem that some natural fibers feel itchy to some. 100% pure merino from reputable sources seem to be the key. The lower the micron count, the more comfortable the merino tends to be. A merino with a micron count of 18 will be very fine and comfy where a micron count of 21 is heavier and more course.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts