Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay if you were to buy a bow, any bow, lets take the hoyt turbotec for instance. If you bought a 60 pd bow and bottomed the limbs out, would it be faster than a 70 pound bow that was turned down to 65 pds and both properly spined out to 5 pds per inch???? I have heard a bottomed out bow wil perform better than not. Is it gonna be faster????? Yes or no, what do you think javi??? :secret:

·
Registered
170 Posts
No room to tiller tune IMHO

I tried the max out 65# limbs (heavy 60's) route with my last set of limbs and found out I had no room to fine tune the bow. I could only let off draw weight to try to tune it to certain arrows (get the spine just right) or tiller tune.
I now have 70# limbs backed down to 66# and didn't see a speed loss doing so.
I would say go with 70's and then you will have room to adjust up and down the draw range.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
A max bow is more efficient partly because the brace height will be at its lowest.

After a calculated quess I would think if shooting the same draw length and arrow weight the 65# will be faster.

The 60# maxed bow will shoot like a 61-62# backed of from 70# bow.

·
Registered
777 Posts
First, let's stipulate that for the sake of this discussion all of the bows would be shot at the same arrow weight / draw force (i.e. 5 gr/lb).

I would expect the stiffer limbs to have a bit more mass than the lighter draw weight limbs. Therefore, I would expect a maxxed out 60 lb bow to be faster than a 70 lb bow which has been backed off to 60 lb.

Conversely, the mass of the cams, strings and string mounted accessories is usually the same regardless of draw weight. Therefore I would expect a 70 lb bow to be faster than a 60 lb bow when both are maxxed out.

There would be a crossover point (probably in the vicinity of the middle of its weight range) where the 70 lb bow has the same velocity as the 60 lb.

My personal experience indicates that a bow with bottomed out limbs tends to be quieter and less prone to vibration.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts