Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What is the least recommended arrow weight for a MAX 40yd shot 65# DW and 27 DL on a whitetail. This year I am planning to be shooting maxima 250 3d selects fletched with blazers and 100gr slick tricks with an arrow length if my new bow allows me to with a 28.5" arrow from nock to broadhead tip. what kind of KE can I expect from this setup. I am definitly looking for more speed with a good amount of KE behind it. I had received some new arrows because a few people felt my arrows were overspined with my old maxima 350's and they chronoed the last times I chronoed thm at 280fps . The new arrows are the 3d select 250's but to 28.5 with broadhead. I REALLY hope I mad this post understandable.

The old bow was a BT Tribute, the new bow will be an Elite Z28, if this helps

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IBO of new bow is 336

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Approximately 301 fps
Arrow weight 347 grains
KE 70 ft lbs.

Plenty for anything in North America.
So I could even go a little lower in arrow weight pick up speed and still have the knockdown power for deer? What if I went 325+-

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you archer you have been very informative. What method are you using to figure these figures out? I would like to learn how to do this.

308 fps
68.5 KE
Still plenty

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If what this is showing is correct and I was planning on getting a 60-70lb bow for the little I would gain from such a hard pull. Would I be better off getting a 50-60 as most of the limbs are usually maxed out slightly higher than the 10 lb increment mark. What real advantage would I gain from having the extra pull weight that I may never use and also is it true that limbs perform better at their peak? I only hunt deer now but if I had the chance to hunt something larger in the future would the higher poundage keep me from being underbowed even with a heavier arrow? I will not gain that much FPS with a higher pound bow at least enough for me to notice a difference, is the extra limb weight worth having?

· Registered
2,919 Posts
bottom line -- with a reasonably new/efficient bow, 60 pounds draw weight is probably plenty for white-tails, even at 27" draw length . . .

but "more is better" in case of marginal shot placement

"how much is enough" is a matter of opinion so you'll probably get other ideas too

for practical purposes, if you're using a mainsteam carbon arrow and 100 grain broadheads, total arrow weight is probably going to be around 325-375 grains which should be fine also

· Registered
771 Posts
If what this is showing is correct and I was planning on getting a 60-70lb bow for the little I would gain from such a hard pull. Would I be better off getting a 50-60 as most of the limbs are usually maxed out slightly higher than the 10 lb increment mark. What real advantage would I gain from having the extra pull weight that I may never use and also is it true that limbs perform better at their peak? I only hunt deer now but if I had the chance to hunt something larger in the future would the higher poundage keep me from being underbowed even with a heavier arrow? I will not gain that much FPS with a higher pound bow at least enough for me to notice a difference, is the extra limb weight worth having?
The Z-28 only has about 6-7 lb of variation so.... a 60#er will go from 55/56-62. The 70#er will go from 65/66-72. With the speed of that bow, I would go with 62 out of the 60# limbs rather than backing the 70# limbs way down to 65.

This information came straight from Kristin at Elite. I am shopping for a Z-28 as well.

50-60 lb KE is all that is needed for Elk let alone whitetail. Tough to get below that with a Z-28.

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Z-28 only has about 6-7 lb of variation so.... a 60#er will go from 55/56-62. The 70#er will go from 65/66-72. With the speed of that bow, I would go with 62 out of the 60# limbs rather than backing the 70# limbs way down to 65.

This information came straight from Kristin at Elite. I am shopping for a Z-28 as well.

50-60 lb KE is all that is needed for Elk let alone whitetail. Tough to get below that with a Z-28.
See thats what I was thinking also. I had saw that post on "another forum" and sent it to my dealer to ask his opinion. I wonder if it is possible to find a slightly higher peak weight through the different limbs. Is it true about limbs performing their best at peak weight?

· Banned
211 Posts
I don't think it matters as much with most newer bows having pivoting limb pockets. I can pretty comfortably draw 70 lbs. but my last seven bows have been 60 lbs. I can get plenty of speed and KE out of them and it's easier on my shoulder.

· Registered
1,884 Posts
What is the least recommended arrow weight for a MAX 40yd shot 65# DW and 27 DL on a whitetail. This year I am planning to be shooting maxima 250 3d selects fletched with blazers and 100gr slick tricks with an arrow length if my new bow allows me to with a 28.5" arrow from nock to broadhead tip. what kind of KE can I expect from this setup. I am definitly looking for more speed with a good amount of KE behind it. I had received some new arrows because a few people felt my arrows were overspined with my old maxima 350's and they chronoed the last times I chronoed thm at 280fps . The new arrows are the 3d select 250's but to 28.5 with broadhead. I REALLY hope I mad this post understandable.

The old bow was a BT Tribute, the new bow will be an Elite Z28, if this helps

It's not possible to get an accurate arrow weight with the numbers your giving. In order to calculate your arrow weight....what is the length of the carbon shaft not including any broadhead, adapters, or nocks? What kind of nock are you using?

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's not possible to get an accurate arrow weight with the numbers your giving. In order to calculate your arrow weight....what is the length of the carbon shaft not including any broadhead, adapters, or nocks? What kind of nock are you using?
The ones I have now are 26 3/4

· Registered
1,884 Posts
Your current arrow weight is 319.27gr total. That assumes you are using the CE Bulldog Collar and the corresponding CE nock.

I would not go any lighter if I were you. 5 gr/# would put you at 64# maximum with your current arrows.

If it was me, I would add weight tubes to bump the arrow mass up and still have more speed than necessary. Using 2gr/inch tubes would add an additional 52 grs. and put your toal weight at approximately 371grs. That is still a nice weight for a hunting arrow. Look at all the hunting shafts and see what they typically weigh....around 8 or 9 gr/inch. Your CE 250's weigh
7.3gr./inch and with such a short shaft, they are very light finished.

Just my opinion.

· Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just did the math for my arrows 26.75 x 7.3 = 195.275 + 18 (blazers) +23.7 (components) + 100g tip = 336.975

· Registered
1,884 Posts
I just did the math for my arrows 26.75 x 7.3 = 195.275 + 18 (blazers) +23.7 (components) + 100g tip = 336.975
Ooooops. The vanes. I forgot the vanes. Your not shooting bare shafts are ya? :wink: That is the diff between in total weight between mine and your's.

So you can shoot 67# max with those shafts.

Still plenty light.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.