Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other then the equalizer and only speaking of that bow because its the only one I know of, is there a bow that someone with a 27.5" dl can get over 300 fps? Im reading all these monster, destroyer, alphaburner threads and guys with 30" dls are in the 315-325 range with there bow setup. I know a shorter dl would drop the fps to below 300. Im just wondering if there is anything else out there that Im unaware of

·
Registered
29 Posts
APA King Cobra

I have an APA King Cobra - 26 DL 63lbs = 305 FPS IBO - Just Chronoed it yesterday with a 350 grain arrow. If you have good form and mechanics this is the bow. 5-1/16 Brace = Super fast bow.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
I just chronoed my Alphaburner today and @ 27.5" , 62# and a 310gr. arrow I had 313fps. That's with factory strings, Tru peep and loop.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I've got an Elite GT-500 with Cuda Cams. Sweet shooter and is becoming my new favorite bow. 26"

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
The new Darton Pro 3800 at 52# and a 29"dl in a hunting bow set up, 344fps. Darton rates their bows at 60# this will be the bow that I will shoot this year. And will have them on order after the ATA show.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
short ATA

Check out the New Breed Genetix and Nemesis. Impressive numbers but you will really like them when you shoot one. Make a list of EVERYTHING you want in a bow and NEW BREED is it.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
There are several speed bows these days that should make 300 FPS at that draw length. Alphaburner, D350, PSE Omen and DSUF,82nd, XLR8, etc.

My 28" AlphaBurner (about 28 1/4") shoots in the 315 range at 5 grains with no real tuning out of the box for optimum cam position (only synch) and a bit more weight on the string than I normally have, so 317-319 is likely do-able. My DSUF w/28" cam (a little long as typical- about 28 1/2") shoots 314-315 FPS at well over 5 grains, so mid 320s IBO is very likely.

Shouldn't have a problem finding that 300 FPS at 27.5 these days.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
not to hijack

sorry for the off topic question but it does relate :eek:t:

does shooting an arrow at 300+ FPS really have that much of a noticable difference in trajectory than let's say an arrow at 250-270 FPS. first of all the arrow would be going faster and secondly it would be a lighter arrow(if shot from the same setup), so it would have to have SOME difference in trajectory. i wonder if it would be a big advantage or barely niticable?

:focus:

·
Registered
881 Posts
I am not a bowtech fan. But for short draw that equalizer is a bad sob. A friend of mine shoots 25" draw 60lbs at 305 fps with the equalizer.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
The Monster (6" brace) will do it for sure at 26" draw 70lb with a FMJ 500, I know for sure cause i just set up one this week that shot 301.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Martin Rytera Alien Z is worth the wait

Other then the equalizer and only speaking of that bow because its the only one I know of, is there a bow that someone with a 27.5" dl can get over 300 fps? Im reading all these monster, destroyer, alphaburner threads and guys with 30" dls are in the 315-325 range with there bow setup. I know a shorter dl would drop the fps to below 300. Im just wondering if there is anything else out there that Im unaware of
27 5/8" draw AMO 320 gr 64 lbs going 315. The good news is it will do even better when I finish setting it up. My goal is 320 fps. If you want another the Martin Warthog will go over 300 at 27.5 and shoots awesome.

You really need to think about how to go over 300 and have a bow that will shoot just as well for the archer. Sorry for the comment but boys the Monster just isn't going to cut it. Those other bows are fast but not as good for the person shooting them.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
27 5/8" draw AMO 320 gr 64 lbs going 315. The good news is it will do even better when I finish setting it up. My goal is 320 fps. If you want another the Martin Warthog will go over 300 at 27.5 and shoots awesome.

You really need to think about how to go over 300 and have a bow that will shoot just as well for the archer. Sorry for the comment but boys the Monster just isn't going to cut it. Those other bows are fast but not as good for the person shooting them.
Not sure I understand this part of your post totally? I hope your not comparing the speed of a Alien to a Monster? If not I took it the wrong way and I appoligize.

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
does shooting an arrow at 300+ FPS really have that much of a noticable difference in trajectory than let's say an arrow at 250-270 FPS.
There's a lot of ways to argue this +/-, and I don't actually have a position.

I have been picking up arrow speed for the last 40 or so years, and have shot deer with arrows moving anywhere between about 150fps and 305fps.

The differences are incremantal to some extent, and if I had to, I could easily get by with anything going over 250fps as a low end preference. I feel there's a useful difference from 250fps to 270fps, it's not huge, but it's real for a guy with the skill to actually make shots out to 30-35yds. From 270fps to 290fps, the difference is actually less, in my experience, and you pay a larger price in ease of tuning for the additional 5 yds of distance you will gain, and past 35yds, you still need to know far the shot is for precise shot placement. Above 280fps, I can get fixed blade heads to shoot, but above that speed I use mechanicals exclusively. This year I was able to get 75gr Muzzy three blade heads to shoot reliably at 305fps. And I made a nice shot on a large cornfed doe at 30yds with that rig, but I didn't see any big difference between that shot, and the other deer I have taken with many slower arrows.

Next year I'm hoping to draw a WY tag for elk, and if not, I'll grab a OTC tag from CO. I'll be shooting a Turbotec recently relimbed with a set of XT2000's, courtesy of FoggDogg. It shoots a 425gr CAA400 @ 280fps. It took 15 minutes to get it to land a 125gr Slick dead on at 20yds in my basement range, and will easily tune out to 65yds, I'd bet my last dollar. 280fps is my best blend of trajectory and ease of tuning.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for all the information, Im not looking for a 300+ fps for hunting more so for 3d and possibly spots. I know there is a speed limit for asa. I love my guardian but I wish it was just a little faster so I could have the flatter trajectory at the longer yardage shots. I was just curious what else was out there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts