Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Team #12 - 2009 Winners!!
10,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there anything out there that you can put on your bow that will gain you speed?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
archeryhunterME said:
is there anything out there that you can put on your bow that will gain you speed?
Assuming we're not talking about putting on more pull weight or putting on different cams that require you to expend more energy to draw then the answer is without question no. Any mass you add to the system is a drain on the energy you store in the limbs that could have gone to accelerating the arrow. You don't get something for nothing.

Now I suppose it's theoretically possible to put something on you bow like better cam bearings that would reduce dynamic hysteresis and therefore slightly increase speed but the potential here is pretty small. Pretty much if you want more speed without reducing arrow weight then you are going to have to do more work. There is nothing you can "add" to the existing system that will increase speed.

·
10,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it didnt seem like it was possible but i had been looking through some hunting magazines last year and they had knocks and string silencers that were supposed to add 5fps but i didnt know how that would be possible as you are adding things to the string

·
Extreme Opinionated One
44,339 Posts
archeryhunterME said:
it didnt seem like it was possible but i had been looking through some hunting magazines last year and they had knocks and string silencers that were supposed to add 5fps but i didnt know how that would be possible as you are adding things to the string
Actually on certain bows you can increase the speed of the arrow by adding brass nocksets on the string usually near the cams. You have to experiment alot with each different bow and a chronograph to see exactly where and how many nocksets give you the best speed. Some bows gain as much as 3 to 5 FPS that way. It has something to do with the weight in exactly the right spot changes the shape of the curve of the string during the power stroke.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
archeryhunterME said:
The only think I can think is maybe they mean use "their" knocks and string silencers because they are lighter than everybody elses and "theoretically" will get you more speed. I'd be pretty skeptical though if anybody has a kock enough lighter than anybody elses such that it would gain even a detectable amount of speed let alone 5 ft/sec. Advertisers stretch the truth at a minimum and out and out lie on occasion.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
anything thats on the string takes speed away that bow already has.
brass nocks=2-4fps
kisser button =4-8fps
loop=2-4fps
peep=5-7fps
peepw/tubing10+fps
all of these things take away potential speed and energy

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Punch_Master said:
Actually on certain bows you can increase the speed of the arrow by adding brass nocksets on the string usually near the cams. You have to experiment alot with each different bow and a chronograph to see exactly where and how many nocksets give you the best speed. Some bows gain as much as 3 to 5 FPS that way. It has something to do with the weight in exactly the right spot changes the shape of the curve of the string during the power stroke.
Like I said, whatever mass you add to the system requires energy to accelerate it. Though the mass may be small it can not add speed but only inhibit it. Sorry...

·
Extreme Opinionated One
44,339 Posts
SputterFuss said:
Like I said, whatever mass you add to the system requires energy to accelerate it. Though the mass may be small it can not add speed but only inhibit it. Sorry...
Close your mind if you want to but I've seen it with my own eyes too many times. My Trykon for instance picks up 3 fps with those stringshox installed. Now my Ultratecs on the otherhand hate the stringshox and will lose 10 FPS when installed. My Ultratecs prefer three brass nocksets about 3/4" away from the cam. They pickup 3 fps over a bare string. Chronographs dont lie. You have to experiment with each individual bow.

·
Registered
28,245 Posts
I just added TRU Speed Balls to the string on my 2005 Illusion. Unfortunately, I do not have a chronograph so I don't know what my arrow speed was before putting them on and what it is now. I do know that they haven't had any type of adverse impact and actually seem to have flattened out my trajectory ever so slightly at 40 yards.

The directions that come with the balls recommends installing them 1-5 inches from the cams and to adjust them as needed for best results. I think the way these add-ons accomplish adding a few more fps is because they are not so far in on the string that they create drag. Where they are positioned, it seems the additional weight they provide actually creates a bit of a pull or a snapping whip-like effect on the string and adds a little more forward string velocity. Their direction of travel when the string is released is more of an up and down motion as opposed to a back and forth motion.

I've read where some guys have gotten the same type of additonal FPS benefit by installing a couple nock points on both ends of the string. There doesn't appear to be anything scientific or technological about the Speed Balls. They are made of plastci. It's just that they add weight to the string and when positioned properly, enhance the speed at which the string travels.

·
10,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well that is different... when i chrono the bow i will put a nock on both ends by the cams and see what they get .... when i do it i will post if it has lost or gained any speed at all to end the argument - thanks guys

·
Registered
786 Posts
archeryhunterME said:
There is not a whole lot you can add to your bowtech tribute to help you gain speed, but if you were to the following to your Switchback, you will definitely shoot faster...

1) Bowtech Tribute Riser
2) Bowtech Tribute Limbs
3) Bowtech Tribute Cams
4) Bowtech Tribute Speed Mods

·
10,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah that's an idea! haha

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
If your Bowtech has the stock string from the factory, it already has speed buttons on it. They are locatedon the string about 3-4" from each cam. They have thin shrink tubing on them and are the same color as the serving they use, so it's easy to overlook them. The speed buttons are two brass nocks (the ones with the red cushion).

-ZA

archeryhunterME said:
well that is different... when i chrono the bow i will put a nock on both ends by the cams and see what they get .... when i do it i will post if it has lost or gained any speed at all to end the argument - thanks guys

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
O.K. I'll admit to being skeptical if not completely closed minded. But can somebody explain. It requires energy to accelerate anything. If you add mass that must be accelerated, where does the energy come from to do it without taking it away from the energy that would be available for the arrow? The claim that adding weight can increase speed simply violates the rules. But I'll keep an open mind if someone can explain the mechnism that accounts for a speed increase when mass is added.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
SputterFuss said:
O.K. I'll admit to being skeptical if not completely closed minded. But can somebody explain. It requires energy to accelerate anything. If you add mass that must be accelerated, where does the energy come from to do it without taking it away from the energy that would be available for the arrow? The claim that adding weight can increase speed simply violates the rules. But I'll keep an open mind if someone can explain the mechnism that accounts for a speed increase when mass is added.
when you crack a whip the end of the whip breaks the sound barreior that's why it cracks, but your hand on the whip handle doesn't move that fast. the speed balls at the lower cam have that whip effect on the middle of the string giving an increase in speed. if you shoot through a chronograph you can move speed balls to optium and measure your speed gain.

speed balls can be bought from tru ball I think makes some, factory strings have 3 brass knock set's in shrink wrap near the lower cam working like speed balls.
http://www.cabelas.com/information/Archery/T.R.U.BowstringAcceleratorBalls.html from cabelas. speed enhancers.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
SputterFuss said:
Take the Mathews solocam for example....with perimeter weights....that's a prime example of adding mass to increase speed.....a body in motion...stays in motion....

Same with speed nocks strategically placed on a bowstring.....

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Punch_Master said:
Close your mind if you want to but I've seen it with my own eyes too many times. My Trykon for instance picks up 3 fps with those stringshox installed. Now my Ultratecs on the otherhand hate the stringshox and will lose 10 FPS when installed. My Ultratecs prefer three brass nocksets about 3/4" away from the cam. They pickup 3 fps over a bare string. Chronographs dont lie. You have to experiment with each individual bow.
According to Hoyt, "StringShox are highly durable and very effective in reducing after-shot string oscillation and noise. The StringShox design minimizes speed loss compared to other string dampening accessories".

So hoyt is telling you that you won't LOOSE as much speed if you use their product vs someone elses but they absolutely do not increase speed as you indicated.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
buckfeverben said:
Take the Mathews solocam for example....with perimeter weights....that's a prime example of adding mass to increase speed.....a body in motion...stays in motion....

Same with speed nocks strategically placed on a bowstring.....
Again, perimeter weights are for "dampening" not to increase speed.

I think what is happening is that people are reading into sales pitches something that simply isn't there. Advertisers are crafty little devils and will make you think black is white if it's to their advantage.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Adding nocks, or speed buttons to the ends of the string near the cams will reduce string oscillation thereby causing the string to direct more energy into the arrow instead of wasting it on oscillation. Simple physics. On dual cams, binary and cam and a halfs, use nocks at the top and the bottom. On single cams you will generally only need them at the bottom.

·
Registered
28,245 Posts
Bowhunter Magazine had done a review on the Bear SQ32 about a year ago and went into detail about the bow specs, performance #s, the data they collected while testing the bow, etc. The review specifically stated that the average FPS they got from the bow increased after they installed String Leeches. The increase was something like 1-2 FPS. Not much but it was nonetheless an increase.

It all goes back to proper positioning on the string and the resultant physics behind their motion.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts