Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering a new set of strings for my Hoyt. They don’t come with speed nocks. I understand I may loose a few feet per second, but will it effect accuracy? And go...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
Some speed, maybe a little more noise(can solve that by putting on some cat wiskers). You can get tpu nocks you can install yourself, they are easy or brass nocks if you have the factory strings just install in the same spot.
I always get em installed cause they came with them and don’t order from people who don’t install them but that’s me.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Order from makers that install them. They don’t come from manufacturers just because they look cool, they serve a purpose. Period.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Depends on the bow. My Supra Max's are very difficult to tune and unforgiving without speed nocks on the string in the factory locations. But it's a total sweetheart with them on. So probably best to add them as per the factory locations regardless, because you may have a tiger by the tail without em depending on the bow....

lee.

·
Back Yard Champion
29,806 Posts
Speed nocks or speed buttons are for speed, not accuracy and I seriously doubt effect tuning by the vast majority.

If one's heart is set on speed nocks they can put them on and test and when finished shrink tubing is fairly easy to put on or use the rubber tubing for peep aligners (no heat required).

·
Registered
51,165 Posts
If your bow had them to start with new then yes put them on. As was pointed out if the string maker is any good they will install them in the proper place. Put on a 1/16" off you could loose speed.

·
*Chick Repellent*
21,417 Posts
If you don't need the speed, then you won't miss them.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yes they serve a purpose other than speed.
I build strings and cables.
They increase speed, can help with tune, reduce string oscillation, help the string track into the cam.
The helping the string track into the cam in the most important part, any speed nock will do this, even the ones that may rob you of a little speed.
Reducing string oscillation helps with tune & string longevity.
On bows where there is a difference between the amount on the bottom of the string compared to the top it is often done to help with bow timing/vertical nock travel or the fact that the 2 cams are not identical like hybrid/cam & 1/2 systems.

·
El Cool Arrow >>---->
9,542 Posts
Aside from speed some bows are 3X louder with OUT them. To me there is way MORE upside having them than to NOT having them.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Yes they serve a purpose other than speed.
I build strings and cables.
They increase speed, can help with tune, reduce string oscillation, help the string track into the cam.
The helping the string track into the cam in the most important part, any speed nock will do this, even the ones that may rob you of a little speed.
Reducing string oscillation helps with tune & string longevity.
On bows where there is a difference between the amount on the bottom of the string compared to the top it is often done to help with bow timing/vertical nock travel or the fact that the 2 cams are not identical like hybrid/cam & 1/2 systems.
Yup.

The nocks (weights) increase the strings moment of inertia which causes the string to spool back on to the cam more efficiently. They also act as a dampener.

Like many people have insinuated, they are there from the factory because engineers designed them to be there to increase efficiency.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Bow Huntin' pure-n-simple
4,922 Posts
Some speed, maybe a little more noise(can solve that by putting on some cat wiskers). You can get tpu nocks you can install yourself, they are easy or brass nocks if you have the factory strings just install in the same spot.
I always get em installed cause they came with them and don’t order from people who don’t install them but that’s me.

Same here, JBK strings for example installs them per factory specs

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Not sure about your bow but I have tried shooting thru paper without speed nocks and it does change the tune of some bows. They do more than add speed to some bows.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Jbk bowstrings sent mine loose so I could install them myself since there was a difference from my mesurement location and blueprint for their location. Bow is a Bear moment. I shot bow without dual string stops and speed nocks then shot with dual string stops installed without speed nocks. I can say for certain dual string stops made a huge difference but without speed nocks still had a buzz to shot which speed nocks eliminated. No way I would have continued to shoot without them. Started to add cat whiskers in their place but just went ahead and put them on and added cat whiskers where I had them on old strings. They make a huge difference. My Hoyt turbo hawk had string leeches but I removed them and added brass nocks, playing with location, and they made a big difference on that bow too.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I build strings as well.

I wouldn’t consider a builder that doesn’t install them period. They’re on there for a reason. Not only do they help with speed but tune, sounds and longevity of the string.

The builders that don’t install them may tell you it’s because of a potential lawsuit but it’s because of the time they require to install. Period

1 - 18 of 18 Posts