Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize these are present on a variety of bows now, but since I am shooting an Elite it would be better for people knowledged of Elite bows to inform me as well as others. I have never read into how these work and WHY they add speed when, in essence you are adding weight to the string. I have always seen them and known they add speed and also I realize it is all about placement of where you put them, but WHY? I am soon going to have to replace the strings on my Elite. So I need to know how to know where to place these things, what they are actually made of and how to apply the shrink tube over them as well. Thanks :darkbeer:

· Registered
5,550 Posts
All they really are , they are brass nock points. As to where to place them , the best way is to have access to a chronograph and put them on and shoot them . Then move them closer of farther away from the cam and chronograph them again. You probably going to spend a day figuring out where the best placement is going to be on you setup. The shrink tubing you can buy at Ace Hardware. You just slip it over the nocks and heat it.

· Registered
2,857 Posts
They are just standard nock sets crimped onto the string. They way I have always done it is to place three on the top and three on the bottom. I then shoot the bow through a crono. Write the speed down and adjust them up and down until I find the fastest location. As for the heat shrink, you just slip it over the end of the string and place it over the nocks and heat it up with a lighter....CAREFULLY!!!

G

·
They add weight near the cams to help the cams turn over a bit faster. Therefore..... more speed! About 5 FPS or so. I have seen them add as much as 10FPS.

· Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well Michael from Terminal Velocity in Ohio set up the speed nocks on my current string set, so could I just take measurements of where he placed them in relation to the cam? I still want to know WHY they actually add speed. Then, if I ever have people at the "range" or anywhere ask why I am adding weight to my string, I can tell them they actually they are ADDING speed because.......... (fill in the blank for me!) :D

· Registered
2,172 Posts
pretty much what spotshooter said.on 2 cam/binary bows start with 2 at each end appox.1.5" away from where the string leaves the cam,shoot thru chrono and move them tward the center of the string a 1/8" and shoot again keeping track of speeds and locations of nocks so you know when you reach the ideal spot,then you can try adding a 3rd one to see what happens.be ready to spend a considerable amount of time finding the perfect location and combination of nocks.once satisfied then press the bow so you can remove the end of the string to slip the shrink tube on and heat it.I have seen some bows that had 2 nocks together and a 3rd a short distance away.

· Registered
2,857 Posts
Sorry I missed that part Zach, yep it adds weight near the cams. but it actually has to do with momentum...as the string speeds up as the cams roll the extra weight on the ends string gains momentum and cancels out some of the extra weight on the center of the string...loop, peep, etc

Atleast that is the way it was explained to me.

· Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
pretty much what spotshooter said.on 2 cam/binary bows start with 2 at each end appox.1.5" away from where the string leaves the cam,shoot thru chrono and move them tward the center of the string a 1/8" and shoot again keeping track of speeds and locations of nocks so you know when you reach the ideal spot,then you can try adding a 3rd one to see what happens.be ready to spend a considerable amount of time finding the perfect location and combination of nocks.once satisfied then press the bow so you can remove the end of the string to slip the shrink tube on and heat it.I have seen some bows that had 2 nocks together and a 3rd a short distance away.
That is how mine is currently set up from Michael at Terminal Velocity. So can I just take the measurements and place them in same place once I get new strings? Where can I get the shrink tubing? Here is a pic of how mine are currently set:

Attachments

· Registered
5,550 Posts
I would say yes to put them in the same location where they are on your old strings. You can buy the shring tubing from any place that sells electrical supplies since it is used for electrical applications. Ace Hardware, Lowes, Menards , Home Depot to name a few.

G

·
Sorry I missed that part Zach, yep it adds weight near the cams. but it actually has to do with momentum...as the string speeds up as the cams roll the extra weight on the ends string gains momentum and cancels out some of the extra weight on the center of the string...loop, peep, etc

Atleast that is the way it was explained to me.
Thats correct!

· Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone. I am a very quick learner since I can apply all of the things I already know. I completely understand their purpose already! I do not have much experience with shrink tubing, but my dad should be able to help me :thumb:

· Excellence is tolerated.
3,063 Posts
Zach,

Consider replacing the Bowjax on your limbs with Limbsaver Quads. Makes a big difference.

Why are you running such a long arrow? Just curious.

Yep, just measure the nock sets from the axle. If you replace the string, just put them in the same spot.

· Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Zach,

Consider replacing the Bowjax on your limbs with Limbsaver Quads. Makes a big difference.

Why are you running such a long arrow? Just curious.

Yep, just measure the nock sets from the axle. If you replace the string, just put them in the same spot.
Already did replace bowjax with QUADS :D

Longer arrow=weaker spine. This shaft is a little stiff for my set up, so I keep it a little long. The camera angle has a lot to do with it. The arrow only sticks past about 2.3" past the riser.

I will do :darkbeer:

· Registered
238 Posts
Sorry to hi-jack but since it seems like Zach already has his answer, I didnt want to start a new thread on essentially the same thing.

Now, are speed balls the same thing? Basically I have an old pair of these spider silencers laying around and since I dont have any need for them, I figured I could at least use the speed ball.

Has anybody used these before, are they just as effective as the brass nocks?

Thanks,
Brandon

· Registered
2,919 Posts
. . . are speed balls the same thing? Basically I have an old pair of these spider silencers laying around and since I dont have any need for them, I figured I could at least use the speed ball.

Has anybody used these before, are they just as effective as the brass nocks?

Thanks,
Brandon
yes they are essentially the same thing, with the spider stuff added to make it a silencer and a weight at the same time

I suspect that big spider would slow things down a bit though . . . and the speed balls might be heavier than what you really need . . . but give them a try, you might like the result (you'll need a chrono to tell)

two brass nocks with a string jax in the middle accomplishes pretty much the same thing -- weight plus damping

the reason the string weights work is that they dampen waves in the string and make it feed better into the cam -- rather than flopping all over the place, the string feeds smoother into the cam groove

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.