Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
try to decide on a good 3-d bow i have a protec and martin cougar lll x fury cam

the both shoot very well and are both tack driver

but for 3-d iam thinking of speed i had a supertec but i trade it for the protec

so would a martin quest or hoyt power tec make a good 3-d bow

or do i already have a good 3-d bow

·
Registered
225 Posts
Stick with the protec. It's a great bow. If you choose the right arrow to get the lightest possible for the draw weight you can still get good speed. Mine is set up at 70lbs with ultralight series 22 goldtips. Almost exactly 5 grains per pound of pull. I'm shooting right at 320fps. Don't expect this from everybody though. I'm getting some boost by my nearly 33inch draw length.

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
Nothing wrong with a Pro Tec for 3D. you don't need the fstest bow in the world to shoot 280 fps. Dan McCarthy kicked everyones but last summer with a ProTec. At 27 3/4" draw 58lbs 2000 limbs and spirals was getting 290+ from mine and was shooting a 318 grain arrow. So it will give you plenty of speed.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Brown Hornet said:
Nothing wrong with a Pro Tec for 3D. you don't need the fstest bow in the world to shoot 280 fps. Dan McCarthy kicked everyones but last summer with a ProTec. At 27 3/4" draw 58lbs 2000 limbs and spirals was getting 290+ from mine and was shooting a 318 grain arrow. So it will give you plenty of speed.
i think you have Braden and McCarty confused both shoot ellite's Braden shoots a pro-elite,and McCarty shoots a ultra-elite at least they did at the metropolis pro-am.And yes they both shoot them with the spiral cams not the cam.5. However Tony Tazza shoots the pro-elite with the cam.5 go figure different strokes for differnt folks. On a side note I think all of them where shooting the xt-2000 limbs not the longer xt-3000 limbs.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
trykon xl is a sweet shooter. If mine would ever arrive now. Target colors take forever

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
1tiger said:
i think you have Braden and McCarty confused both shoot ellite's Braden shoots a pro-elite,and McCarty shoots a ultra-elite at least they did at the metropolis pro-am.And yes they both shoot them with the spiral cams not the cam.5. However Tony Tazza shoots the pro-elite with the cam.5 go figure different strokes for differnt folks. On a side note I think all of them where shooting the xt-2000 limbs not the longer xt-3000 limbs.

I was talking about the summer before. I know that he shot a Pro then.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
boweng said:
Stick with the protec. It's a great bow. If you choose the right arrow to get the lightest possible for the draw weight you can still get good speed. Mine is set up at 70lbs with ultralight series 22 goldtips. Almost exactly 5 grains per pound of pull. I'm shooting right at 320fps. Don't expect this from everybody though. I'm getting some boost by my nearly 33inch draw length.
Spirals or cam1/2 ?

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
I think the Protec would be the bow for you, I have one and it gets 301 IBO w/spirals at 28.5 dl. It is also forgiving and very smooth drawing. I am not familiar with the Cougar III though, if I shot it I might think that would be the bow for you, its what feels the best to you and your FPS requirment.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I checked with my archery club. That I just joined and they said they have a speed cap. It is 280fps plus some percent so I can only shoot 288fps. I would like to shoot a little faster but those are the rules. Do you guys shoot in a league ro have you heard of the speed rule?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts