Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my wife is jumping to the open class next year in 3d. she is currently shooting cxl 150's and getting about 250 fps. would she be better off shooting "knitting needles" and getting the max of 280 fps. or leave it alone and get the linecutting advantage. i can get about 5-10 more pounds out of her set-up but i don't want to sacrifice her form for weight.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
If I remember right, I think it was EPLC who did a comparrison on big shafts and small shafts, regarding how many points were gained with the big shafts. Might want to contact him and see if he still has the results.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know you will gain a few points by shooting the "fat shafts". she shot hunter class this year w/ a max of 260 fps. at 30 yds. max distance. next year she will be shooting 40 yds. max w/ 280 fps. max. so that will put her leaving 30 fps. on the table. so, does she want the speed to help buffer yardage est. or leave it alone and pray for a line? i know!! maybe i should put her on steroids!!:D :D then she can have the best of both worlds!:D

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
If she is a good shooter than I wouldn't worry about the linecutting. Get her some more speed. She doesn't really need 280 but she would be better off (in my opinon) with a skinny arrow and 270 than a fat slow arrow. The faster arrow will give her more room for error with her yardage. Remember she doen't have to shoot 5 grains.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Have you looked at the Arrow Dynamic nitro stinger lite arrows. My wife is shooting them at 25" from nock groove to cut end w/3-3" feathers, 50 grain glue in points (if i remember correctly) & has a total arrow weight of 219 grains. These are tapered shafts so with the front already being heavier than the rear she still has a decent foc. even with the light points. They are about the same diameter as a 22 series shaft. This should give her the best of both worlds, a light arrow with a decent diameter. My wife is getting 242 fps from her Oneida Black Eagle at 24 1/2" draw & 35 lbs draw weight with these arrows. The 395 mag arrows are about the diameter of a 25 series shaft but may not be light enough to get the extra speed your looking for.......................................................DF1

D

·
0 Posts
3D DAD...

...does your wife know you are telling the whole WORLD...you have no confidence in her shooting ability!!:p ...LOL...

...I on the other hand have FAITH in her!!:cool: ...

...I'd go with the "needles"...but DEEREFORCE1 has a good point with the Arrow Dynamics tapered shafts:) ...

...my wife shoots them and loves them...we ran out of them before the "classic" and set her up with 2012's...she said afterwards...I want to go back to the Arrow Dynamics:( ...

...of course I said...ooooo tay:cool: ...

...good luck to you...your wife doesn't need any!!:D ...

>>>---DD--->;)

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,429 Posts
I did a check of different speeds in Archer's Advantage to see how much difference there actually was between 260 fps and 300 fps. I don't remember exactly but there wasn't much at all out to 50 yards. Since then I've been much less concerned about speed and have gone for the forgiveness. I'm currently shooting 265 fps with a 2114 aluminum arrow vs. 285 with a light carbon. My scores have been better lately.

I believe there was a post about this a while back.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so in other words, forget the speed. go practice shooting and judging distance and let the cards lay.

dd, i have faith in vic's shooting, i have to cause i taught her everything she knows.:rolleyes: :eek: :D will have to look into those tapered shafts. seem like the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
129 Posts
ACC Hyperspeed 2L-18. If she's shooting around 50#, she'll get 280 fps no problem. (I just have a feeling that they'll work with her bow) :)

·
Made in USA
1,720 Posts
EPLC, you might want to check those figures again, Assuming you misjudge a 48yd blackbuck by 3-4yds you might be looking at a "0" with your 2114's versus an "8" with the skinny carbons. I agree with the emphasis on forgiving, but I'll take a forgiving 285fps with my skinny carbon's every time over 265fps. With the bows and arrow combinations to choose from, I think virtually anyone can get 280fps out of a forgiving set-up today. My protec @ 56#, 27.5amo draw length and cx100's at 285fps is a good example. I personally think the skinny [email protected] higher speed will drop less and be less affected by wind than a fat shaft of the same weight at the same speed.

·
Extreme Opinionated One
43,775 Posts
I just want to add one thing. Think ACEs. Then you get the best of all worlds. Flatter shooting, lighter, AND tighter groups. Keep your fat shafts, ACCs, X7s... ETC. I'll take my ACEs anytime. The one true BEST shaft for all outdoor target shooting.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
dad,

l'd say go skinny for more than one reason. first, of course is speed. it will make up for judgement errors (somewhat). also, from my experience with carbon fat shafts, their durability sucks. especially the arrow dynamics. she'll lose shafts when shooting varmits close up. easton redlines are one great 3d shaft. you'll get the speed, plus the redline is a very tough shaft.

be well.........jay

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
Avid 3D is right the Redline is an excellent choice for 3D. I have shoot my best 3D scores with them. Plus unlike other all carbon shafts they have alot of different sizes to cover everyone instead of 3 or 4 sizes. Plus they can take a beating.

·
74,535 Posts
Want the speed

I would shoot what would give her the speed. I know Kelly Ward shoots ACE which are small. Seems to be working for her.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts