Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have yet to shoot and recover my first bow deer. (I have lost two deer before). Well... I was in my stand yesterday during early archery and I had a spike come in 18.5 yards and broadside (small spike, less than 3"). part of me wanted to shoot, but the other side of my brain decided to let the little guy go. I want to know if other fellow bow hunters would have done the same thing? I'm not into shooting small bucks... but I don't have my first kill/recovery. Let me know what you guys would have done and if you think I did the right thing???

at least he'll live to get bigger! :darkbeer:

· Registered
902 Posts
You're the only one that can answer that question for yourself.

If it was me, and I had yet to shoot and recover a deer, I pretty sure that the first deer that gave me a high percentage shot that I was confident about, I would be taking.

· Registered
908 Posts
Good decision. Sometimes it irks me to see guys shooting such young deer. I am more for shooting mature deer rather than antler size. 3 1/2 minimum.

· Registered
462 Posts
If that is what you decided to do then sure, you did the right thing. Don't let anyone tell you what you should and shouldn't shoot when you are hunting. If it is legal, under 3" spike in TN is not legal, and you want to shoot it then do so and be proud. If you pass then feel good about that. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

· Registered
1,234 Posts
Unless you're starving, I think you did the right thing. Hunting for meat because you've gotta have it is a far cry from just wanting it. And I won't even get into the "trophy" hunters that just want the horns. Not my style, but to each his own.

You done good! :)

· Registered
14,256 Posts
I'm not a sole trophy hunter (not yet) so I'd shot him for the meat! Plus my son hunts with me and at this point that is what I would of done, this way I get him up and close to a kill and keep his interest.

· Registered
2,919 Posts
aint that the truth... second guessing will eat you up! :confused:
yep, I second guess myself on exactly the same thing every time I do it (especially when the season comes and goes with no venison on the freezer)

it is a personal decision with no right or wrong answer -- my personal choice is not to shoot spikes any more; it would be better to shoot a doe instead -- so my personal opinion is you made the right choice

· Registered
7,438 Posts
"spike buck... should I have shot? "

Only you can answer that question, and you did right after you passed the shot. Water under the bridge.

· Registered
4,469 Posts
If that is what you decided to do then sure, you did the right thing. Don't let anyone tell you what you should and shouldn't shoot when you are hunting. If it is legal, under 3" spike in TN is not legal, and you want to shoot it then do so and be proud. If you pass then feel good about that. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Under 3" is legal in Tennessee, it's just considered an antlerless deer and you can kill anterless deer in Tennessee's archery season. It's definitely legal in TN.

· Premium Member
963 Posts
I always tell new archers that have never taken a deer to take the first good shot they get..

Once you get that first one in the bag it builds your confidence up..

Then you can start holding out for bigger deer..

Do what you feel is right...

· Registered
14,256 Posts
I always tell new archers that have never taken a deer to take the first good shot they get..

YES!! As long as it's not in spots or a doe with a yearling. :wink:

· Registered
589 Posts
I took my first buck a couple of years ago, and it was a spike. Now if I saw a spike I would most likely wait, but I agree with everyone else. The decision YOU make is the only RIGHT decision.

· Registered
246 Posts
Amen to that!

EXACTLY!! I don't like to see little bucks shot by veteran hunters, but that's their choice. My feeling is a new hunter should have access to any deer! The worst thing in the world, I think, is to push values such as "let the little one walk" to new hunters. I shot spikers as a kid and now I hold off on them. Do that to a new hunter and they will develop a complex about what they shoot and they lose the excitement of the hunt. I can give examples if you like!!

· Registered
264 Posts
I've also yet to shoot and recover my first bow deer (lost one Saturday) and the first legal deer (antler restriction area) that presents a shot is getting some carbon throwed at 'em! Next time squeeze it off! Good luck!

· The Foam Collector
2,418 Posts
I would have taken it, every deer taken with a bow is a trophy. Besides...you don't eat the antlers.:wink:

· JB WELD PRO STAFFER
13,674 Posts
Shoot what YOU want if your sitting behind a computer right now thinking I should have shot that spike then you probably should have! Dont listen to what other people say as many will tell you to hold of for a 140 incher or tell you not to shoot anything under 4 yrs old or whatever. Shoot what you want too and you will always be happy. Me I got two buck tags so the first LEGAL deer I see goes in the freezer. I would have probably stuck him:darkbeer:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.