Archery Talk Forum banner

Spike/Gaff/Spur Hunters - Need your recomendations

13K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Palegabe 
#1 ·
Guys,

Hunting my first year with the Guido's Web and I am going to try using climbing spurs to get up the tree, setup my ameristep platform and hunt. I have been working out this year to prepare for the season so my fitness is better than it has been. I am still around 240lb and wear a size 12 boot but I have more muscle now. What climbing spike setups do you recommend? What do you use and why do you like it or don't? Straight gaffs, contoured, straight stirrups, offset, Buckingham, Beck, Bashlin, Klein, etc? What tips would you offer? What options are important? How important is the weight of the gaffs and pads. What pads work best for you? Thanks in advance!

Pale~

#2 ·
Have you ever climbed with gaffs before? You want to make sure they fit you right and are comfortable. I used to wear them when I trimmed trees around power lines. Straight gaffs and I believe they were Buckinghams. You definitely want to get them and get used to how they feel and learning how to ascend a tree. It takes some skill to climb with them on.

#4 ·
I used to climb poles everyday on the job, and have climbed trees on and off for years either hunting, hanging stands, or trimming them.

I've used them all except Beck.

Klein: My favorite for pole climbing and working. Unforgiving and most times if you get your butt close to the tree/pole, you'll probably cut out and hit the ground. Your feet will set closer to what you're climbing with Kleins and you can get a lot more leverage. I found it much easier to lift and pull weight in my Kleins. These were straight stirrup, straight gaff. I think that's the only way they come.

Bashlin: Most of the newer lineman wore them. They're probably not as easy for just going up and down, but they're much more forgiving. The gaff angle on them keeps your feet a little farther from the pole/tree and you can get by with a lot more before cutting out. I always felt like I had about half strength when wearing Bashlins compared to Kleins. My first pair had that offset shank, and I hated it. I was very awkward and not comfortable at all. I tried to give them away and no one liked them enough to take them. My second pair, and the ones I still use were the straight shanked aluminum hooks. They are comfortable and it's very hard to cut-out with them. If I was recommending a pair to someone new to climbing I'd probably tell them to get some of those.

Buckingham: About right between the Kleins and Bashlins. Angle isn't as aggressive on the gaff as the Bashlins, but it's more than Kleins. I'm not sure if it was just the pads I used or what, but I had a pair of the Titanium Bucks for a while and thought they were very uncomfortable. I didn't see a lot of lineman wearing them. YMMV

I always like the leather pads the best. The velcro is much faster and feels better on your legs, but the leather pads with the straps always felt more secure to me. They don't move around near as much. When I free climb 70 ft. + poles, I like to feel secure!

Make absolutely sure you get tree gaffs and not pole gaffs. Unless you're really short, I'd also recommend getting the longer shank hooks. I found them to be much more comfortable higher than lower, and even the long shanks will get pretty short adjusted all the way down.

Good boots make all the difference in the world, but if you're just hanging stands and climbing in them half hour or less at a time, I think you'd be fine without a climbing boot.

Climbing isn't all that easy, and they're nothing natural about it. There's definitely a learning curve but anyone in decent shape should be able to pick it up pretty quick.

IMHO I'd strongly recommend getting some good steps or climbing sticks. I think you'd be much happier and safer.

If you do go with hooks, be careful. Watch your feet and legs, those things can make for some pretty nasty wounds.

#5 ·
Lots of food for thought here. Thanks! So the straight gaffs are easier to use then the contoured or twisted shafts (I would have thought otherwise so big thanks here). Go with the longer shank and adust down (From sole to knee bone I am about 18"). Bashlin is what you recommend for new climbers along with leather pads. Would these be T or L pads? I am only going up about 17-20 ft so I would be ok without climbing boot. Beyond all that you would go with sticks (which I can't do to damn heavy and bulky for what I am doing) or steps (could consider climb paws light but bulky). Takes time and practice, but then so does everything. Could spear yourself (that one got me a little worried).

I am kind of surprised there aren't more spike hunters out there.

#6 ·
Watch videos of how to climb with hooks and practice climbing up and down about 7-10' before every trying to go up to 17-20'. Most people that I see cut out (gaff coming out of tree/pole causing you to fall) is when they are climbing down. When I was taught to climb they used a lock and drop technique to decent the tree/pole.

#7 ·
http://www.fwlsp.com/product/174/climber-pads

^^my favorite pads.

I remember when I first started climbing. We trained on 45' poles. This was before the bucksqueeze and pole shark, so we didn't have any fall restraints. I made it to the top on our second day of training (which was climbing naked poles in the evenings after work) and remember thinking "Hey, this aint so bad!". Coming down scared me to death though and I hated it ever since. That first step down is where I've seen most people cut out.

#11 ·
#10 ·
I use buckingham. The biggest problem is going around limbs, if it's a straight tree pretty easy, linesman belt is a must. Guido's web is the most comfortable stand you will use, little less maneuverability than the trophyline but still awesome stand.

#14 ·
Hey do any of you former lineman have a good set of used climbers, straps, and pads? If so send me a PM.

#15 ·
Never worked with spurs but the guys that taught me to bow all used this method to bowhunt whitetails. So i naturally start using them too. The method is very effective at being mobile but I did it for 10 years and my opinion is that risk out ways the rewards. That's why i quit using them and use sticks now. VERY DANGEROUS! With all the different ways of getting up a tree no reason to use spurs. Get some climbing sticks!

#17 ·
Mobility is what I need. I will give it a try. If I don't like it i will just go back to the climber. I bought some Muddys and put them up for sale the next day. I am particular in what I am looking for and bulky and heavy is not what I need or want. Wespur has a brand new set of Buckinghams with a to your door price of $179. That what I am going to try. I wish I had private land or money for a lease but that is not the case. I envy you guys who can just leave your stands on your land and use rapid rails or ladder stands and just walk to and away after every hunt. I am not so lucky. On public land I need to go deeper and farther than your normal hunter. I need to be mobile. I want to have a flexible tree selection. I want to be able to modify my position in the tree if the wind changes or the deer come from an unexpected direction. I am still looking for the best way to do this and I will admit I haven't found it. But I will keep looking.

#18 ·
If you were closer, I'd help teach you how to climb up and down using gaffs. Just make sure you take your time and don't try to go to high right away. When I first started climbing, I would go up 5 ft or so and climb back down. ALWAYS ALWAYS use a climbing belt until you are sure of your ability. And even then you should still use it. If you have any questions, I would be happy to help. Be careful.

#19 ·
Brian, once I get the gaffs I will pm you. I very much appreciate the offer. I am seen videos of guys using their hands and gaffs only. I won't be doing that. I will be using a belt the entire way. I will practice at low heights to build up my confience and technique.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.