Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
I don’t hunt for the sport I hunt for the meat
25,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I shoot a 27.5" hoyt faktor at 70# and 28" arrow. Will I be overspined with a .300 spine with 100 gr arrow?

·
Registered
25,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry suppose to say 100 gr tip

·
Registered
850 Posts
No. 300 spine should tune well for you. Nice thing also is that you could up your foc and not be under spined with the 300s

·
Registered
25,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks yea right now I shoot axis 300 with brass inserts but wanted to see if I could lighten a little by using regular inserts? Thanks

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
she will be stiff but should be no reason it wouldn't tune.

·
Registered
25,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would I be better off with a 340 with a standard insert?

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
your f.o.c would be better with a 100 grain tip I just built some 350 spine arrows at 7.9 grains at 29 inch long arrows with 125 grains tips for my 65 lb carbon matrix at 29 1/2 inch draw they tuned up great.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
what weight of shaft you going with and are you trying to go lighter and keep a decent f.o.c . if so I would go with a .340 or .350 around 8.4 grains.

·
Registered
25,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jesse first thanks for the help. Right now I shoot axis 300 with brass inserts weighing 496 gr. I'm thinking of going lighter to tighten my pin gaps to allow for ranging error but want enough to punch a rage through a deer. Recommend me a arrow. Thanks

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
first off the is lots of great arrows out there so I will leave it to you to pick your arrow if it where me I would look for an arrow in the 8.2 to 8.4 grains range in the spine you want and would go with a 125 grain head I no I'm gonna go with carbon express blue streaks this up and coming season I also use rage heads and had no problems with pass throughs with arrows weighing in the 370 to 400 grain range.

·
Registered
25,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wouldn't going to a 125 tip make my 340 or 350 too weak?

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
in my opinion no I also don't no what kind of tuning you do to your rigs or arrows either .

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
all my pse bows I have owned where all 70 lb bows and had harsher cams than your hoyt and I always used either 340 to 350 spine arrows with no tuning issues at all .

·
Registered
25,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok bud Ill give em a try thank u again

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
no problem bro if you run into any problems give me a p.m on here I don't no what kind of arrow tuning you do but if you fletch your owen arrows I would bare shaft and nock tune all arrows before you fletch them if you don't mind spending the extra time on making sure they all come out of the bow the same.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I agree with jesses80, how you tune your arrows to your bow is very important. I just lightened my arrow setup also, going from 486 grains to 428. I lost only 2% foc (15 -13) and my arrows now are considerably faster and it tightened up my pin gap nicely. I always buy just shafts with nocks and inserts and fletch my own arrows after I index the arrows to perfect bullet holes through paper. It's the only way I can be assured every arrows flies the same.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts