Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All
I shoot a PSE driveR 60#, 27.5" draw, my bow has a IBO of 320. I currently only shoot a 100gr BroadHead. I currently shoot GoldTip 400 arrows. I would like to shoot a 185 grain grizzly single bevel with a 125gr glue on adapter for a total tip weight of 310gr. I know the extra weight up front will require a stiffer spine. Does anyone have an idea about what spine might work well? Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Archers Advantage says a 400 spine at 27" will be fine. I would try a 340 spine or a 300. Running it thru looks like it will be pretty slow at 200fps. Great FOC tho.

·
Registered
17,347 Posts
I would go 300 spine, gold tip velocity or black eagle carnivore for some crazy foc!

Watch the ranch fairy on youtube.

·
Registered
49,459 Posts
My .02 your putting too much weight forward, your not going to like the results, it's overboard.. That would put your total arrow weight close to 700+. There is absouletly nothing in North America you would need something like that. Your current set up is way, way better.

·
The Impartial Archer
17,601 Posts
Archers Advantage says a 400 spine at 27" will be fine. I would try a 340 spine or a 300. Running it thru looks like it will be pretty slow at 200fps. Great FOC tho.
That HAS to be wrong...….lol. I need a 400 spine with 125 grains up front shooting a 27 inch arrow at 63 pounds...by the book. In the field I found the 340 was much better.

That extra 275 grains he is adding is going to throw that out the window. I'd try a 300 no matter what the programs say.

·
The Impartial Archer
17,601 Posts
My .02 your putting too much weight forward, your not going to like the results, it's overboard.. That would put your total arrow weight close to 700+. There is absouletly nothing in North America you would need something like that. Your current set up is way, way better.
He's probably correct but try it out and see for yourself. I went to 600 high FOC and it was giving me no more advantage than my 500 or 525 average FOC arrows. The speed & trajectory was noticeable worse and I couldn't see any difference in the field in penetration or even quietness the way my bow is setup.

So for me the negatives outweighed the positives which led me back to less arrow weight but still more than 80% of the people out there. I really like about 8 GPP for most of my compounds. No right or wrong just sharing info.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
300 or 250 depending on arrow length

I shoot 60# 27.5” draw

With 225 up front it spikes out well with 300’s cut at 28” with 275 up front it spines out well with 300’s cut at 27” I don’t go much shorter than that... don’t want broadhead-Zilla behind my hand 🙂

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
300 spine.

I would look at the blackeagle carnivore. Bareshaft will put you around 556gr. This would be a great weight. I can help you build and tune this type of set up. But, I only do that through emails. Or on the phone.

·
Registered
172 Posts
There is no way a 400 spine shaft will handle that much weight up front. Look at the Ranch Fairy videos and learn how to tune the arrow by adjusting the point weight. There will be a point weight that will fly like a dart. Once you figure out what that weight is build a broad head to match it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
There is no way a 400 spine shaft will handle that much weight up front. Look at the Ranch Fairy videos and learn how to tune the arrow by adjusting the point weight. There will be a point weight that will fly like a dart. Once you figure out what that weight is build a broad head to match it.
X2

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

·
Registered
403 Posts
That HAS to be wrong...….lol. I need a 400 spine with 125 grains up front shooting a 27 inch arrow at 63 pounds...by the book. In the field I found the 340 was much better.

That extra 275 grains he is adding is going to throw that out the window. I'd try a 300 no matter what the programs say.
Your 100% correct. I just ran the numbers again and it says a 340 is optimum. Also depends how long your arrow is. I would buy 2 340 and to 300 gt hunters and see what works.
I just ordered 260 spine axis 5mm for my 29" draw 70# bow with the same 338 IBO as yours. I also currently shoot 300 spine 29" with a 75 grain insert and 125 and 150 grain heads and not having arrow problems. I dont think you need a 250.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts