Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am confused. I am shooting a Switchback set at 64lbs with a 28" draw and 125 gr thunderheads. When I papertuned the bow at the proshop I was getting tears, until I tried a stiffer arrow. The first shot I got a bullet hole. I am shooting 5575 gold tips. I was looking at the 7595's and the charts said that they were for draw weights from 70lbs and up. I know a lot of people on here are shooting similar setups with the 5575s and not having problems, so what's the deal? Do I need to go buy new arrows or is it a tuning thing? OR, should I just try my bh's and see if they fly straight and call it good?

GM

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
First you might want to try 100 gr (or even 85 gr) heads to increase your relative stiffness. I assume you're shooting a 27" arrow? You didn't say, but my SB is a 30" and I shoot a 29". Of course depending on your rest and how much your arrow goes past it at full draw, it could be anywhere from 25 to 30": so you need to provide more information. I shoot my SB at 63 lbs with 55/75s and 100 gr heads and it shoots well.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My arrows are 27". I was thinking about dropping down to 100gr, but I ONLY hunt elk, so I am trying to keep the weight up as much as possible. I have a TT shakey drop away rest installed. Any more ideas?

GM

·
Registered
462 Posts
ucsdryder, I also have 27" and hunt elk, primarily. I use 125 grn heads, and had to switch to Blackhawk Vapor 5000's from the 4000's because of DYNAMIC spine issues. I was on the hairy edge w/ the 4000's. If I kicked my poundage up 4 lbs, my broadheads would never hit with my fieldtips. Interrestingly, when I switched to 5000's, I HAD to increase my lbs, because I was suddenly TOO stiff. It's amazing how sensitive big broadheads like my Stingers can be, but dial your DYNAMIC spine in and you're good to go.
Don

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
I am shooting 125gr. stingers out of a 70# hoyt. I am shooting the GT XT Hunters 7595 cut to 27.5".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts