Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shooting a 50# Samick Journey with Carbon Express Heritage 350 Arrows (full length) with a 125gr tip. I have a 30" DL. Spine ok?

·
Registered
491 Posts
A quick look at the charts indicates that you are good with that arrow. I know the Easton charts show a little stiff, how is your arrow flight?

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
If that 350 means .350 deflection, I'd say your too stiff. I shoot 50 at 29 and can shoot .600, but .500 is a little closer to good hunting weight. But that's just my setup. How close are you cut to center? What ever it is, I'd think you need more than 125 to bend a .350.

Bowmania

·
Registered
491 Posts
If that 350 means .350 deflection, I'd say your too stiff. I shoot 50 at 29 and can shoot .600, but .500 is a little closer to good hunting weight. But that's just my setup. How close are you cut to center? What ever it is, I'd think you need more than 125 to bend a .350.

Bowmania
Some Carbon Express arrows are numbered differently and not by deflection. The 350 is a deflection of 0.324, the 150 is 0.495 that's what he may need.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I shoot CX heritage 150s @ 29" out of a 50# @ 26.5" bow. I had to use 100gr inserts and 125 tips to get the bare shaft test to work. Bottom line is don't trust the charts. Bare shaft @ full length an trim back to stiffen as needed.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Well you can't make them any longer, but you can order 100gr inserts from Three Rivers and keep adding point weight until you weaken the spine enough... That's what I had to do, and I'm only using 150s.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 350s are a .324" deflection.

·
Registered
12,058 Posts
Your spine may be fine, or it may not be. Nobody on this board or any other can tell you exactly what you need. Good intentioned approximations is about all you can hope for, fortunately in many instances that's close enough. The thing is, you will find that what works for one may be far from correct for others, especially if you want to put broadheads on your arrows.

If the CE 350s are a .324" deflection, for a 50# bow and full length arrow, long draw archer, they sound relatively reasonable to me. Maybe a bit on the stiff side but I wouldn't run out and buy anything of weaker spine until you do some tuning. I'm shooting a 50# recurve at my 29" draw length and use a 31" .340 with 200gr. points. I'm not sure how that would work for you but it's not too far off from what you have now.

I'm not sure what your experience level is but tuning for beginners can be frustrating, much of it depends on how consistent your form is. If you have been shooting a while try tuning, it's the only way to know for sure. This links gives a pretty good description of the process...http://www.acsbows.com/bareshaftplaning.html

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I definitely have to settle in on my form before I start tweaking things! Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts