Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 206 Posts

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously. Why all the gimmicks? I want to know. Our dads are 10x the hunters than we'll ever be, and they didn't
have scent-krok or range finders or whisker thingies or bows that looked like they were made by aliens. They didn't
need broadheads with lasers shooting out of them. Doesn't anyone like the challenge of hunting anymore? Some
of these gimmicks are no different than shooting a deer in a pen. What's getting to me the most today is the use
of rangefinders. Can't you tell how far 10 yards is vs. 30 yards? What happened to instincts? What happened to relying
on your skills instead of relying on a gadget?

:icon_salut::icon_salut::icon_salut::icon_salut:

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
McDonalds. Walmart. Debit Card. Power Steering. Air Conditioning. Frozen food.

Use any of these? LOL

I agree with what you're saying, but a lot of people wouldn't be hunting if it wasnt for all the gadgets that make it easier to be less of a hunter and still get credit for the kill.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I recently came to the realization that I really don't care what everyone else is doing. I hunt for me..
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
890 Posts
Rangefinders make it possible for the hunter to know the exact yardage to the quarry. Knowing the exact yardage makes it possibe for the hunter to place the pin more accurately and make a good shot. That leads to a quick effecient kill. I cant, for the life of me, think how that could be a bad thing.

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
McDonalds. Walmart. Debit Card. Power Steering. Air Conditioning. Frozen food.

Use any of these? LOL

I agree with what you're saying, but a lot of people wouldn't be hunting if it wasnt for all the gadgets that make it easier to be less of a hunter and still get credit for the kill.
mcdonalds is 70yrs old, walmart 50yrs, air conditioning 110yrs old, modern frozen food 125yrs old, credit cards 120yds old, power steering is 100yrs old

·
Registered
36 Posts
i like gadits,gps,rangefinders,machanicals, tree stands, groundblinds, I love it all, and yes I hunt rabbits and small game with a longbow also but perfer the quality of a fine compound when it cames to shooting elk and mules, but hey that's me:)

·
Banned
599 Posts
What makes them the better hunter? More abundant game? More, easier access to prime hunting lands? More liberal game laws? Longer seasons? Dow e know about the misses, wounded animals never recovered, other liberties people may have taken to stretch the rules in order to get the big one?

Who says they were better hunters and didn't just have better hunting situations? Who's to say we shouldn't use every tool available to us to ensure clean hits and higher recovery rates? Who's to say what we shouldn't and shouldn't do and as long as it's legal why is it anyone else's business?

·
Registered
890 Posts
mcdonalds is 70yrs old, walmart 50yrs, air conditioning 110yrs old, modern frozen food 125yrs old, credit cards 120yds old, power steering is 100yrs old
If Im remembering correctly, they used rangefinding equipment during the Civil War.

·
Scout, Hunt, Kill!!!
4,264 Posts
I guess we should all throw away our clothes for loin cloths, sleep in caves, and hunt with spears too...

I don't see anything wrong with innovation on bows and better hunting equipment. Judging distance isn't that hard, so I agree on the rangefinders not being necessary. They aren't worth 200 dollars to me.

All the gadgets that "promise" if you use our deer pee or scented poop pellets you will kill more deer than if you use our competitors brand. All the worthless crap aimed at new or desperate hunters...:pukey:

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you use a release?? I agree with a few of your points,like the rangefinder. So,what's your set-up??
I was born with my releasers attached to my hand.
Here's my primary weapon of choice this year.

Attachments

·
Registered
454 Posts
It's human nature to continue to advance. Not to advance in our weapons would be totally against our make-up. If it wasn't for our instinctual drive to advance would would still be living in caves. Also, if you go back to Fred Bear's days, they were the cutting edge of bowhunting...way advanced. The same could be said of their gear compared to what the Indians used. The same conversation we are having was being discussed then.

·
That's a bear track!
28,860 Posts
I started out with a recurve when I was eight or ten, forty-something years ago. I still can't shoot one.

·
Registered
263 Posts
do really think that if the old timers had todays modern technology they would not use it . they didnt have it avialable or im shure a major percentage of them would . and i hunt with a recurve as well as a compound

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I recently came to the realization that I really don't care what everyone else is doing. I hunt for me..
Posted via Mobile Device
comes a time when it's no longer called hunting

·
Registered
263 Posts
Posted via Mobile Device
x2 !!!

·
Registered
652 Posts
I need my walkers game ear to hear deer dinking water..
I need my range finder to know that he is 86 yards away..:embara:

I still need to decide . Do I use my 85 yard pin and aim high? Or my 90 yard pin and aim low?:wink:

UncleRay

·
Registered
890 Posts
from 20 yards away?
Probably not. But they used what they had to be as effiecient as possible. Just as people do today. On a side note, I find it funny that you're on a computer, and the internet no less, complaining about people using technology to make things easier.

1 - 20 of 206 Posts