Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for any imput on the best tape for attaching the mylar vanes.
I am not new to this game(4 years), I'm just frustrated with the results. All tapes begin to peel back or separate within a few weeks. I currently use kurly vanes as they seem to hold up better than spinwings. But I have used kurly tape, spin tape and even bohning and none seem to hold up.
Thanks- Zane

·
Life is short, live it!
1,152 Posts
I clean the shaft and the vane with 99% isopropyl. The tape the comes with them is working fine. i switched the type of tape I use for the front and back ends of the vanes though.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I have never had any difficulty with Spinwings detaching from the shafts, provided the shaft is clean when applied. I put lines on the shaft and apply the tape to the shafts, enabling me to press it on hard. I have used the tape that comes with Spinwings, Curly Vanes, and the tape meant for feathers. All seem to work just fine. I prefer the Curly vane end tape.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've never had a problem with the vanes detaching, but I do notice that some seem to go on flatter or stick out more, depending on how well each one adheres to the tape, leading me to having some odd angles on the vanes unless I smooth them out before shooting each one. Is this going to result in any problems with arrow flight?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had an issue and noticed that the tape in the package varied....I did not like the pinkish backed tape so now I ask for a package with the 3M tape. Sometimes it comes a bit wider. Make sure you clean the shafts with 98% alchol and after you press it on with your hand burnish it with a round metal object aaaa9like a knife handle of another shaft. They will stay on very well if this is done. The edges may be slightly exposed and therefor the neighboring arrow's vane may stick to it. You can resolve this by sprinkeing talcom (sp?) powder in them then bruching off the excess. the powder sticke t the adhesive so you other arrows wont.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Spin Wing Tape

I am a little confused. You mention Spin Wing Tape and then you mention Kurly Vanes. I assume you tried using Spin Wing tape to attached the Kurly vanes

I fletched a dozen arrows using Kurly Vanes and the Kurly Vane tape. Unfortunately all the vanes fell off. The Kurly Vanes peeled from both the front and trailing edge.

I sent and email to the folks at Kurly Vanes regarding the problem and got a nasty reply. I called Spin Wing and they suggested I clean each Kurly Vane with 99% isopropyl (as suggested above) before I attached them. The folks at Spin Wings thought there may be something on the Kurly Vanes left during the manufacturing process.

The heck with that! I do clean the shaft but I refuse to clean every individual vane. I went back to Spin Wing vanes with Spin Wing tape exclusively and have never had a problem with the Spin Wing Vanes falling off.

Do Kurly Vanes hold up better than Spin Wings? Maybe, I don't know. But I would be more concerned that the vane stays on the shaft.

Regards and Good Shooting

·
Life is short, live it!
1,152 Posts
Lindy,
I understand your reluctance to spend the time to wipe each vane. It does take time, but not much. I have no idea if Range-O-Matic cleans the spin wings before they package them but it doesn't matter because I'm going to clean them too. I use my custom wing holder, insert a vane, give it a couple wipes, and drop it on a clean paper towel. It really doesn't take too long, even for 36 vanes. When I i'm done cleaning the vanes, I clean my fingers with 99% too. The oils in your skin will affect the tape adherance. I do this for other plastic vanes as well. You just never know where that have has been! :eek:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responce from everyone.
I have put spinwing/kurly vanes on hundreds of arrows and did not mean to say that they come flying off.
I am just trying to find the BEST option for the tape.
I do clean the shaft and vane with alcohol.
The bohning tape seams to work a little bit better.
Maybe I am a little picky or frustrated that they can begin to lift after some time. They mostly separate from the vane along curled side.
I know that some of you will soon be chiming in about plastic/rubber vanes.
Thanks again,Zane

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
The best stuff is Bohning Fletching Tape in the roll. I just pulled my X10s out, after being quivered and hanging all winter, absolute minimal curling with the Bohning tape. Usually, I have to smooth it down and maybe even refletch, not with that stuff. I quit using the junk they include with the Spin Wings a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
497 Posts
+1 for the Bohning Fletch Tape. Much easier to work with. Thinner than the supplied tape that comes with the Kurly vanes so your arrows tend not to stick together as much.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
haha spin wing tape...a pet peave

let me rate the adhesion of the tapes I've used

best --- car pin striping, strong and lasts longer than the vanes, bit big, but cheap, at you local rod and custom
next --- spin wing tape, black, does a good job
then --- kurly vane tape, well it dries up, and peels
worst ---the clear tape from Socx, just worthless, peels after a few days, I hate it, but I have so much of it...

never tried Bohning, so not sure where it fits in

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use acetone to prep the shafts and have used kurly vanes with the tape but you need to clean a small strip along the edge where tha vane contacts the shaft. Spin wings are good they don't need any prep on the vane but I still clean the shaft.
The tape provided on the kurly vane are very tacky and in hot weather it will stick to anything it comes in contact with, most of the time, other vanes on other arrows in your quiver, i overcome it by shaking some talcom pouder over the vane section.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Spin Wing Tape

I agree with CC46 on tape used on the front and rear of the vane. The car pin stripping tape is also a little narrower than the Spin Wing tape and comes in a number of different colors.

I also agree that cleaning the Kurly Vanes are necessary. I found out the hard way after fletching a dozen shafts. I was not happy with the responce I got from the folks at Kurly Vanes.

Unlike most of the comments on AT that I find very helpful. Thank You.

Regards and Good Shooting.

·
Indifferent User
280 Posts
The original SW 3M tape with the white paper backing (416?) was the best.

The brown-backed and faced stuff that they used in the last few years (200MP?) was not good.

The new stuff (red plastic backing) seems to be good. It sticks a lot better than the brown-backed stuff and almost as well as the original white backed tape. This seems similar to the Schaeffer fletching tape roll they sold about 10 years ago, and also it's similar to the stuff sold with the Ambo vanes around the same time.

I noticed it's narrower than either of the old type SW tapes though, which makes the vane stand up ever so slightly straighter. I think that Richard Carella used to sell this as an optional tape and I think it also came with the smallest size SW vanes, which were just over an inch in size. That was a long time ago though.

The latest tape is a little harder to peel, but I've had no problem with any of the fletching jobs I've done for myself or my students with that tape.

Seems OK in hot weather too, we had no problems in AZ.

Edited to add: I wonder if that Bohning tape you mention is the same as the Schaeffer tape of 10 years ago. It's made with a transparent red plastic backing. If it's the same it should be good stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts