Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shooting my UltraTec with a Brite Site Original Pro Tuner (with the thin lizard-tongue blade) and Easton Navigators with SpinWings.

How should I adjust the nock?

My guess (and I'm not really happy with it) is that the glued-down wing goes down one half of the tongue, and the shaft goes down the other, so I should have the very edge of the SpinWing "ride" the middle of the lizard-tongue.

What do you do?

I think that it is impossible for the tongue to only touch the shaft and not either cross the glued-down portion of the SpinWings or perhaps even hit a fletching?

In passing, I was using the Beiter TriLiner and Wing Holders, and they rock.

kgk

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
"What do you do?"

Switch to regular plasic vanes like FF or Duravanes. The only way you are really going to get SpinWings to work is with a drop-away rest.

-CG

·
Registered
424 Posts
I tried the spin wings on my CE's and set them up as you described. I set the nocking point slightly high and started powder testing. I ended up getting only 1 line through the last 5 inches of the shaft right between the spin wings. I also shot 3 fletched with 1.75" Flex Fletch and 1.8" Duravanes at the same target at 80 yds. I couldn't find much difference in impact point between any of them ( calm day, I didn't try them in the wind). As much as I like the Spin Wings or Kurly Vanes I decided to go with the Flex Fletch because they are very low mantainence.
If your set on the Spin Wings I would suggest doing what you have described and play around with nock position while powder testing.
Toddbow

·
Lefty Senior Member
2,815 Posts
CG, PLEEEEZ. I can tell you are not familiar with Spin-wings. A dropaway is not necessary.

KGK, Take the shaft and rotate it so the that you have what would be your cock vane straight up. So that the blade runs between the two vanes on the bottom of the shaft. You should have no problems with clearance. If so feel free to pm me with questions.

Sean

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
hoytshooter69;

"PLEEEEZ. I can tell you are not familiar with Spin-wings."

An interesting idea if I first hadn't started using spinwings in 1986, and I had used them for years on both compounds and recurves. It's fine to have an opinion, but don't presume to try and guess what another members experiances are, or like in this case you get to be wrong...

:rolleyes: ;)

Knock yourself out with Spinwings on a lizard tounge rest...like 80% of the people who try it, you are likely to move back to standard plastic fletching...

-CG

·
Lefty Senior Member
2,815 Posts
Sorry to presume you never used them but you must have changed for a reason right? Why because everyone who posts a question about them you immediately are trying to switch them to plastic vanes.

I have been shooting Spin-wings almost since their inception. The inventor lived around the block from me and shot at my shop. They are very easy to setup and use if you follow the included instructions and have a bit of patience. Good luck to KGK.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
hoytshooter69;

"Why because everyone who posts a question about them you immediately are trying to switch them to plastic vanes."

Everytime? I don't know what posts you are thinking about but I have reccomended Spinwings on occasion both on this forum and others, but it depends on the setup. In the case of a compound with a release and lizard tongue launcher it is more trouble than it is worth. Feel free to do a search on my membername + spinwings. Sounds like you are jumping to conclusions.

I have no issues using them for FITA recurve, other than they aren't that durable - but anyone who has shot SpinWings for a while knows they are a little fragile.

-CG

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just learned that James Park adjusts his nocks like I do, so that should be good enough for me.

Then again, perhaps I need to replace my Brite Site Pro Tuner (in Ti) with an ARE Sniper V drop-away. :) (I would be going from the simplest to the most complex rest on the market in one jump.)

kgk

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
I have this same problem on a set of ACE's I just received/spin wings on them.Since there are 20 arrows ,I set 12 aside,and turned the cock feather up on the rest.
Havn't shot them alot,but I'm ordering some 1.8's anyway.
Jerry

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I shot spinwings with a drop away and had good luck with them, I switched to a pro-tuner (had some drop-aways fail) and had to switch to vanes.

I would say CG's "opinion" is right on based on my experience.

I don't really see how there is any room for clearance on a tongue given that there is a tape line around the shaft and that the spinwings curl over the opening between the base of the wings. If I adust my nocking point so that the back of the shaft leaves the rest early, it is probably possible but why bother - there isn't anything magic about spinwings and my vanes shot just as well as the wings did when I switched. You won't see a lot of the top compound shooters using spinwings but you will see it in recurve where it makes a big difference stabilizing the arrow quickly.

Unless you are sponsored by them, go easy on yourself and try vanes.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I've neve shot spinwings so I may be completely off base here.

Keep in mind that when the release fires, and you have setup your rest properly, the blade of the rest will spring down out of the way. The arrow itself does not slide down the rest during firing. It bounces off and the rest spings down. There will be clearance for the spinwing tape. The key then is to make sure you have you nock twisted in the right place so that the spinwing vanes clear the rest.

For a lizard tounge that means point the cock vane up.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
SuperX said:
Geoff, powdertesting does not bear your premise out.
Check to make sure you don't have the springs on your rest set too tight. They should just barely hold the arrow up. In fact some people have it set so light that as they draw the arrow rises up.

I've just started using one of the premo launchers on a GKF Infinity. With the premo launcher you set the springs on the rest very tight. When you release the arrow, the springy blade bounces down and out of the way of the arrow as it flies out of the bow. Works very well.

The only other possibilty is you need to change your nocking point because the nock end of the arrow is bouncing down into the laucher as it passes by.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Geoff, I think we'll have to disagree on this one. Try an search on powder test* and you will see that there is more than one way to skin a cat :)

·
ArcheryLessonsOnline.com
2,013 Posts
I have great success with spin wings on a lizard tongue. As long as you have a decent tune, you will have no issues.

Adam G

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Listen to adam.

IMO, clearance is WAY overrated. right now I went to helicle and my fletch is hitting in between the launcher because I have my nock straight instead of turned. My left/rights high/low has not changed. as long as you have the right blade you should be OK.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
yes dave gets contact for sure. Little x10's with his wider blade there is no way you can prevent contact. He sets up his equipment so when the arrow is shot upside down it is still in the gold.

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
I used to shoot Spin Wings as did e few of the guys that I shoot with. The only reason we stopped shooting them was because they don't take any abuse. They are easy to get clearance with. If you are shooting a Tuner you can grind down a blade with a dremil tool for better clearance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts