Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 56 yo and i shoot 60 / 70# and 29" draw for hunting and i do it without any problems YET. I have been wanting a hoyt protec with 3000 limbs and a spiral cam BUT i have heard that the spiral cams have a tendancy to cause shoulder problems if you do a lot of shooting with it. can anyone set me srtaight on this or could part of the problem come from shooting the shorter 2000 limbs. I dont know but i would like to get some professional information before i go out and buy a bow that could possibly tear up my shoulder. Any information would be greatly appreciated. DON WELLS

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Don, I shoot 65 with the spirals on both of my bows. I don't think the cam has anything to do with it. If you are pulling 65 on spirals or 65 on cam.5, you are still pulling 65 lbs. The draw force curve of the spirals tends to load more at the end of the cycle and they have less let off than the cam.5. The cam.5 tends to load more equally through the cycle. Simply put the cam.5 is harder at the beginning and the spirals are harder at the back. This is just my opinion. Not sure who told you that about shoulder problems but it isn't fact.

Mark

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Quite honestly, the spirals will let you generate the same amount of speed and energy than most other cams will while shooting at a lower poundage. This would be a benefit to your shoulders. Spirals are very capable when in the 50-60 pound range.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts