Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an interesting conversation today with a guy who said any one who uses a spiral cam on a hunting bow was making a big mistake, he went on to tell me that any bow shooting over 300fps should be outlawed from hunting because there is no way to control broadhead flight at that speed. Has any one heard of this. I shoot my hunting setup at 308 fps with 100 gr. montecs, blazers and radial x weaves and they fly like darts. I think this guy has been sniffing glue. Or jealous

·
Tooth, Fang, Claw
6,268 Posts
I agree Javi - The 14 deer I took in the last 3 years with my Super Tec and Ultra Tec (with spiral cams) didn't mind one bit (on second thought, maybe they did.....). This "guy" no's not what he speaketh about.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I agree, that is ridiculous. I love hunting with my Supertec. In fact, in my opinion its the best hunting bow I have ever owned.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I gotta a new vipertec with spirals and it has yet to hunt but everytime it sees a deer on tv it starts rattling its cage. :eek:

·
Michigander R.I.P.
5,540 Posts
Theres some people out there that have a hard time tuning a set-up @ 250fps so they think 300fps is impossible. But there is those of us that know it is possible.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hunting speed

He is probably worried about the following:

1: Losing arrows via passthrough
2: Not seeing where the arrow went
3: Missing altogether and having to walk further to retrieve and arrow

One of our club members shoots his hunting setup with 125 grain broadheads and chronos 317. His arrows seem to group fine from what I have seen right out to 90 yards.

Wish I could see that far :confused:

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I shot with him today and in my opinion he should stick to a shotgun,

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Fast is good. Faster is better.You just have to know how to tune a bow well to make it work. There are people who believe spiral cam speed is too much for 3-d also. They believe speed, low brace height etc. make a bow unshootable. I think the Turbotec/Supertec is the worlds best kept secret. I get all warm and fuzzy when I even hear the word spiral.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I got a used Ultratec with spirals before I had ever shot the cam & 1/2, and I love it! You don't have to shoot 300 fps if you don't want to anyway. I'm shooting 450 gr carbons & 3 blade Muzzys at about 270 fps (73 ft-lbs if I remember the formula). I don't feel the need for more speed, but more power to anyone who does. Everyone has the responsibility to hunt with perfect arrow flight no matter how fast or slow the speed.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Like everyone said above. I guess the mule deer and whitetails I shot last fall with my trusty side kick Supertec was a fluke. This is by far the best hunting bow I have ever shot! I have zero problems hunting, 3D, hell I've had to use it for target shooting before! Never failed me before, and will never go hunting with out him!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts