Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
bowhunting is a passion
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Hoyt Katera X L now and it is a Z-3 cam and it is sweet. Was thinking about an Alphaburner. How hard is it to get used to. The Spiral cams that is.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
I just picked my AB up a couple days ago. I have been shooting a 38 Pro and a 737, both with cam $ 1/2 + on them. I have to say I just love the feel and wall of the spirals. They force you to make a strong shot. They have a smooth build-up through the draw cycle, stiff but by no means harsh. The first time you draw it you expect a big dump into the valley but you just get a slight bump into a hard wall. Haven't shot mine alot but love what I see so far. Very nice, shootable speed bow.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I am not sure on a hunting bow, but I did order my Vantage pro with the Spirals last year. I shoot alot and also had the katera with the Z3's. Well I gave the Spirals a chance but just could not get used to them. I am used to relaxing a little while at full draw and could not do it with the Spirals. They are for sure a cam that you have to get used to. I loved the speed and wall with them but just relaxed to much at full draw to shoot them accurately at long distances. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Probably the most critical thing about Spirals is: there is NO TOLERANCE WHATSOEVER for even the slightest error in draw length (on the long side). You are better off 1/2" short than 1/8" inch long.

But I do love the fact that they get such efficiency and speed with NO HUMPS OR BUMPS. Stout but smooth from start to finish. This has become a critical thing for me as I get older-I don't mind stout, but I hate that jarring rollover of most cams these days.

I had an Ultratec back in 03 (or whatever year was first for spirals and the ultratec), and I was stupid and ordered it at my "normal" (i.e. 1/2" too long) draw length for the time. It was a nightmare. Now I know better :D

·
bowhunting is a passion
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
any other thoughts

·
Registered
347 Posts
i use my ab for hunting. like everyone else has said, its consistant on the draw with hardly any drop into a valley.
i havent had the problem as much as my dad when i let him shoot the ab, he wants to jump the string. the valley is short but i had no problem what-so-ever getting used to it. to each his own i guess.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
first set of spirals on my aburner for me they draw way better than i anticipated they have a better feel than the z3 or vector cams ive had

1 - 7 of 7 Posts