Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Spiral X cam Alphaburner since 2010. AB specs: 70DW, 29DL, 34ATA, 4.3lbs, 6BH, 340IBO, Spiral X cams, XT2000 limbs. For the past three years I’ve tried to convince myself that I need a new bow only to go test shoot the current year models. I did it again this year. I went and shot the Hoyt carbon bows. Before shooting them, I was fairly certain I needed to replace my AB with the Turbo. The RX-1, Turbo and Ultra were all nice shooters, but damn skippy, my AB feels pretty darn good too. It’s smooth on the draw throughout, has a solid back wall, and allows for minimum creep - not too much different than the RX-1 Turbo.

I’d like to hear some viewpoints of other Spiral X shooters. What do you think about the 2018 Hoyt RX-1 series? Am I nuts to think my AB feels very nice, or am I just so used to the Spirals that everything else feels blah?

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's been years since I regularly shot my '10 Alphaburner. It's the exact same set-up as your's. But recollecting from memory of how it shoots, my RX-1 turbo has a slightly longer valley and a harder back wall. Those spiral cams are notorious for a jump-out-of-your-hand type feel. For my money, the best Hoyt speed bow in between was the 2014 CST. I'd say if you're happy with the Alphaburner, stick with it. The new bow is not gonna do that much for you in reality. Only buy it if you want something new & shiny for the sake of being new!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for sharing your experiences IndyGreg. I appreciate the perspective.

With reading a few posts regarding RX-1 speeds, I believe my AB is sending arrows in the same ballpark. I am seeing 300 +-3fps at 5ft through my chrono shooting GT Velocity 300s totaling 440gr. My arrows measured about 28in with 125gr tips, 50gr inserts, 3 Gateway Rayzr feathers and standard GT 12gr nocks. According to GT’s calculator, that gives an FOC of 16% and KE of 88ft-lbs.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should have added that I am measuring about a 73% let-off with 70.8lbs peak and 18.8lbs hold on my Easton scale. And that I installed Twisted X BCY Mercury cables and string about 200 shots ago - so I suspect they are broken in by now.

·
Lovin Bow Season!
939 Posts
I still wish I had my burner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
It's been years since I regularly shot my '10 Alphaburner. It's the exact same set-up as your's. But recollecting from memory of how it shoots, my RX-1 turbo has a slightly longer valley and a harder back wall. Those spiral cams are notorious for a jump-out-of-your-hand type feel. For my money, the best Hoyt speed bow in between was the 2014 CST. I'd say if you're happy with the Alphaburner, stick with it. The new bow is not gonna do that much for you in reality. Only buy it if you want something new & shiny for the sake of being new!
Still have a burner in parts in the closet , owned a few of them back in the day. If you like the Spiral cams as I do then stay with the Burner as you wont find any other Hoyt that is quicker. The Burner is a stable platform one of my favorite Compound bow . Newer bows may have better valleys and higher let off but I always liked that the Spiral makes you pull into your anchor and the lower letoff make your anchor even better .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts