Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off my apologies if this question has already been addressed on this forum. If it has, please provide a link to the discussion.

I've just purchased a used 2014 Pro Comp Elite with #3.5 Spiral X cams (28" nominal DL). I think I'd like to switch to a set of GTX #3 cams for the increases DL range (27 - 28.5" without needing to change the base cam) and a little more let-off (65% vs 75%). Aside for the need to get a new string/cable set for the GTX's, and there any other gotcha's associated with this cam swap? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Your going to gain about 8-10lbs of draw weight going to gtx cams from spirals. Other than that just cams and strings. The cam spacers are the same

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, now that could be a show stopper.... So the GTX's require a different limb deflection for the same draw weight? Anyone have any idea which limbs I'd need to retain the 50-60# of the current Spiral X cams?

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
I believe the GTX cams will add 6-7 lbs. Had a deflection chart at one time, couldn't find it.
Edit: found it,,3.5 Spirals require 98 deflection for 60#---#3 GTX cams require 80 def for the same poundage. So it will be more like a 10-12# change.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, that is a deal breaker for sure. I could deal with cams + cables, but if I've got to change limbs as well, I'd be better off getting new bow. No sense in that. The increase let-off would have been nice, but what I was really looking for is a we bit more DL, so at this point, I think I'll try to hunt down a set #4 Spiral X's. Going that route, I can continue to use the current cables/string.

Thanks for all the help, guys.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I think you need to work with the spiral cams for a while. I did not like them when I first tried them. Shoot the spiral cams exclusively for 2-3 weeks. I think you will grow to like them a lot. I like an aggressive can, it makes you pull solidly into the stops and keeps you there. I used to have a creep problem that I was never aware of, now I don't and shoot better because of shooting hotter cams. Ya got a great bow there, go shoot the heck out of it.

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
What draw length are you trying to get to? And what max poundage would you want to shoot? You might be able to get the bow and cams you have right now to the length you need. Also, by extending them out, you'll gain more valley and a little more let off.
Well, that is a deal breaker for sure. I could deal with cams + cables, but if I've got to change limbs as well, I'd be better off getting new bow. No sense in that. The increase let-off would have been nice, but what I was really looking for is a we bit more DL, so at this point, I think I'll try to hunt down a set #4 Spiral X's. Going that route, I can continue to use the current cables/string.

Thanks for all the help, guys.

·
Registered
268 Posts
This thread has put my mind to rest. Yesterday I placed my order for the Podium X Elite 37# with Spiral Pro. Initially I was opting for a 40" bow with GTX cams. But having shot the 37 with the somewhat aggressive Spirals I noticed more accuracy. I can't explain it - may be it was forcing me to be more consistent with my release. So I ordered what I had shot that day. OK... I then spent the night thinking may be I should change back to 40" and GTX cams - but I didn't. Is there anyone on this forum that had shot both cams and prefers GTX? Is anyone shooting a 40"???

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm shooting a 40 if it ever comes in.What is your draw length?
29" DL. I am 6-0 tall, 170lbs. The cam module on the 40# for the Spiral Pro cam is 29"-30" so I would rather have more length at my disposal should I need it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I just changed to 40" - kept the spirals. Done.

·
Registered
10,738 Posts
I went with a 40 as well with Spirals - my true dl is a touch over 29.5

So with Hoyt running a little long I went with the 29. My string builder has some tricks to smooth out the aggressiveness some and gain a little valley and the little more DL I need.

However I don't see it showing up any time soon....I was told 12 weeks - this is killing me.

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the Spirals myself. They are pretty aggressive and I shoot a bit of a soft shot. GTX is a good smooth cam and works good for me. Easier to sell when it come that time also.

·
Registered
10,738 Posts
centershot - If you get a chance to shoot a spiral for some time and can get some strings spun up....Im telling you my spirals are butter smooth with a good valley. Of course I gave up a little bit of speed but not concerned.

I was a little hesitant on the spirals until my buddy spun up these threads for me, I was blown away.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I went with a 40 as well with Spirals - my true dl is a touch over 29.5

So with Hoyt running a little long I went with the 29. My string builder has some tricks to smooth out the aggressiveness some and gain a little valley and the little more DL I need.

However I don't see it showing up any time soon....I was told 12 weeks - this is killing me.
I was advised 4-5 weeks by Alex the rep. Probably because I went for Black Out. as the color.

·
Registered
268 Posts
centershot - If you get a chance to shoot a spiral for some time and can get some strings spun up....Im telling you my spirals are butter smooth with a good valley. Of course I gave up a little bit of speed but not concerned.

I was a little hesitant on the spirals until my buddy spun up these threads for me, I was blown away.
You need to tell me more about these strings... Like centershot I was very hesitant. Initially I was going for 40" with GTX. But I tried the 37 with spirals (that is what the rep brought with him) - totally different to what I was used,to, struggled initially but was impressed with the results. So I placed the order for 37 and Spirals.... Then changed to 40" and kept the spirals. Gah.... time will tell :)

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
When you extend the valley out on the spirals you get a little less poundage on initial draw of the bow. This takes some of the "harshness" out people speak of. It also has a higher let off this way with more valley, because you are rotating the cams more, so this will allow you to have the feel at full draw of a little more cushion and space.

So that's why you hear a lot of people going for the cam one size down from their actual draw length. They are doing that to extend things out some and get a different feel.

I do right the opposite. I get the cam that matches the actual draw length I'll shoot, then bring the draw length down just a touch from how the spirals normally run. This lowers let off and lets me hold more weight at full draw. But, this gives me the weight I have found that I like to hold at full draw to give me the best results.

The spirals have a firmer back wall. They use a metal draw stop on the top cam, and a very thin rubber draw stop on the bottom cam.

The gtx cams use the rubber stops on both cams and you get a little more give at full draw on the back wall.

Something to think about as well when you are choosing. Depending on what you like in feel and for your shot.

·
Registered
10,738 Posts
Obviously RCR knows his stuff.

I normally shoot about 29.625 dl - since most hoyt cams run about .375 long I went with 29 inch cams.

What we did on my VE+

with the 29 cams he built me cables with only 19 strands, and made the string a half inch long - it is really smooth but short on DW a few pounds. Which is OK for indoor, but its slow with my 3D arrows. It has a little more valley and let off. I was coming from a Binary cam with 80% let off which I had done some work too.

My fear was I wanted to be able to transition to the Spirals slowly and build up to a bit more holding weight, with the adjustable draw stops, I can adjust every few weeks and get it where I need to be and then I could always throw another string on it, and twist up the cables to make up the DL difference that I need.

Again what this allowed me to do was have a much smoother and more forgiving valley in the transition - it may NOT equate to best scores, and I had to spend considerable time creep tuning. This weekend I will have a ton of time to play with it and see exactly what it is drawing and holding. I haven't really had a whole lot of time.

I will share results.

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
It may not produce the best groups for you in the long run, BUT I bet for right now it does. When I first shot a spiral cam I had been shooting higher let off RKT cams and I was really shocked at the difference on feel. They actually took a lot of my effort and concentration to draw and hold with the cams at first because of the difference. They are a truly different breed of cams.

So for what you are doing and having such a good string builder, I think you're on a good track and will see good results and help you adapt to the spirals easier.

You hit the nail on the head though with saying you had to spend more time creep tuning. That's one of the major advantages of the Spirals. You have the shorter valley and the design of the cam, with the more rounded lobe, you are forced to hold against or very close to against the wall at all times. So it makes creep tuning easier and more effective.

With that said though, it also takes consistent shooting to enjoy the spirals and get the best benefits from them. When I go a week without shooting I can already feel a difference and my scores do too.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts