Archery Talk Forum banner

Spirals on XT1000 limbs???????

888 Views 18 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  john09040
Has anyone tried it how dit it work out? I am thinking of setting a Hoyt 737 up with Spirals but im not sure if it would be worth it. I have had C2 cams on it and liked them pretty well. Hoyt says it wouldnt work well with the short limbs but I know someone on here has tried it and im wondering how the draw cycle felt.:darkbeer:
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have tried a set of C2s on my 737 and I like the way the draw cycle felt it just raised my poundage 10lbs but I have a new set of limbs coming to correct the poundage. I like the back wall on the spirals though.:)

· Banned
3,222 Posts
spirals are even worse, thats why they came out with the C2. going from cam1/2 plus to c2's will increase your poundage about 10 #.same thing with original cam 1/2 to spirals. the same model bow with same poundage draw equipped with c2's and one with cam 1/2,the deflection of the limbs is less on the c2.

· Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So what you're saying is that spirals will raise the poundage even more than the C2 cams did. If so how much am I going to need another set of limbs ? This experimenting is getting costly. :)

· Registered
2,919 Posts
. . . . going from cam1/2 plus to c2's will increase your poundage about 10 #.same thing with original cam 1/2 to spirals . . . .
I don't think that is accurate -- I'm pretty sure the draw weight generally goes down when switching from the old Cam-1/2 to Spirals . . .

I know for sure it did when I did that on an Ultratec XT-3000, 70-pound bow with original Cam-1/2 peaks at about 67 with Spirals (I also increased the draw length at the same time; I'm pretty sure at the same draw length the draw weight decrease is bigger)

So back to the original question -- X7 with XT-1000's and Spirals -- how did it work out for speed?

· Registered
6,320 Posts
I don't think that is accurate -- I'm pretty sure the draw weight generally goes down when switching from the old Cam-1/2 to Spirals . . .

I know for sure it did when I did that on an Ultratec XT-3000, 70-pound bow with original Cam-1/2 peaks at about 67 with Spirals (I also increased the draw length at the same time; I'm pretty sure at the same draw length the draw weight decrease is bigger)

So back to the original question -- X7 with XT-1000's and Spirals -- how did it work out for speed?
I will second that. Going from cam.5 to spiral or C2 is a decrease in poundage not an increase.

· Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

You are correct I made the change from cam.5 to Spirals on a Ultra Elite and it reduced the poundage by a few pounds. I am now wondering about going from C2s to Spirals what will it do?

· Banned
3,222 Posts
your right, I got it backwards 60-70# limbs with standard cam1/2 will be about 50-60 lb limbs if cams are switched to spirals.

· Urban Archery
3,813 Posts
I did a Vantage X7 with Spiral conversion recently. After doing it and testing it decided it really wasn't worth it, I think I got about 7fps and I prefer the feel of the Cam 1/2 Plus anyway.
I did a full report on it at ArcheryLive.com including how I worked out the string lengths.

Attachments

· Banned
3,222 Posts
dude the spirals are gonna be even worse,Im tellin ya. Thats why they came out with the C2,almost all the speed of the spiral with less harshness.

· Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
dude the spirals are gonna be even worse,Im tellin ya. Thats why they came out with the C2,almost all the speed of the spiral with less harshness.
I have owned a Ultra Elite with Spirals I liked it pretty well for a target bow. I am leaving the cam.5+ on for hunting season and then I will try the Spirals out. I was just curious how they performed on the XT-1000 limbs. I prefer Spirals over the old cam.5. My last bow was a X-Force so harsh isnt a issue. I shoot very hard back tension and usually build draw stops on all my bows for a rock solid wall. I am shooting #70 now but I will shoot #60 with the Spirals. I have spoke with Dan Macarthy several times and he said he didnt know how it would turn out on a 1000 limb but its the way to go for speed in a short DL.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.