Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any difference between the standard spitfire and the spitfire crossbow broadheads? Do they use the same replacement blades.

·
Registered
11,775 Posts
yep, crossbow is 1 1/4 cut and 170 grns. and a little beefier
regular is 1 1/2 cut and 100 & 125 grns. .... and I don't think the blades interchange....

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I called NAP and asked because this question had been posted before. The folks there told me the 100 grainers are exactly the same head. They said some customers were having confusion about whether the spitfire 100 grainers were meant for crossbows or not. SO, they labeled some as "crossbow" to help. They are EXACTLY the same head whether they carry the "crossbow" label or not.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I called NAP and asked because this question had been posted before. The folks there told me the 100 grainers are exactly the same head. They said some customers were having confusion about whether the spitfire 100 grainers were meant for crossbows or not. SO, they labeled some as "crossbow" to help. They are EXACTLY the same head whether they carry the "crossbow" label or not.
Thanks Tom. At some places they are even priced differently than the standard heads.

·
Registered
11,775 Posts
Tom is correct,,,the 100 grn. is the same head.. ( I'll be using em !! ) as Bass pro shops page is not correct, as you will see often on web pages ,
the NAP "crossbow" spitfire is as described before as 170 grn and 1 1/4 cut

·
Registered
23 Posts
jmak

For what it's worth if you're shopping for your first Spitfires.....

Just sighted in my new TenPoint XLT Turbo with 20" Gold Tip Laser II arrows with brass inserts, Firenocks and the standard 100 grain Spitfires. I sacrificed a set of blades and didn't use "practice" blades. Total arrow weight is 410 grains. After zeroing at 30 yards I shot at 40, 50 and 20 yards. The arrows hit or touched (same to me) the EXACT same hole in the target. Every shot at every distance.

Good luck and I hope you get the same results!

·
Registered
18,519 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
If your looking to buy. I really like the Spitfire Maxx.
I prefer the Spitfire Edge. The trophy tip has proven itself again and again. It is nearly indestructible. Small coc points like on the Maxx have a tendency to curl over when hitting something solid, like bone. I won't say that happens with Spitfires because I've never seen it. I'd just rather not take the chance. My results with the Spitfire Edge have been nothing less than outstanding. Good luck.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have been using them out of my compound bow for about five years and they hit in the same spot as my field points. I don't even bother to use the practice blades any more. I am hoping for the same results out of my xbow.

jmak

For what it's worth if you're shopping for your first Spitfires.....

Just sighted in my new TenPoint XLT Turbo with 20" Gold Tip Laser II arrows with brass inserts, Firenocks and the standard 100 grain Spitfires. I sacrificed a set of blades and didn't use "practice" blades. Total arrow weight is 410 grains. After zeroing at 30 yards I shot at 40, 50 and 20 yards. The arrows hit or touched (same to me) the EXACT same hole in the target. Every shot at every distance.

Good luck and I hope you get the same results!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts