Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well at the request of a few AT users I put the 3 blade and 2 blade SpitFires against the Cleveland PhoneBook. All the testing conditions were the same as the Sonics and G5 Strikers vs Cleveland PhoneBook
That thread is here
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=379363

Arrow weight 378 grains
Arrow speed 278 fps
Distance 25 yards slightly elevated shooting position
100 grain 3 blade and 2 blade SpitFires unshot. These are the heads with the chisel point.

Unfortunately NEITHER the 2 blade or 3 blade passed through the phonebook. The 2 blade did rip a small hole in the back cover, but neither point protruded out the back. Interesting results though.
First up the 3 blade
The entry hole was a little strange. It entered like a field point with only 1 blade showing any signs of opening/cutting.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The front of the blades made it to the "G" section and all blades were open by this point.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought if the 3 blade didn't make it, the 2 blade probably stood a better chance. 2 blades just penetrate better. Well it did make it farther, but still did not get through the book. It did make a small rip in the back cover shown here.

And here is the point with the leading edges of the blades peeking through

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2 blade entry hole

Here is the entry hole of the 2 blade...something seems wrong again. It looks like only 1 blade opened upon impact...sorry this pic was blurry and I didn't realize it until I downloaded it to my computer...my apologies.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very Interesting

Keep in mind all the blades were tested to see if they opened and closed properly before they were shot. These heads were NIP. The 2 blades aren't made anymore as far as I know, but I still had 2 left from a pack. When I checked to see how far the head made it, I found this:eek:

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There you have it. Take it for what it is worth, but you won't see me using these heads anytime soon. I do know they now have a cut-on-contact blade with the Spitfires available, so if you use these I would HIGHLY recommend getting the model with the cut-on-contact head and not the chisel point. Also if you are not pushing much K.E. (This set up=64.88 ft lbs), and want to shoot SpitFires...I definitely suggest the one with the cut-on-contact head.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
huntnhammer said:
I have never seen a two blade Spitfire, did not know they made them.
I don't believe they make them anymore, but I got a pack a while back and only shot 1 of the heads out of it.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
The 3 blade 100 grain heads worked great on all 4 deer I killed with them..

All pass thrus and the furthest track job was 34 yards..

But thanks for your test anyway.....:)

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TreeJumper said:
The 3 blade 100 grain heads worked great on all 4 deer I killed with them..

All pass thrus and the furthest track job was 34 yards..

But thanks for your test anyway.....:)
TreeJumper...not saying these heads don't kill deer, just saying they didn't go through a phone book:wink: Actually just last year I shot 3 deer with them, but didn't get much of an entry hole at all. I recovered all 3 and the shots were double lung punches, but the lack of an entry hole caused me to scratch my head and get very little blood to follow. The exit holes were huge, but the entry holes just didn't cut it for me, so this is why I switched heads. I gave them a try, because a lot of people like them. I will see if I can dig up those pictures of the entry/exit holes on last year's buck.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Use the Silverflame I will bet you a cold :darkbeer: that little somebich will blow right thru!Then you can send it to Jerry to resharpen it.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I liked the old style Spitfires, when they first came out that had the retainer ring, I had good luck with them, I'm not real convinced with the new system. I like the ShockWaves and Jak-Hammers much better than I ever did the Spitfires though.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Riverghost said:
Use the Silverflame I will bet you a cold :darkbeer: that little somebich will blow right thru!Then you can send it to Jerry to resharpen it.
RG you are on. I don't have the 100 grain SF, just the 180...so maybe I'll turn the poundage down and try to get the same K.E. I also want to see how the ThunderHeads do....although ThunderHead shooters are like Harley riders:wink:

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Doc said:
TreeJumper...not saying these heads don't kill deer, just saying they didn't go through a phone book:wink: Actually just last year I shot 3 deer with them, but didn't get much of an entry hole at all. I recovered all 3 and the shots were double lung punches, but the lack of an entry hole caused me to scratch my head and get very little blood to follow. The exit holes were huge, but the entry holes just didn't cut it for me, so this is why I switched heads. I gave them a try, because a lot of people like them. I will see if I can dig up those pictures of the entry/exit holes on last year's buck.

I agree, like most mech. heads they don't give much of an entry hole.
But myself, I never worried about a huge entry hole because hunting from a stand my entries were usually high and did'nt get much blood from any head I used,muzzy, thunderheads etc..
A pass thru is the best bet anytime and with saying that I switched heads this year to 125 steelheads to get the best penetration out of my setup and still stay with a big wound channel:) ..
I got pass thrus on all the deer I killed with the spitfire, but I dropped my poundage down a little this year and went to a 125 gr. head and I like those steelheads..:wink:

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
Doc said:
There you have it. Take it for what it is worth, but you won't see me using these heads anytime soon. I do know they now have a cut-on-contact blade with the Spitfires available, so if you use these I would HIGHLY recommend getting the model with the cut-on-contact head and not the chisel point. Also if you are not pushing much K.E. (This set up=64.88 ft lbs), and want to shoot SpitFires...I definitely suggest the one with the cut-on-contact head.

Well damn....that is kind of shocking....just kind of though. :wink: All I know is that they put the hurtin on a deer. But I am glad you tried it so I didn't have to dull a head. LOL Like you said they don't leave much of a hole but then again neither do many of the new fixed blade heads with a 1-1 1/8" cut diameter. But they sure do (as you already stated) leave one heck of an exit wound.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Brown Hornet said:
Well damn....that is kind of shocking....just kind of though. :wink: All I know is that they put the hurtin on a deer. But I am glad you tried it so I didn't have to dull a head. LOL Like you said they don't leave much of a hole but then again neither do many of the new fixed blade heads with a 1-1 1/8" cut diameter. But they sure do (as you already stated) leave one heck of an exit wound.
I think I found the pictures to last year's buck. I'll scan them and show you the holes I was talking about. I figured I would take one for the team and use a couple of my heads, so you didn't have to ruin yours:wink:

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Just what in the he!! are you going to shoot 180g silverflame at in Ohio I know you have some big deer but man.:eek:

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Riverghost said:
Just what in the he!! are you going to shoot 180g silverflame at in Ohio I know you have some big deer but man.:eek:
I have my reasons:wink:

Attachments

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
Doc said:
I have my reasons:wink:

Man just throw one of those thick Cleveland phone books at em'.....if you hit him in the head you can walk up to him and cut his throat.:wink:

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Good enough reason for me :cocktail:

1 - 20 of 64 Posts