Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing up some arrows for my new 'curve coming soon so i'm looking to maybe splice some feathers together to make them look AWESOME!! anyone have a tutorial on how to do this or a link to somewhere? I would greatly appreciate it!!

Thanks,
Coty

·
Registered
257 Posts
Splice

Splicing Colors - Pick your favorite colors, as many as you like, using feathers of the same wing. Prepare your arrow shaft by scuffing the fletching area with fine grit sandpaper or steel wool. Clean this same area using a solvent recommended by the manufacturer, keeping in mind rubbing alcohol always works. Prime this area if you are using fast set gel glues. Decide how far down the arrow from the nock end you will place your feathers. Place a mark on the clamp at this point. Also, mark the clamp where the feather base will be cut. Always insert your feather on the same mark and make all cuts on the same marks. Place your feather in the clamp and cut the base completely through with an exacto knife. Repeat the process on the alternate color feather. Remove the alternate feather. In your hand, hold the pieces you wish to join. Upon putting them together, notice how the feather attaches itself and attempts to "heal" itself. Place the loosely joined pieces into your clamp and glue to the shaft. When you have finished this arrow and are dabbing a drop of glue on the ends of each feather, place a small dab along the base where you made the cuts. Even any height differences with a scissors cutting from the nock end down.
hope this helps

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a bunch!!

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot!! that was definately what i was looking for!!

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
do not use rubbing alcohol, it has oil in it, and you may have adhesion problems. Use Isopropol 95%, may need to go to drug store to find...I prefer Lacquer thinner!

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Well if you want simple.. Take two feather of the same color, hold them side by side base against a surface you don't mind cutting into. Using a razor slide it into the feather where you want the cut and cut the two feather where you want. Then just exchange halves and put it in a clamp and glue it on your arrow.. Randy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts