Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am attempting at building my first longbow. I followed a build along through www.poorfolksbows.com. The build along called for a red oak bow with a sheetrock tape and glue backing. I decided to try a hickory backing. I ripped the hickory to less than an 1/8 but slightly larger than a 1/16. I applied it using Titebond III. When I was at 27" with full brace, I splintered the backing along the right side. I tried to repair the area as best as possible and restarted my tilllering. Everything was going good until I hit 25" at full brace and splintered the backing again. Any ideas what I am doing wrong that I keep splintering the hickory. This is causing me to have extreme hinges and I fear that my draw weight is about to a minimal. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I thought about just running an epoxy along the entire back and starting my tillering again. Good idea? Thanks.

· Registered
30 Posts
Have you checked out the Bowyers Bibles? I've not looked at them for a while, but is seems that they have a good trouble-shooting section. you may be able to find them on line...or even at the public library...good luck!:beer:

· Registered
1,321 Posts

· Waiting for opening day
2,339 Posts
You don't need to use that ugly sheetrock tape. I backed mine with cotton fabric from an old bed sheet.

· Registered
1,321 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.