Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve alway shot split finger but wanted to try 3 under. So far it’s seems to give a more consistent point of impact and a clearer sight picture. I did lose some distance along with getting use to hitting the same anchor point.
My questions are for coaches and guys that shot both.
I shot reasonable well 3D with split finger am I correct in assuming that 3 under is more consistent?
Would the change be worth the effort?
How do I correct the slight difficulty in hitting exactly the same anchor point? The feel of a solids tab is very different, with split finger I never had that problem.
I don’t see any need to string walk but wonder if face walking is something to consider should I want to shoot beyond the usual 3D distances?
PM if you rather not post publicly.
Thanks
Nick

·
Registered
653 Posts
One amateur opinion: its tough finding a comfortable tab. I personally like my split (Angel) tab , it just feels best to me even 3 under.
I suppose anchor points are different too, i use a spot higher on my cheek for closer (15-30) shots, and drop down to my old split anchor for longer 40+
I raised my nock roughly 1/8 for 3 under, which seems to help get the arrow off the shelf cleaner
Take all of this with a grain of salt, its an ever evolving process for me

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,250 Posts
The biggest difference is a decrease in your point-on distance. I lost 20 meters with my FITA target bow and somewhere around 15 yards with my other bows.

I shot both split and three under when I was shooting FITA target but I did not go to three under until I got down to 50 meters (55 yards). So the only shots I took split were way beyond trad distances.

Three under is easier to learn and to execute since it removes finger pinch and torque from the picture. What I find is that I am best at what I practice the most.

Whether three under is more consistent depends on how well you shoot split. Olympic style archers are pretty consistent and shoot split. But then, they invest a lot of effort in form work.

When I was shooting FITA target I shot about 25,000 shots a year at 70 meters using split. I practiced three under much less and also had my bows tuned to split.

Now I rarely shoot split since I only need it a for a few shots per round. As such, I am more comfortable with three under.

Put the time into three under and you will like it. Don't invest the time and you will never get as comfortable with it as you currently are with split.

·
Registered
474 Posts
The biggest difference is under gets the arrow closer to the eye. This might mess up your point on for long range but inside 30 yards it makes it easier. Its particularly nice if you tend towards semi-instictive style shooting.

The second biggest difference is that it can help your release by removing finger pinch. That said I think a a sharp string angle can mess up your release with either style.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I tried both and am going to stick with split finger. I enjoy the instinctive style of shooting even though it is hard to achieve consistency and is not a style that will lead to consistent good scores.

If you are looking for maximum accuracy under 30 yards or so, then 3 under is the way to go. It works even better with a high anchor and/or string walking. The goal is to get the arrow tip pointing close to the point of impact. There is no doubt. It might take some practice and experimentation but using the arrow tip as a sight is way more consistent and accurate than relying on subconscious/instinctive aiming. Personally I think it is just a silly game. If I wanted to aim with a sight, I would put a sight on the bow rather than try to fudge in order to comply with competitive barebow rules. But that is just me and being too old to worry about any serious competition.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Second amateur opinion:

Is 3 under is more consistent? I shoot both methods, three under is not any more consistent for me. My release is the weak link.

Would the change be worth the effort? You can shoot both ways and use three under as another tool. I use it to reduce the trajectory for closer shots, say under 40 yards.

How do I correct the slight difficulty in hitting exactly the same anchor point? The feel of a solids tab is very different, with split finger I never had that problem. I did not encounter this issue. Maybe looking into trimming the tab for your hand length will help.

I don’t see any need to string walk but wonder if face walking is something to consider should I want to shoot beyond the usual 3D distances? I enjoy face walking for longer shots. It is repeatable. I'll estimate the range, anchor to the corner of my mouth, then drop down to the face hold and loose. Ohh, to see a shaft high in flight and watch it drop down to the target. There my heart lies, the arch in archery.

Happy Shooting.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,176 Posts
Split v 3 under
Consistency really has nothing to do with it

There is a reason almost all great bare bow shooters shoot 3 under; it gets the arrow closer to your eye as mentioned. [shooting with a sight- then split works well]

Split is typically a little quieter than 3 under

I like 3 under as I can set up for a small gap at bowhunting distances.....even though I don't shoot a hard gap aiming system.

______

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I've done both but like split finger better, quieter bow and I have a high anchor so the sight picture does not differ from 3 under. I do lose string walking. I think you have to learn to shot whatever you feel best with and learn to make that as consistent as possible.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
It's an aiming technique and not a negotiable one if you want to be as accurate as possible.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I like the way split feels more. I like the way it sounds more. I like how split gives me just a little more velocity too. But inside of 30 yards (99.9% of my shots) I shoot three under better, so I have only been shooting three under this season. I shot split finger instinct almost the entirety of me doing archery, about 16 years. This is the first season I switched to three under and I have improved as an archer. It's easier to know why I'm doing good, it's easier to know why I'm doing bad. When I was shooting instinct I could have amazing days, but I didn't know why. I could have bad days, but I didn't know why. Some days were in between and I made feather touching groups, but not on the bullseye. That's why I feel pure instinctive archery has more limitations overall. Since your subconscious is doing such a large percentage of the work, it's harder to determine what is making anything happen.
When shooting "instinct" on some small level I was using the arrow for sighting reference and just didn't know it. But it's only in your peripheral view, you're not consciously using it like with three under. But I bet if you switch to three under for a bunch of groups and switch back to split you'll find you're going to shoot way too high. That's how it occurred to me that maybe I wasn't shooting pure instinct all along. Just a lot closer to instinct.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The biggest difference is a decrease in your point-on distance. I lost 20 meters with my FITA target bow and somewhere around 15 yards with my other bows.

I shot both split and three under when I was shooting FITA target but I did not go to three under until I got down to 50 meters (55 yards). So the only shots I took split were way beyond trad distances.

Three under is easier to learn and to execute since it removes finger pinch and torque from the picture. What I find is that I am best at what I practice the most.

Whether three under is more consistent depends on how well you shoot split. Olympic style archers are pretty consistent and shoot split. But then, they invest a lot of effort in form work.

When I was shooting FITA target I shot about 25,000 shots a year at 70 meters using split. I practiced three under much less and also had my bows tuned to split.

Now I rarely shoot split since I only need it a for a few shots per round. As such, I am more comfortable with three under.

Put the time into three under and you will like it. Don't invest the time and you will never get as comfortable with it as you currently are with split.
I saw a better result the first time I used it for 3D. Just not sure about making the change a permanent one.
Thanks
Nick

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tried both and am going to stick with split finger. I enjoy the instinctive style of shooting even though it is hard to achieve consistency and is not a style that will lead to consistent good scores.

If you are looking for maximum accuracy under 30 yards or so, then 3 under is the way to go. It works even better with a high anchor and/or string walking. The goal is to get the arrow tip pointing close to the point of impact. There is no doubt. It might take some practice and experimentation but using the arrow tip as a sight is way more consistent and accurate than relying on subconscious/instinctive aiming. Personally I think it is just a silly game. If I wanted to aim with a sight, I would put a sight on the bow rather than try to fudge in order to comply with competitive barebow rules. But that is just me and being too old to worry about any serious competition.
You were to old when you were still young!
:wink:
Come out and play, we're out again. Mask & social distancing required.
Nick

·
Registered
648 Posts
I shoot split finger + under the chin anchor, because I shoot mostly long distance targets (using the arrow tip for aiming). Though I find 3 under + high anchor easier for aiming at 20 yards and closer, I've been practicing to shoot the split finger style for all distances.

The consistent style will come handy whenever I get to compete under instinctive class where no face walking is allowed. I also hate getting hit by the string on the nose. 😉

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've done both but like split finger better, quieter bow and I have a high anchor so the sight picture does not differ from 3 under. I do lose string walking. I think you have to learn to shot whatever you feel best with and learn to make that as consistent as possible.
I like split better also. 3 under seems more consistent & that's the point of trying it. The proof is always in the shooting.
Nick

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I started split as was mostly the rules in the classes I shot in. I moved countries with no such parameters, switched and did not look back.

Sight picture and release - lack of finger pinch is way more manageable, and better.

I don't vary my shooting up that much, barring the odd longbow/wood arrow shoot and hunting season, its all about WA3D "instinctive" competition and that rulebook so that dictates my choices. So that, any distances I find myself shooting at any point in my shooting, 3under.

I know rules in some cases dictate shooting split, can't do much about that, but for anything else - likely 3D distance and ethical hunting shot range and accuracy is your thing then for me its an easy argument.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update:
I hope this doesn’t sound like a soap opera my intention is only to share.
A backyard session was productive. I found a consistent and repeatable anchor point. After a few dozen shots I realized more tab trimming was needed. My point on from split finger to 3 under is substantially less but until I get to my club, walk back, bare shaft and check the results, I’m really not sure if that’s going to be carved in stone.
This is only day 3 and so far I’m liking it better. Keeping in mind that I no longer hunt and mostly only shoot 3D yardages, after some more testing and tuning I’ll do a scoring round to compare with my old club scores. As always the proof is in the shooting anything else is either wishful thinking or BS.

Nick

1 - 20 of 41 Posts