Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to split the bus cable on my bow without a bowpress ? I am trying to install a trophy ridge revelution rest, I don't own a bowpress and I don't want to take it to a pro shop where they will keep my bow for a week before they get to it.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
drop away.jpg You don't need to split the cable to install the cord. Tie some serving to the cable and then tie the drop cord below that in a half hitch, same way you would tie a D loop.

·
Banned
96 Posts
I bought a string splitter off ebay for 5 dollars,it bis effective and if you do it carefully you will not damage the cable or string.You do not need a press.Google string splitter.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
View attachment 1627401 You don't need to split the cable to install the cord. Tie some serving to the cable and then tie the drop cord below that in a half hitch, same way you would tie a D loop.
I like that idea, does it ever slip enough to interfere with the rest' timing ?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I like that idea, does it ever slip enough to interfere with the rest' timing ?
If you tie the serving in nice and tight, it won't slip at all. I've done it this way for a few years with no issues.
Why spilt the cables if you don't have to?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Another reason to tie in your drop away the way Thunderbolt showed, is that if you ever need to add/remove a twist from the buss cable, you won't have to remove the drop away cord then re-time your rest.

Stay away from string splitters, unless you absolutely have no alternative. They work fine if the cable is de-tensioned, but will all too easily sever or spider web a string strand.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did it earlier this afternoon but I couldn't get the serving tight enough not to slip. This was my first time tying serving, is there a way to get it tight enough without a serving jig ?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I did it earlier this afternoon but I couldn't get the serving tight enough not to slip. This was my first time tying serving, is there a way to get it tight enough without a serving jig ?
Use a long piece of serving or nock tying material and do a series of half knots. Alternating knots front, back, front, back . . . At each knot pull tight. I do about 5 or 6 knots, then make a second layer of knots in the opposite direction (I start working up, then back down creating a second layer), and finish with a partial third layer with a Square Knot. Cut tag ends and burn.

Two to three layers will provide enough of a "ledge" that will prevent cow hitch knot (D-Loop knot) from riding up the cable under tension.

·
Alien Mafia Member
3,765 Posts
I bought a string splitter off ebay for 5 dollars,it bis effective and if you do it carefully you will not damage the cable or string.You do not need a press.Google string splitter.
No matter how careful you are, it is still an accident waiting to happen.
These things can and will damage strings/cables when inserted with the said strings/cables under tension.
Much better to invest in a portable press.

Kev

·
Registered
20,642 Posts
No matter how careful you are, it is still an accident waiting to happen.
These things can and will damage strings/cables when inserted with the said strings/cables under tension.
Much better to invest in a portable press.

Kev
x10 I've seen cut strings and cables come in from people "very carefully" using a string splitter without a press. Not a good deal.

·
Registered
580 Posts
i would get a portable press at the very least. By adding it to the down cable, you will most likely have to untwist cable a half to a full twist anyways. Good luck

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
foot ball

1 - 14 of 14 Posts