Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son shot well (3rd closely trailing the state #3) at a local "unofficial" shoot yesterday and has now been bitten by the competitive bug.

Wanting to get information on how sponsorship is obtained.

Do we go out and look for it or are there folks looking for archers to sponsor?

Any and all help/advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,
dlb

·
Registered
621 Posts
the first step would be to get to some National Official shoots and make an impression. It is hard for young kids to get alot of sponsership. From the companies perspective the reason to sponser shooters is to sell more product. Young kids dont sell alot of products to the adults who buy them. You should focus on having fun and learning to shoot properly and worry about the sponsorships down the line. If they want you they will find you
jon

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
My son is only 9 and we aren't worrying about sponsors even though he is the top cub shooter in the state. Let's face it, though, what does that mean? How many kids actually compete? In our case very few indoors, and none outdoors.

The retention of good youth shooters who become good adult shooters is terrible. There have been hundreds, if not thousands of great youth shooters that put down the bow for other interests...that's just what kids do. The other side is the fact that archery is such a mental sport that the added pressure of sponsorship, and dad reminding them that they have to perform for the sponsor, ruins the kid on archery.

Now, if the kid is really good and you have a favorite local shop that you are loyal to, it doesn't hurt to ask them for some assistance. Have an open conversation with that shop and ask what it takes to be a shop shooter. Some shops jump at the chance to help out kids.

Good luck. Once your son becomes a top contender people will recognize it and the rewards will start to come.

·
Registered
24,470 Posts
im glad to hear you child is now bitten by the competitive archery bug....its a great hobby/sport....

however, what if your child would have been bitten by the competitive soccer, golf, little league, judo, karate, hockey, basketball bug.....would you support your son than????? because most of those sports are filled with nothing but amatuers who compete and play for the love of the game....and most have to have parents that pay and enable them to compete.....

but like you....i see all sorts of folks wearing patches and shirts to imply they are the next coming......

if you are indeed enjoying your sons growth in archery....i wouldnt ruin him by trying to rush him into the iron on and name game.....let him compete and enjoy all the great things the competitions will offer to him.....and if you want him to be sponsored by company's.....teach him the things that draw people to other people and want to be around and in such company.....and sooner than later, your son will grow into the great archer you and I will enjoy being around....no matter what his scores are.....

keep us posted on his progress..... :thumbs_up

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let me clarify!

When I said that my 13 y/o son had been bitten by the competitive bug, I guess I should have clarified that he has been shooting a bow for two years and hunted deer with me last year. He's not all that new to archery, just new to the competitive sport.

however, what if your child would have been bitten by the competitive soccer, golf, little league, judo, karate, hockey, basketball bug.....would you support your son than????? because most of those sports are filled with nothing but amatuers who compete and play for the love of the game....and most have to have parents that pay and enable them to compete.....
I have and do support him and my daughter in what ever they decide to do his interest are my interest (quality time). He saw the other kids with their patches\shirts and asked the question which brings us to the present.

if you are indeed enjoying your sons growth in archery....i wouldnt ruin him by trying to rush him into the iron on and name game.....let him compete and enjoy all the great things the competitions will offer to him.....and if you want him to be sponsored by company's.....teach him the things that draw people to other people and want to be around and in such company.....and sooner than later, your son will grow into the great archer you and I will enjoy being around....no matter what his scores are.....
I really do enjoy watching my (and other) children compete, and excel, as for me ruining him I appreciate the good advice, its always welcomed. I try not to rush the kids into doing anything (except cleaning there rooms) :wink:

Now, if the kid is really good and you have a favorite local shop that you are loyal to, it doesn't hurt to ask them for some assistance. Have an open conversation with that shop and ask what it takes to be a shop shooter. Some shops jump at the chance to help out kids.
I think this is the avenue I'll take, I've got to get his new bow setup anyway. Think I'll ask and see if the shop league has a slot.

Thanks for the help/advice.

Semper Fi :shade:

·
Registered
24,470 Posts
SemperShooting said:
When I said that my 13 y/o son had been bitten by the competitive bug, I guess I should have clarified that he has been shooting a bow for two years and hunted deer with me last year. He's not all that new to archery, just new to the competitive sport.

I have and do support him and my daughter in what ever they decide to do his interest are my interest (quality time). He saw the other kids with their patches\shirts and asked the question which brings us to the present.

I really do enjoy watching my (and other) children compete, and excel, as for me ruining him I appreciate the good advice, its always welcomed. I try not to rush the kids into doing anything (except cleaning there rooms) :wink:

I think this is the avenue I'll take, I've got to get his new bow setup anyway. Think I'll ask and see if the shop league has a slot.

Thanks for the help/advice.

Semper Fi :shade:
sounds like you and your family got it going on.....and i know what you mean....when you go to a competitive archery tourney...it almost appears that everyone around you is sponsored to some degree except you....kinda makes us all figure we are worth something......however, dont let all the patches and shirts fool you....many are merely given to the people and they proudly wear them just like someone else wearing a nike hat or jersey....

i really feel that your local pro shop is the best avenue to get someone so young started in the journey of competitive archery.....they can give you pointers and guidance to grow your son and daughter in archery......

looking forward to to hearing more about your children and their growth in archery....keep us posted.... :thumbs_up

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
Start him off in a local shop, shoot state tourneys, and work up to sectional and national.
Make sure you keep a list of all of his accomplishments..........trust me.....if you don't...it gets very difficult to remember everything when you make your resume...
Good luck!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts