Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an avid hunter, and die-hard 3D shooter. I have won the last 11 3D shoots that I have entered into the Bowhunter Class. I am seriously interested in requesting sponsorship from Bowtech. I shoot the Allegiance. I find that I am outshooting most of the sponsored shooters at these shoots.
Can anyone out there offer me advice on how to go about this process. I am sure its not easy, but I would like to try.
Thanks in advance,
Morris Lowery

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Try shootin the open class, you win that 11 times at national shoots and you will be able to pick what company you shoot for.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Start shooting the national shoots. ASA, IBO etc.....

Darrel

·
Premium Member
20,334 Posts
Manufacturers are looking for archers that are good ambassadors to the sport, and who are able to promote their product in a positive manner. Good shooting doesn't hurt either!

Good luck to you, and let us know how things turn out.

RK

·
Registered
776 Posts
If you are doing this on a local level start by talking with the shop you bought your bow at. Submit a resume to them and the nation company and go from there. A good share of sponcered shooters begin at the local level as a shop shooter or coop for a large bow company and go from there. Also if you are winning in the hunter class that consistly, time to move up and see how you compeate there. Make the trip and start shooting nationally in either hunter of what ever you move to.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Most companies that sponsor are looking for staff that can demonstrate an interest in growing the sport and can represent their products in an ethical manner as well as shooting well. In my case I look for archers who will spend the time to help others and who I consider will be good for the sport, naturally a high profile shooter who will promote my service is an advantage. As my service is different from most in that my product is the performance of my students many of my staff will be chosen from the archers I train others from those that just sound right. So when applying to a company send a shooter resume and point out what you can do for the company and their product and what you do for archery in general.
Regards
Peter Bourke
Archery Fix

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
An archery resume shouldn't focus on your shooting skill exclusively. You should point out what you have done to promote archery as a recreation, ie instruct youth, teach in the local pro shop, list offices held in archery organizations, etc. Until you show promise/success at a national level, potential sponsors are more interested in your support to archery and the products you wish to sponsor than your local shooting skills.

My personal resume which has been quite successful in attracting sponsorships has very limited commentary on my success as a competitive archer, but contains a strong listing of my activities in support of recreational archery and the archery industry.

I suggest you move up into the elite divisions, ie. semi-pro or pro release or fingers divisions and test your mettle there at the national level to find out how good you really are in competition with the best. At the same time, promote yourself at the local pro shop and to the sales reps that support that shop. This is where you will get your first step unless you find that you are one of the best nationally.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

I cant thank you guys enough. I truly appreciate all the responses and guidance. I now feel as though I have some direction atleast.
Im not quite sure what you mean by "move up" though. The local tournaments that I shot in AZ, and so far here in LA. dont have another option to move into. I shot 230 Extreme in AZ. If you shot 230 or higher 5 shoots in a row, they moved you there. The 2 shoots that I have done here in LA, are either Bowhunter Novice, or Bowhunter. I am shooting pins, release, less than 12in stabilizer, and 277FPS. I guess I am being very nieve on my success. I did look at the leader board after we shot yesterday, and I had a higher total than the Open class guys. I will try to test myself.
Are there any large or National shoots that are being held in the Southeast area over the next few months. I cant seem to find any. Thanks again guys, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sponsorship

Yes Sir....at Ft Polk. I'm guessing it has changed a bit since you were here. The hunting is supposed to be good (this being my first season), and the fishing is GREAT....
Thanks again for the info

1 - 10 of 10 Posts