Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to run to Sportsman's Warehouse today to checkout the Xpedition offering, and noticed several of them had scalloped cable guards. This can't be by design right? its razor thin, id imagine itd take next to nothing to snap it. Is this something SG does to display bows? Whats going on here?

· Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,321 Posts
It's a flexible cable guard.
I'm pretty sure that all bow manufacturers are using some sort of flexible cable guard today.

It lets the cables move closer to center at full draw, reducing cable guard torque.
But when the string nears brace, it moves the cables away from the string, allowing for the vanes to pass by.

· Registered
343 Posts
I have one on my Xpedition and it works. The edge is sharp though and I got a splinter in my fingertip doing an inspection. OUCH. I have seen pics of similar on some older PSE bows. At full draw it flexes and takes out some of the sideways pull and cam lean.

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have one on my Xpedition and it works. The edge is sharp though and I got a splinter in my fingertip doing an inspection. OUCH. I have seen pics of similar on some older PSE bows. At full draw it flexes and takes out some of the sideways pull and cam lean.
So sounds like it's by design. I thought Xpedition prided themselves on finish, so Im surprised to see it was so rough. Definitely not "finished".

· Registered
5,288 Posts
Looks to me like they're just trying to justify cutting cost on materials and padding their pockets... by saying ohhh this is better cause it "flexes". I can't see that lasting too long. Someone's gonna get hurt and they're gonna have a lawsuit on their hands. Also not very eye pleasing either, looks cheap. Would definitely turn me off Xpedition.

· Registered
3,454 Posts
Absolutely looks like they just took a carbon rod and ran it through a router.... I'm sure they wouldn't have put this type of setup on their bows without testing it extensively, but I sure as heck wouldn't shoot it. If you got a splinter in your finger just touching it, wait till your eyeball has a chance to shoot it!

· Just thwackin' it.
7,463 Posts
I only noticed it on the Mountaineer X. I shot a DLX a while and it didn't have the same. Nice bows, but since Scheels partnered with Xpedition, and they don't sell well in my area, my dealer is moving away from them.

With the Scheels partnership, the MAP dropped on them drastically and it kinda screwed margins on existing inventory with dealers.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

· Registered
28 Posts
Looks to me like they're just trying to justify cutting cost on materials and padding their pockets... by saying ohhh this is better cause it "flexes". I can't see that lasting too long. Someone's gonna get hurt and they're gonna have a lawsuit on their hands. Also not very eye pleasing either, looks cheap. Would definitely turn me off Xpedition.
No way that shape is cheaper to produce than a simple rod. Would love another manufacturing engineer to chime in though.

· Registered
55,468 Posts
They are strong and works excellent. Just because you have never seen one doesn't mean it is damaged. They are not the only ones to have done it.
Remember this is AT and there some people that think they know more than the people that designed these things, tested them and approved them to be used.

· Registered
343 Posts
I think that is exactly how they are made. I only wished the would smooth and polish the machined surfaces as a finishing step. After my finger sting incident I eased the edges with some very fine grit sandpaper. Hard/sharp corners are more susceptible to wear/damage than chamfered or rounded corners. BTW I bought my bow in March at months before the whole box store discounted business model was public.

Functionally they work fine and I shoot my Xpedition a lot.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.