Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone talks great about both companies. I am considering the spot-hog hogg it or an adjustable hha optimizer sight. I like that you can put a scope on the hha sight. It will be used for 3-d and hunting. Any input is great

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
You can also put a lens on the SpottHog. I prefer the SpottHog for fixed pins but the new Trophy Ridge Titan is a awesome adjustable sight might check it out too.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I personally would go (and have gone) with the HHA, based on one thing: pin brightness. I owned spot Hogg sights, and they just seemed too dull, even in good light. The HHA pins look like they are on fire. Both sights are extremely well built, so I wouldn't worry about durability with either one.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
one more

I have tried trophy ridge sights and am not impressed, how do people feel about the copper john deadnut pro III. can you put a lens on that sight? out of these three what do you think?

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
depends on 3D class

I use the spot hogg hogg it and shoot hunter or bowhunter and am looking to set up a bow to try a HHA but you would have to shoot in the open class with an adjustable sight like that!!!
I relly like the hogg its I have, guy says dull pins?!?! they seem pertty bright to me?!?!

·
Registered
11,073 Posts
I've owned both sights. I killed a bunch of deer with the HHA. But now I have a Hogg-it . . . :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

That sight rocks! My pro-shop didn't carry them before I got mine. They gave it a look-see when it came in. I was in there today and they had 5 in stock now.

I'm not knocking the Optimizer. It is a good sight too but I think the Hogg-it is way better. The pins are dim though but I'm going to replace the fibers with longer ones to solve that problem. Also, I found the HHA to be too dim without the light and the light on mine used to alarm deer.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I shoot a Spot Hogg for 3D. We don't shoot 3D at early dawn or at dusk, so the pins are plenty bright enough. Hunting is a different matter. I don't think there is enough fiber optic on the SH for really low-light hunting.
The problem with some of the sights that have lots of fiber optic is that they can be too bright in strong sunlight. Sometimes the pin is so bright, you can't see the target.
HHA does have a sight that has about five feet of fiber which would be great in really low-light conditions, but it also has a sort of rheostat that allows the pin brightness to be turned down. I think it is a 5500. I'll be using it this season.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Spot Hogg All The Way If You Get It And Think It Is Not Bright Enough Just Put There Light Kit On It For 20.00,i Have Never Had A Issue With The Pins Not Being Bright Enough With My Hogg,not Even At Dusk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK now which one?

I have decided on the spot-hogg. Now the ? is to get the hogg-it or hunter hogg-it. They are both close in price. I just wonder about hunting with the extension bar?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Hogg-it

I own three right now.

·
Registered
11,073 Posts
keepucool2 said:
I have decided on the spot-hogg. Now the ? is to get the hogg-it or hunter hogg-it. They are both close in price. I just wonder about hunting with the extension bar?
If you are only using the sight and the bar for hunting, I would just get the Hunter. I only went with the Hogg-It for the slightly better accuracy you get from the sight bar and also the ability to remove it and stick a different sight on if I want to use the bow in a different class for indoor.

·
32,710 Posts
Milhouse said:
I personally would go (and have gone) with the HHA, based on one thing: pin brightness. I owned spot Hogg sights, and they just seemed too dull, even in good light. The HHA pins look like they are on fire. Both sights are extremely well built, so I wouldn't worry about durability with either one.
He's absolutely right about the pin brightness, best or close to the best out there. I love mine.

·
32,710 Posts
keepucool2 said:
I have tried trophy ridge sights and am not impressed, how do people feel about the copper john deadnut pro III. can you put a lens on that sight? out of these three what do you think?
I've got the pro 111 ordered and I think it will be a dandy. I've just got to get use to the parallel pin design. Both of my other sights are verticle and I like verticle pins.

·
32,710 Posts
Mr. October said:
I've owned both sights. I killed a bunch of deer with the HHA. But now I have a Hogg-it . . . :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

That sight rocks! My pro-shop didn't carry them before I got mine. They gave it a look-see when it came in. I was in there today and they had 5 in stock now.

I'm not knocking the Optimizer. It is a good sight too but I think the Hogg-it is way better. The pins are dim though but I'm going to replace the fibers with longer ones to solve that problem. Also, I found the HHA to be too dim without the light and the light on mine used to alarm deer.
Boy, if you thought the pin was too dim on the HHA, you must have had one that was broke or something. Mine shines brighter than any sight I have. It is so bright that I can't see the X ring sometimes. :smile:

·
Registered
11,073 Posts
rembrandt said:
Boy, if you thought the pin was too dim on the HHA, you must have had one that was broke or something. Mine shines brighter than any sight I have. It is so bright that I can't see the X ring sometimes. :smile:
I guess I bought mine around '99 or so. The newer ones DO look a lot brighter especially with the green fibers. Mine had red and it was pretty dark without the light.

·
Registered
481 Posts
:thumbs_up
I was the last one in from the woods last season. My HHA was still picking up light were as my buddies could'nt see their pins any longer.My vote goes to HHA. :cool: :star: :star: :star: :star: :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
HHA gets my vote :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts