Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could use a little help deciding on which Spot Hogg sight and some help understanding how these sights adjust.

I currently have a Tru Glo Micro Sight. It's an awesome sight for the price and I love the incremental adjustments it has for wind-age and elevation. The only issue is the only pin you can truly adjust for elevation using the micro adjustments is the top pin and then the rest have to be moved up and down manually loosening and tightening with the Allen wrench.

Would I be correct in understanding that the Hunter Hogg-it and the Hogg-it sights have individual micro adjustment pins or are they also loosen and manually move? I'd really like to have the capability to tune each pin with micro adjustments which I could take out the human factor of hoping that I'm tightening it where I want.

I'm getting this sight for a new bow a Hoyt Maxxis 35 60-70lb, which I will mainly be target and 3-D shooting with and perhaps taking on a hunt a couple times a year.

Because of this I'm thinking I might like Hogg-it over the Hunter Hogg-it, but would appreciate some opinions.

Also I'm curious what you guys prefer for pin size, .10, or .19. I have descending pin size on my Truglo that goes from .29 .19 .19 .10 .10 I hate the .29 pin and almost think that the .10 would be best for all pins but I'm curious what others opinions are.

Lastly I'm thinking I'd like to set pins up from 20 yrds to 80 yrds in 10 yrd increments. Bare in mind that I plan to use this more for targets and I don't have any plans of taking shots out to 80yrds on game. So my thinking is that I should get a 7 pin sight whether I choose the Hogg-it or the Hunter Hogg-it but again opinions would be appreciated. My only worry with the 7 pin is that they might be to close with the new higher rated IBO speed of the Maxxis 35. I'm currently using a PSE Stinger 50-60lb maxxed out at 64lbs rated for 305 IBO (chrono at 262fps with 362gr arrows) The Maxxis is rated for an IBO of 318, so I'm thinking it won't be a big enough difference that I should be worried about crowding the pins but again opinions from those who know would be appreciated.

Sorry for all the questions but it's a spendy piece of equipment and I want to make the right decision.

Any suggestions on where I should buy one from once I decide?

Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have the 7 pin hogg it with .019 I like it. Personally dont think I would like the .010 But I came from a .029 sight. With sight housing fully extended on my Destroyer 340 shooting a 410 grain arrow my 20 and 30 yard pin are very close together. Almost destracting on those 2 shots for 3D. But after that they are spaced pretty far apart. I think they some of the sharpest clearest pins. Great sight.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I had the Hogg-it on all of my bows and last year changed to the Hunter Hogg-it. I am happy with the change.
I currently have .019 pins; I tried the .010 and they were too tiny for me. As I get older I am considering the .029 version. Something to consider.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I had the Hogg-it on all of my bows and last year changed to the Hunter Hogg-it. I am happy with the change.
I currently have .019 pins; I tried the .010 and they were too tiny for me. As I get older I am considering the .029 version. Something to consider.
I agree. ;)

Also I've broken some .010 as they are very delicate and small. not great for hunting situations in my opinion

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I have at least a few more years till my vision declines as I have above average vision now at 20/16. Some good valid points to ponder though.

I went to my first 3-D shoot today and the top .29 pin was annoying. The .10's seemed to work well although the .19 wasn't bad but I'm just not sure yet.

I'm also thinking I might get a 4X lens, should this affect my decision at all?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I just got a Spot-Hogg Hogg-It on here from Boarman1 at a great price. I went with the 5 pin with 3-.019 and 2-.010. I shot the first pin in at 30 yards and went in 10 yard increments from there. I wish I would have gotten 3 if not 4-.010 pins the .019 seams a litlle big at 40 yards. Definetly consider getting the .010 for 40 yard pins to 80 yards. Hope this helps it is just my experience and everyone is different.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just went out and decided to try using my 50 yard .10 pin at 20 yards on my current sight. Here's a picture after 4 arrows which made me decide I am going to go with all pins as .10 Sure some luck played some part of it but I can just focus more on a spot on the target when I use the smaller pin. Now I'm out $10.00 but I got a nice wall trophy out of it.

Any suggestions on the 7 pin or 5 pin and whether I should choose the Hunter Hogg-it or the regular Hogg-it would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well this one has nothing to do with skill as I just bought and started practicing with a recurve last weekend. However two Robin Hoods in one day especially with a recurve has to be some astronomical odds, so I thought I'd show this one too. I'll be saving these just for sentimental reasons but it also means I have $30 in arrows to replace.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts