Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Hogg Father and the Tommy Hogg are the two multipin scopes I am focussing on. I have also considered the MBG Ascent (no lens kit available) and the HHA FX series (quiver mounting issues). I would add the Boss Hogg to my list, but it looks like it might have the same quiver mounting issues because it has the rear controlled yardage adjustment like the HHA sights. I could be wrong though.

hoggfather.gif tommyhogg.gif

I have some questions in relation to my top two:

1) It says on the Spot Hogg site that the lens kits are not compatible with the "Bulletproof" technology. I am assuming that is referring to the pin supports, which I like a lot, but if that's the case, what housings are compatible with the lens kit? They all seem to feature the Bulletproof pins.

2) What are the differences (besides the price) between the Hogg Father and the Tommy Hogg? As far as I can tell (looking at pictures), the Hogg Father gets a dovetail, and a fancy windage knob. I'm sure I'm missing a lot. Fill me in.

3) If any of you have used these sights with the Tagged Out range finder, let me know how you liked it. Is it better to get the larger (2 3/8") housing or the smaller (2") one? Is it compatible with the lens kit?

4) How many levels of brightness does the Spot Hogg Sight Light Have? For $15, it seems like a good deal.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I can answer two of the questions you asked.

1.) When they refer to the lens not being compatible with the "Bullet Proof" they are refering to their Bullet Proof sight which is their entry level sight. The lens is compatible with all of their other sights, I believe.

4.) I have their Hunter Hogg-It wrapped 5 Pin sight with the light and it has 3 levels of brightness.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you to Dunk19 for answering questions 1 and 4. Is any one able to answer the last two (see below)?

2) What are the differences (besides the price) between the Hogg Father and the Tommy Hogg? As far as I can tell (looking at pictures), the Hogg Father gets a dovetail, and a fancy windage knob. I'm sure I'm missing a lot. Fill me in.

3) If any of you have used these sights with the Tagged Out range finder, let me know how you liked it. Is it better to get the larger (2 3/8") housing or the smaller (2") one? Is it compatible with the lens kit?

·
Never Forget
1,782 Posts
2) Those are the main differences from what i can tell. If you are worried with clearance issues, I would go with the tommy hogg. that knob on the hogg father may get in the way of your quiver.

3) I have never used the tagged out. sorry.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Don't worry about the set screw for the dove tail mount getting in the way of your quiver. Spot Hogg also sends with this sight, another set screw that is flush mount for the dove tail slider. The Hogg Nob is just another option for you to use that comes whith the sight.

·
Socket Man
24,696 Posts
Get the boss hogg, the turn knob in front of the riser is just in a bad ergo spot and is not right, secondly stop putting your quiver on your bow and mount it on your fanny pack or day pack and you will fall in love with it in less than a week and never go back.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
You didn't mention HHA but in case you want to consider it, I had a post on Tommy versus HHA DS. Tommy was built tough but much heavier and HHA is no slouch in quality.

As a "Hunting" site, I went HHA DS for several reasons. Brighter pin, dial was behind arrows in quiver (tommy dial was in middle), unlock on the HHA to adjust is quiet - the tommy clicks loud, HHA adjustment is smooth like ice - tommy has a rougher feel and has two adjustments and the fine one clicks loud, HHA comes with tapes and tuning/setup guide where tommy requires you buy a program and print tapes (I called Spot Hogg CS cause I found no tapes or setup).

HHA DS wins as a hunting sight for me and it accepts lenses if I wanted to play the games, which I don't. Also, HHA service is top notch, can't ask for better.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1696363

Of couse this is just IMO

·
Steeler Fan!
1,730 Posts
I own both. I use the Tommy for hunting and a hogg father for target. The only difference is the dovetail mount. I mount a tight spot to thethe tommy hogg and it works perfect. I prefer both of them over the boss hogg. Both would work good for hunting.

·
Socket Man
24,696 Posts
Bottom line is that all three are awesome and offer three different locations for the turn knob, so pick the one you think would suit you and you get the same build quality. I wish I had the hogg father for 3-d and spots because I really like the ease of moving from 20 to 50 yds and also have micro adjust compared to a surelock type slider.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You didn't mention HHA but in case you want to consider it, I had a post on Tommy versus HHA DS. Tommy was built tough but much heavier and HHA is no slouch in quality.

As a "Hunting" site, I went HHA DS for several reasons. Brighter pin, dial was behind arrows in quiver (tommy dial was in middle), unlock on the HHA to adjust is quiet - the tommy clicks loud, HHA adjustment is smooth like ice - tommy has a rougher feel and has two adjustments and the fine one clicks loud, HHA comes with tapes and tuning/setup guide where tommy requires you buy a program and print tapes (I called Spot Hogg CS cause I found no tapes or setup).

HHA DS wins as a hunting sight for me and it accepts lenses if I wanted to play the games, which I don't. Also, HHA service is top notch, can't ask for better.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1696363

Of couse this is just IMO
hha does not have a quiver mounting issue.
I own the DS-XL5519 and there is an issue with mounting one piece quivers. I have found a way to solve the problem, but in doing so, the quiver had to be spaced farther from the riser and because it's one of those Octane magnetic quivers (relatively heavy), it can make one side feel significantly heavier than the other.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't worry about the set screw for the dove tail mount getting in the way of your quiver. Spot Hogg also sends with this sight, another set screw that is flush mount for the dove tail slider. The Hogg Nob is just another option for you to use that comes whith the sight.
THanks for the information. Too bad though because that set screw is pretty cool, but a sacrifice that will have to be made regardless.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bottom line is that all three are awesome and offer three different locations for the turn knob, so pick the one you think would suit you and you get the same build quality. I wish I had the hogg father for 3-d and spots because I really like the ease of moving from 20 to 50 yds and also have micro adjust compared to a surelock type slider.
It looks like the Boss and the Tommy also feature that same micro adjust system as the Father (based on features list on Spot Hogg site), but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I own both. I use the Tommy for hunting and a hogg father for target. The only difference is the dovetail mount. I mount a tight spot to thethe tommy hogg and it works perfect. I prefer both of them over the boss hogg. Both would work good for hunting.
Sounds like you do almost the same stuff that I do (3D, the occasional 5 spot, and HUNT). I'm glad to hear that you think they would both work well for hunting (I'm only getting one). I've seen the Tight Spot on the Tommy before and it looks great and very close to the riser, but I'm still not certain about the Hogg Father in that regard. Though QCBowman assures me that with an alternative screw on the dovetail there will be no issue, I've never seen any examples. I's not that I don't believe him, I'd just like to see some pictures.

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
I have the Boss Hogg and Hogg Father and love both.
The Hogg Father is the, overall, most versatile sight on the market, imo.
It has the length needed for 3-D or target use but has the finish and features to make it a great sight for hunting too.
It will accept the one pin or multi pin wrapped housings just like the Boss and Tommy.
It's built hell for strong also !
The only negative is the increased price but it's worth it to me.
I hunted with my Hogg Father this past season with no issues at all.
I use the Kwikee Quiver that I remove at my stand but, even with a quiver left on the bow, there are no clearance issues with the Bull Knob.
Besides, it's the sight Lee and Tiffany use for hunting. :cool: :thumbs_up
The next sight I get for a new bow will be another Hogg Father !

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have the Boss Hogg and Hogg Father and love both.
The Hogg Father is the, overall, most versatile sight on the market, imo.
It has the length needed for 3-D or target use but has the finish and features to make it a great sight for hunting too.
It will accept the one pin or multi pin wrapped housings just like the Boss and Tommy.
It's built hell for strong also !
The only negative is the increased price but it's worth it to me.
I hunted with my Hogg Father this past season with no issues at all.
I use the Kwikee Quiver that I remove at my stand but, even with a quiver left on the bow, there are no clearance issues with the Bull Knob.
Besides, it's the sight Lee and Tiffany use for hunting. :cool: :thumbs_up
The next sight I get for a new bow will be another Hogg Father !
Wow. I'm sold on the condition that when I go to the dealer, I'm not completely turned off by something about the sight. It looks great on that rig (that stab. is sweet). I have just been thinking that if I got the Tommy, I would want the Father in a month or two and that would not be any good for my wallet. If it is versatile (both hunting and 3D), and it allows quivers to sit tight to the riser, I'm getting it. Thanks for the picture.

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
Love the sight and has 3 settings. The hogg father is like the hogg father of target sights and the tommy is made for hunting IMO. I am also looking at the tagged out but don't know if I want it since it is only accurate to plus or minus 2 yards which can make a difference at longer yardages. If you want a dovetail then go with the hogg father. If you don't want a dovetail go with the tommy. I don't know about the lens kits on any of them but recommend the wrapped and bullet proof pins because they are indestructible and if you don't want a sight light they still get super bright in low light.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After thinking about how the Tagged out system works, I think a lens would screw it up. Imagine that you have a 4x lens on as well as a tagged out system and you have a muley in your scope. If you go to range it with the tagged out system, it would appear, in theory, four times closer and, therefore, four times larger. This would cause the tagged out system to give you an inaccurate read. So... I think you have to pick one or the other.

As for the quiver mounting issues, I got a hold of Tight Spot and asked specifically about the Hogg Father (I already know the Tommy works extremely well with it). They said that it was dependent on how I had adjusted the dovetail. If the dovetail of the sight bar is as far forward as it can go, I can get the tightest fit. If the dovetail bar extends back past the accessory holes in the sight mounting bracket, I will have to flip the quiver mounting bracket over (facing away from the bow), which will allow you to slide the quiver in tight but only as tight as the dovetail bar of the sight. The difference between the two is the thickness of the sight mounting bracket which is about a half inch. Based on this, I'm wondering if I can get my dovetail adjusted to where I want it, and have it cut or cut it myself at the back of the mounting bracket to allow the Tight Spot to fit as tightly as possible. Otherwise, I might find that the 1/2" difference isn't anything to worry about and I prefer to be able to adjust my dovetail.

Regarding the light... It's a bargain at $15 and some have suggested that it could improve pin visibility of the small (0.010") pins with a lens and clarifier, though I'll have to see that before I believe it. I don't even know if I'm going to have trouble seeing the small pins.

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
You shouldn't have a problem with seeing the .010 pins and I don't and when they are lit up they look like .019 pins. I love my sight light and they also fit on other brands as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts