Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to give it to spott hogg, the heard the complaints and adjusted. Their sight light now has an adjustable dimmer to it!

The new ones have a black light instead of the brass.

Gotta love a company that listens!

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
If they really lisented then all of the sights would come standard with some Fitz SD fibers.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The newer ones are being sent with the new light.

As far as the fibers go, I had replaced them with longer fibers, but since switched back to the originals, I find them plenty bright, and with the light, forget about it!

·
Registered
12,057 Posts
I'm using the Fitz light bracket and their 4-position light. Works great, especially the bracket, except the light requires a little wiggling to get avoid "flickering". Somewhere in there a contact is not good. It works fine once you find the right spot, but the slop in the positioning is annoying. I haven't gone further than cleaning the batteries yet so I may still be able to correct it... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
hoove said:
The newer ones are being sent with the new light.

As far as the fibers go, I had replaced them with longer fibers, but since switched back to the originals, I find them plenty bright, and with the light, forget about it!

You know what P&Y's stance is on lights don't you??????

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks

Hoove-

Thanks for the compliment. It is always nice to hear positve feedback.

Easy keeper-

The light is not up on the website yet, but it will be shortly.

Hooks-

The tolerances on our parts do not allow us to film dip them in a camo pattern. Film dipping can change the dimensions as much as .010" and since most of our parts are +/- .002", film dipping is not an option. It is possible to annodize the parts in "camo", unfortunately none of the anodizing actually looks like camoflauge.

Brown Hornet-

We are using fiber from a fiber manufacturer called Nanoptics,Inc. The fiber we have been using is their Bright Super Flex which is optimized for brightness for applications using lengths six inches or less. It is 100% Optical Grade acrylic fiber, and has a minimum bend radius equal to 5 times the diameter of the fiber.

I think that if you do a little research on the Fitz SD fibers you might be surprised at how "similar" our fibers are.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
LittlePig said:
Hoove-

Thanks for the compliment. It is always nice to hear positve feedback.

Easy keeper-

The light is not up on the website yet, but it will be shortly.

Hooks-

The tolerances on our parts do not allow us to film dip them in a camo pattern. Film dipping can change the dimensions as much as .010" and since most of our parts are +/- .002", film dipping is not an option. It is possible to annodize the parts in "camo", unfortunately none of the anodizing actually looks like camoflauge.

Brown Hornet-

We are using fiber from a fiber manufacturer called Nanoptics,Inc. The fiber we have been using is their Bright Super Flex which is optimized for brightness for applications using lengths six inches or less. It is 100% Optical Grade acrylic fiber, and has a minimum bend radius equal to 5 times the diameter of the fiber.

I think that if you do a little research on the Fitz SD fibers you might be surprised at how "similar" our fibers are.

Holy Cow!! I'm glad you replied. I was thinking of getting one of mine dipped. I probably would have ruined it. Thanks

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I just received one of the new dimmer lights and it really appears to be Spot-Hogg quality. I haven't actually shot it, but it looks like it will stand the punishment and has a very positive off. I am very satified with it and would highly recommend it.

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
LittlePig said:
Brown Hornet-

Thanks for the info. However I don't need to do any research as I own a Hogg It (best sight on the market). It is also fitted with Fitz Fibers...and though I love my Hogg It....the fibers are no where close to being as bright as the ones I replaced them with from Fitz.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Does the light still attach to the pin guard the same way? I thought that was part of the problem as well.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Brown Hornet said:
You know what P&Y's stance is on lights don't you??????
I'm not really concerned about it, I'm not hunting to have my name in a book. Plus, I don't think there are many around where I hunt.
As far as lights on the sights and extra bright fibers go, I could ask "Do you know what the Game Commisions stance is on staying in your stand after "legal" hunting hours.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Got home from work and my Spot Hogg Hunter was in the mail. While I was waiting for it, I read all the posts about - the pins aren't bright enough - an replacing them w/ Fitz fibers, etc. etc.

Well here in PA it was 20 minutes past legal hunting when I stepped outside with the new sight and my 60 year old eyes had no trouble picking up the pins.

First impression was a good impression - the factory fibers seemed fine for me.

Sure I've seen brighter pins at the archey shops but really - how bright do you folks need your pins?

(Just my 2-cents :embara: )

·
Registered
606 Posts
Those of us who hunt on the ground from a blind find bright pins essential. I have found that, although I love my Spot-Hogg sight my HHA single pin sight is much brighter.

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
hoove said:
I'm not really concerned about it, I'm not hunting to have my name in a book. Plus, I don't think there are many around where I hunt.
As far as lights on the sights and extra bright fibers go, I could ask "Do you know what the Game Commisions stance is on staying in your stand after "legal" hunting hours.

I understand about the book I am not worried about it either....however if a 160+ class buck gives me a shot he is goin in the book.

I do know what the Game Commisions stance is on staying in your stand after "legal" hunting hours. But the last time I checked it starts to get dark in the woods WWWWAAAAAAYYYYY before "legal" hunting time is up. I don't hunt on field edges, and guys that hunt from a blind have even more problems.

Also there are plenty of P&Y bucks walking around in PA.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Blind to Blind Huntin'

Smokegrub - good point! I don't hunt from a ground blind, so wasn't considering that lighting condition. :embara:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Brown Hornet said:
If they really lisented then all of the sights would come standard with some Fitz SD fibers.
I agree with that. There pins are a little dull, but it is a great sight other than that. We can not use anything attached to our bow with a battery in it here in Idaho, so I have no need for a light.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
What about film dipping and leaving the critical tolerance pieces cleaned of camo dip?

I owned a Hogg It for the last 4 yrs.. and it was and is one of the best sights on the market.. but that doesn't mean that it can't be improved upon. And ask anyone on here... the stock fibers are nowhere near as bright as they should be (one of the reasons I sold mine)... and the fibers aren't very durable either. If I still had a Hogg It... I would switch to the Fitz in a heartbeat.. brighter and much more durable. Also the SH light bracket is a bit cheesy to say the least. I expected soo much more from a company like Spot Hogg. The light kit from Fitz is more along the lines of what one would expect. I am in no way associated w/ Fitz.. just posting my own personal opinions.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Brown Hornet said:
the last time I checked it starts to get dark in the woods WWWWAAAAAAYYYYY before "legal" hunting time is up.
Can't really argue with that

1 - 20 of 20 Posts