Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a couple of posts where people are talking about the wraps on the spot hogg sights been noisey, but havent seen ant solutions anyone has come up with. Has anyone found a way top quiet them?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
this is pretty common or at least that I have found with any fiber optic sight. I have a sur-loc lethal weapon with longer fibers and have the same issue.

When you really boil it down, the sight isn't louder than the bow going off.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Tunerz!

I have been fighting this for the last year. You can do a search here using the word "Tunerz" and find out what I and a few others have found.

The newer sights, (most all of them are fiber optic) are getting longer and longer and with more and more interconnected parts. As a result, the potential for noise caused by vibration has increased. While this noise is not deafening, it's more than many of us can live with.

I personally don't think I should have to live with noise coming from a $200 sight like my Spott Hogg. The problem primarily is caused by the newer high performance bows that generate a lot of energy. The energy that is not used by propelling the arrow down range is being absorbed directly into the riser via what now seems to be a mandatory STS device.

While much of this residual energy can be disipated via stabilizers, limb savers etc, a good portion of it goes to that large "tuning fork" type device we call a sight.

There are really only a couple of options for eliminating the noise. You can opt for a smaller, more compact sight. Otherwise, I have found two divices available that help. The first is a triangular frame w a sims mounted on it that mounts directly the the sight bar. The second is a small rubber strap w a sims mounted on it called a Tunerz. I use the Tunerz.

On my Allegiance, they work good w one around the riser just above and below where the sight mounts to the riser. On my GTO, that did not work as well. I put one around the sight itself and another around the riser where the sight bolts to it. Worked out pretty good and much quieter.

If anyone comes up with something that works better, I would like to hear about it too.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured mine out. It was just the light. I took the light off and there was no noise or vibration at all. What happened with mine is when I turn the light off, if I back the cap out too far, the batteries rattling against the cap is what I was hearing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.