Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in some new hunting sights. I currently shoot .029 pins but would like to(if my eyes allow me) shoot .019s. I have noticed that when I look at real bright pins they really have a bad halo effect due to my astigmatism. Pins that aren't so bright are better for me. That being said, I am looking at both the Sword and Spot Hogg lines. I really like the Twilight Hunter and the Spot Hoggs Real Deal. Which is brighter? Which do you like better? Can I tone them down if they are too bright(with black tape or something like that)? Also, does anybody shoot blue fibers? I talked to the guy at Sword and he told me a little about the blue fibers.....do you like them?

Also, would a verifier or clarifier help me?

·
Registered
93 Posts
if you want a duller pin then i would go with the spot hogg the sword seems to be brighter

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I have the Spot-hogg real deal wrapped in .19 fiber optics I think they are awsome they don't seem to be super bright like a lot of other wrapped pins I have a set of MBG sky lights that seem to be brighter. I also have bad eyes I don't know if my eyes are as bad as yours but recently had to get glasses. Hope this helps

·
Archer helping Archers
1,328 Posts
I have the spott hogg wrapped with the 0.10 pins. They're very crisp with no halo. I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have the Spot-hogg real deal wrapped in .19 fiber optics I think they are awsome they don't seem to be super bright like a lot of other wrapped pins I have a set of MBG sky lights that seem to be brighter. I also have bad eyes I don't know if my eyes are as bad as yours but recently had to get glasses. Hope this helps

My eyes actually aren't real bad. I had lasik a few years ago and it didn't correct all of my astigmatism. I still have a few steps of astigmatism. Also, during low light my pupil dialates past for lack of an easier term the "corrected area" on my cornea. This also causes a little blurriness.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I just got the Sword Twilight with .019 fibers alternating in green orange green orange and love the sight. Please note that I wear no-line bifocals, am 50 yrs old and for me I would not shoot anything smaller than .019. They are plenty small with no halo effect, at least not for me. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I would go with the Spott Hogg and get a sun shade to try, it won't make a drastic difference but it will help especially when the sun is in a bad position.

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just got the Sword Twilight with .019 fibers alternating in green orange green orange and love the sight. Please note that I wear no-line bifocals, am 50 yrs old and for me I would not shoot anything smaller than .019. They are plenty small with no halo effect, at least not for me. :darkbeer:
Can you cover part of the fiber optics with tape if it is too bright? I have never seen a Sword up close. Do the fibers run through the length of the sight bar or do they wrap or coil?

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I have an Apex hunter and a Apex 3rd plane from Sword. The fiber optics run out the side of the arpeture and down beside the pin screws and back into the arpeture. They are aprox 6 " long. The 3rd plane has .010 and the hunter has .019. I do not like long fibers because of the "halo" effect you get. I also found that green does not "halo" as bad as any other color ( for me that is ). So my sights have all green pins.:wink: The verifiers you can buy will make the pins look "crisp" but it in turn will cause the target to be blurry.

·
Archer helping Archers
1,328 Posts
you could do that with the wrapped spott hogg

Can you cover part of the fiber optics with tape if it is too bright? I have never seen a Sword up close. Do the fibers run through the length of the sight bar or do they wrap or coil?

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
sights

All the new swords have a three position light so you can choose intensity

1 - 12 of 12 Posts