how good are they?
is anyone using them?
any results?
pros and cons?
i he battery issues with mine, still searching for new bateries

·
Registered
11,944 Posts
$48 for one ??? wow, I will stick to my slick tricks. I would have to take a metal detector with me if I hunted with those.

·
Banned
944 Posts
There is an arch in archery. There is no such thing in a laser beam. Each head you buy will have to be sighted in for a specific distance and will be good for only that distance. If its a red laser, it will be useless unless you only hunt in the shadows. From the online ad.

"Every Spot-On Laser features an adjustable set screw that allows the beam to be adjusted 24" of elevation at 30 yards as well as for windage. This allows each broadhead and arrow to be 'sighted in' with deadly, pin-point accuracy out to 70 yards! - See more at: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/spot-on-laser-broadhead"

I work/play with lasers and tried to apply this to archery and it was a failure. You think you have a steady aim until you see that little red dot dancing wildly all over the target face. It will drive you nuts.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll post some pics with my spot on broadhead. Indeed it has an adjustable screw, but i haven't got to test it because of bettery failure.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The way it works is it has a small magnet that you attach to the bow, slightly in front of the arrow rest, and as you draw, the arrow broadhead reaches right above the magnet which activates the laser. The laser is iserted inside the broadhead, it doesn't have an on/off button, it's activated by the magnet. The broadhead has a hollow point tip through which the laser beam travels and has a small screw on one side which helps you align the laser with your sight. Pretty damn easy, single complicated thing is the activasion method.
What do you think? C'mon, no one has used one before?

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
There is a reason no one has used them before. How the heck would it even be applicable to hunting....

Oh shoot I got my 20 yard broadhead on. Hey mr deer out there at 40 yards, can you just stay there while I switch arrows......please stay there.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, it' s simple, just like sight pins. Everybody has a prefered hunting distance, 20, 30, 40 yards. What do they do? Wait for the animal to close the distance untill perfect and then shoot. The same as with the laser. You set it for a prefered distance and wait for the game to come close enough. It seems to me that you haven't noticed that the laser broadhead has a small screw that helps the shooter align laser with pins.
If you say it's illegal in texas to put a light on a game animal, how come there are lots of youtube videos with night bowhunting using red or green lights? Is this illegal in all states or just a couple?

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
In most states it is illegal to cast a light on a "game animal" the night hunting is typically for nuisance animals or predators. If it were legal I see a couple problems besides the obvious it is only good at one distance. That hollow core will fill with blood/tissue etc going through an animal so I don't know how easy it is to clean out or how sensitive the electronics in the switch are so it may be a one and done deal, plus in bright sunlight you most likely wouldn't be able to see that laser on the animal. I have laser grips on a couple pistols and on bright days they are difficult to see on certain targets.

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
Well, it' s simple, just like sight pins. Everybody has a prefered hunting distance, 20, 30, 40 yards. What do they do? Wait for the animal to close the distance untill perfect and then shoot. The same as with the laser. You set it for a prefered distance and wait for the game to come close enough. It seems to me that you haven't noticed that the laser broadhead has a small screw that helps the shooter align laser with pins.
If you say it's illegal in texas to put a light on a game animal, how come there are lots of youtube videos with night bowhunting using red or green lights? Is this illegal in all states or just a couple?
first off poachers will do anything, secondly tv hunters are not much better,look how many of them get ticketed for this or that and even arrested how can you even tell what state something was actually filmed in,,you can edit anything on film,,, we now forest gump did not shake hands with kennedy but it sure looked like he did

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In most states it is illegal to cast a light on a "game animal" the night hunting is typically for nuisance animals or predators. If it were legal I see a couple problems besides the obvious it is only good at one distance. That hollow core will fill with blood/tissue etc going through an animal so I don't know how easy it is to clean out or how sensitive the electronics in the switch are so it may be a one and done deal, plus in bright sunlight you most likely wouldn't be able to see that laser on the animal. I have laser grips on a couple pistols and on bright days they are difficult to see on certain targets.
I see your point, but the laser is meant to be used in low light conditions. First of all this is the reason why it was created, to help shooters in low light. At one point, after sun set, seeing the peep gets tricky and so does aligning it with the pins. Only an idiot would use the laser in bright day light.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Regarding the hollow tip, that's detachable, you can clean it after every shot. I don't know about the laser's internals risking to be damaged by debree when penetrating through tissue. It might happen. I'll know for sure after i hunt something with it. Till then fi gers crossed.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I know that it has a set screw, I read that. Unlike sight pins most guys can gap shoot. So it is used in combination with your sight pins? If so then I see absolutely no reason to have one. If you are saying it is to aid in lowlight situations then it is no longer legal shooting time where I am from. Shooting hrs are 30 min prior to sunrise to 30 min after sunset. I am able to see well enough to shoot outside of those hours as it is.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts