Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to ask. When your aiming (lets say at a vegas 3 spot target) do you aim dead center? What I mean by this is, I heard this the other day, that some archers may aim at bottom of target. I tried this today. Instead of aiming dead center, I aimed at 6 o'clock yellow/red and adjusted my sight so I'd hit center X. It seemed for me that I found the center a lot more. I seemed to aim a little smoother with more ease. It seemed I didnt have to fight to keep pin dead center. If you have tried this or do shoot this way, does this help long term or is this a quick fix that will resort back to old ways? Any info would be great.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I use to shoot like that before I bought a good sight that I could make micro adjustments with. My sight was set just right of the X. But once I got my spot hogg I have set it up dead center. Seams I shoot about the same either way. I know some guys have a hard time hit the X if there pin is covering it up. So I don't think it matters either way, shoot both and see which one works better for you.

·
X-Ray
2,292 Posts
Aim

I aim at the center. it will float and you just have to keep you eye on the x.
trying to keep it dead center is adding to your float because you trying to
force it. let it float and execute a good shot.
good luck.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
If you do a search you will find a lot of threads discussing this. Usually its seen as a form of target panic were they are NOT aiming low on purpose but for some reason can not aim at the center but lock up low. In my opinion I would not start a bad habit and go back to aiming at the center. Try to focus on the spot not your pin.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I don't like covering up the X.
If you like a 6oclock hold I think you would like an aiming ring even more.
Just stare down what you want to hit.Let your eye center everything and execute the shot.

·
Back Yard Champion
28,973 Posts
??? Suggest you look around and see what the real good shooters are using. Like some coaches suggest, I use a large pin for 5 Spots, 040", and let it float within the 5 ring. Of the Vegas face, I perfer a larger dot that will float within the 9 ring. Basically; You cover up the X. The pin is able to float within the 5 or 9 ring and this gives you both horizontal and vertical sighting. Keeping the pin over the X, so to speak, and the sight adjusted so the arrow hits the center of your pin. Figure this; the arrow hits center of the pin or dot and the pin or dot stays within the 5 or 9 ring, the arrow should hit center. The thing is; the center of the target is the center for every ring on the target. You make your round pin or round dot part of the target and you're at center and so should your arrow... if everything goes right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts