Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be putting one of these on my new bow for 3d/hunting...What is the advantage of the Dovetail vs normal sight? Those of you using the fast Eddie what is preferred? Thanks

·
Registered
261 Posts
With the dovetail you have the advantage to move the Scope foreward. It can help your accuracy and also if you have a slow bow und you like to shoot long distances, because the possible adjustment in yards increases with a longer eye-scope distance...
Rest is the same...

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Ummmm that’s not right. The closer the sight is to the riser the more distance you will get out of it. The further the sight is away from the riser the more accurate they are. I personally run the sights in close to the riser cause I like to shoot 150 yards before fletching contact, plus I use a .10 pin so that’s help. You will see greater float and more movement mounted further away. The nice thing about a dovetail is you can adjust the rail to fit your peep housing size.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Ummmm that’s not right. The closer the sight is to the riser the more distance you will get out of it. The further the sight is away from the riser the more accurate they are. I personally run the sights in close to the riser cause I like to shoot 150 yards before fletching contact, plus I use a .10 pin so that’s help. You will see greater float and more movement mounted further away. The nice thing about a dovetail is you can adjust the rail to fit your peep housing size.
^ yup.

But having your pins right on top of each other sucks. The further out the sight hangs the more precisely you'll be able to set your pins (or set your moveable).

It's a trade-off. The ability to aim more precisely versus your ability to hold on target. Just like scope magnification.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Gear Nut
369 Posts
I will point out that the regular fast eddie mounts pretty far from the riser. There is only one set of mounting holes on that so you can't get it closer.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was lookin at getting the double, I like how the two are stacked. Not sure if I will go with the .10 or .19 though. Shooting longer distances has started to become an obsession for me while practicing I like to see how far out I can get decent groups...

·
Registered
11,298 Posts
Hey Rawood

I was shooting the Single pin fast eddie XL and just switched to the double pin. I only hunt and haven't shot it much because of the nasty weather but it's pretty awesome. only downside I should have gotten the double pin from the start

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Rawood

I was shooting the Single pin fast eddie XL and just switched to the double pin. I only hunt and haven't shot it much because of the nasty weather but it's pretty awesome. only downside I should have gotten the double pin from the start

good to hear!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I chose the XL for the further distance from riser to increase accuracy and also the ability to remove my sight if I ever fly with my bow.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Here's my 2 cents. I recently switched from the tommy hogg to the fast eddie xl. The nice thing about the xl is that you can bring the sight in close to the riser if you don't like it far out (similar to the regular fast eddie). Also, my bow didn't fit very well in my bunk bed style case with the sight on. The xl allows me to quickly take it off without any worry of it being off when I put it back on. I had .010 on the tommy hogg which isn't very bright in a low light scenario such as hunting. I ordered the fast eddie in .019 - I was worried that .010 would be even smaller yet if I had the sight extended out a long ways from the riser.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts