Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have just recently put spray on fletching on my alum. arrows and now i am having trouble with my vanes comeing off after several shot,,has anyone tried the crest with alum. arrows and had any luck,,am i just doing somthing wrong??

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am using rust oleum specialty lacuer

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
PSEsilverhawk said:
i am using rust oleum specialty lacuer
Then I don't know. That worked fine on my carbons.

I used Loc-Tite Super Glue Gel and you can't pull the vanes off with a pair of pliers..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im using alum. arrows,,i did use loc-tite superglue but it was not the gel type

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
PSEsilverhawk said:
im using alum. arrows,,i did use loc-tite superglue but it was not the gel type
Is the paint coming off with the vanes?

If so, did you clean the shafts well before painting.

I used acetone on mine..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes paint coming off too,, i used 70% rubbing alcohol on them,,it work when fletching the arrows and cant pull them off,,though about acetone,,but dont know where to get it,,and will be using a/c/c next year and im worried about the acetone hurting the shafts,,heard that it is bad on them

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
PSEsilverhawk said:
yes paint coming off too,, i used 70% rubbing alcohol on them,,it work when fletching the arrows and cant pull them off,,though about acetone,,but dont know where to get it,,and will be using a/c/c next year and im worried about the acetone hurting the shafts,,heard that it is bad on them

You are using rubbing alcohol. 70% alcohol 30% oil. Try denatured alcohol of the acetone both available at walmart in the paint section

·
Custom callmaker
3,473 Posts
I tried the spray and fletch last week with similar results. Not worth the hassel. I now km=now why they dip crest. You take a short cut and you get what you pay for.

I sprayed carbons and tried regular laquer and the new plastic fusion paint. It seemed good till I put on fletch. The solvet in the glue softened paint. I let it dry 2 days. And it bonded pretty good. But after shooting couple days the fletch came off. The glue held, the paint actually came off/with the glue and fletch. Plus the paint wore quickly on target.

I do paint alot I did use acetone and fine paper. I did not prime though.

Willl go back to the dip, or may just use a 1/2" wide reflective vinyl behind fleth and call it good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts