Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
364 Posts
I tried it on old broken Xt hunters and didn't have much luck. I used a laquer base spray and tried the plain old $.99 cans at Walmart. I put the white on and let it dry then put on a clear coat. The paint was coming right off of the shaft after I fletched the arrows. I tried Fletchtite Platinum and Duravane adhesive and they both did the same thing. The Fletchtite is a laquer base so it should have worked.:confused: For the trouble you are much better off just getting the wraps in my opinion.

· Registered
1,785 Posts
so far so good

i have tried this method and so far it's workng fine. i cleaned the shafts with commet or ajax before painting and used rustoluem lacquer high luster paint. put the vanes on with loctite gel.

· Registered
250 Posts
There's quite a thread on here about Spray cresting, do a search - it's very informative.
I've done quite a few for myself and a few of my buddies and it's holding up great (we all shoot WB).
Make sure that you use a clear laquer as the first and final coat, I usually give it 2 -3 coats on the last step.
I don't know if this makes much difference, but I always use a white laquer as the 1st. paint to be applied. It helps bring brighten the other colors applied next and it's an additional hard coat to adhere to.
I then apply whichever fluorescent that I'm going to use (usually two coats) and then finish up with another 2-3 coats of clear.
I've done this with both blazers and feathers and have found that they both hold well, I use the AAE Fast set gel, but others use different and have great results.

Hope this helps :wink:

Steamin

· Registered
17 Posts
spray crests

I just started useing spray can laquer paint and a fluorescent green paint to make fadded crests and it is working good. I just do one coat of white laquer and when you put the green on you need to make sure not to get any green were your vanes will go cause the vanes wont stick. Heres a pic of one i made yesterday and shot it about 20-30 times today through a wisker biscuit. So far it works good. I tried this on a aluminum arrow and it peeled off but on my carbons it is holding real well. I got a windows media video off the internet that shows you exactly how to do it but i cant find the web address for it so i will have to look around and find it again. Hope this helps.
Nate

Attachments

· Registered
32 Posts
I've been using Kustum Kolors model paint which is available at WalMart in the toy section. It comes in both spray cans and the small bottles which you can use with brushes or an airbrush.
For best results use a base coat, then a color coat and any cresting and follow up with a clear coat. All are available in the same brand.
I use Goat Tuff and have never had a problem, it bonds great and doesn't react with the paint.
There are a lot of great colors including neons, flat, metallics and candy colors. They also make some cool paints that change from one color to another depending how light hits them. I use these for my 3D arrows.
Good luck and I hope this helps.

· Registered
32 Posts
I almost forgot. I use a motor to turn my shafts while I spray them. You can use a drill or a cresting motor. I can spray a dozen shafts in a half hour per coat. I use 2 thin coats of base and 2 of color. Use steel wool lightly between coats. It should work out great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.