Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a TT spring steel rest that makes a fair amount of noise when the shot goes off. I have tuned the bow to shoot a almost perfect hole without a tear and the nock is about 1/8" above horizontal but not liking the noise. Is the noise common with this type of rest? Is there anything I can do to dampen the noise. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Cut a piece of shrink tubing, slide it over the launcher and heat it up. Let me know if that takes care of it.

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
John Dudley "tunes" his spring steel launchers to make a "ting" sound at each shot! Go to his website and read the articles about setting them up!:teeth:

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
mine have always been a little louder than other rests. But I would take the accuracy and simplicity of a spring steel rest for my target set-ups any day, regardless of the noise they make :shade: :darkbeer:

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spring steel rest noise

Thanks, that is the noise, I will try and find his site. This is my first spring steel rest, was used to a drop away that is much more quiet.

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
No problem! I have tried a bunch of John's techniques...like being able to shoot a spring steel launcher with the cock vane down!! It works!! If the rest is tuned properly, the arrow with the cock vane down will group with the arrows with the cock vane up!! Very forgiving set-up!!:smile:

Thanks, that is the noise, I will try and find his site. This is my first spring steel rest, was used to a drop away that is much more quiet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Forgive me for hi-jacking the thread but if got a similar question related to my TT Spring Steel rest.

I'm shooting a Hoyt Pro-Elite (XT3500) with a TT Spring Steel rest (.10 blade). Almost every time I draw an arrow, my arrow "jumps" of the rest. I'm used to it by now, but it's very very annoying. My draw cycle is "smooth" so I'm not jerking the arrow back. Is there a solution to help me?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
soften or relax your bow hand,a hard or tense bow hand is what causes the arrow to jump off the rest while you draw the bow.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Forgive me for hi-jacking the thread but if got a similar question related to my TT Spring Steel rest.

I'm shooting a Hoyt Pro-Elite (XT3500) with a TT Spring Steel rest (.10 blade). Almost every time I draw an arrow, my arrow "jumps" of the rest. I'm used to it by now, but it's very very annoying. My draw cycle is "smooth" so I'm not jerking the arrow back. Is there a solution to help me?
Try taking a fine file and very lightly filing the leading edge of the tongue where the arrow slides. They tend to have a very sharp edge there or even a microscopic burr. When this is removed they draw smooth as silk. They corner of the steel catches the arrow and it pops upward as it goes across it. It will make your arrow chatter so to speak. Also, a .10 blade can be very critical to the angle it is set on although with a TT I believe that your angle is fixed so probably not a problem. Also make sure that you are shooting a stiff enough blade for your arrow weight. Filing is probably your cure though.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
John Dudley "tunes" his spring steel launchers to make a "ting" sound at each shot! Go to his website and read the articles about setting them up!:teeth:
Also my first time setting up a spring steel launcher.

I'd like to read Dudley's articles but cannot find his web site.

Would someone post a link please?

Thanks, Carl

1 - 12 of 12 Posts